Ok i think my coil pack just died??

Audiman99

Reaction score
Hey was driving along fine today, then filled up with petrol. As I started my car the engine went crazy and started jumping around all over the place, really lumpy idle and no power at all. Whenever I tried to accelerate just a tad the engine management light flashes up. Took ages to get home at 25mph.

I’m in the process of charging my old laptop so I can do a vag scan to find out which coil it is, but does anyone know if it’s safe to drive a shirt journey, my work is 10 mins away and I start at 6am 2moro morning!

Also the 2 coils that are visible keep popping up out of the sockets, I push them down again and after a drive they have popped up again, how can I sort this?

Thanks for your help guys

Allan

You will be pumping Oil into the Cat by driving it like that. Not sure, sounds like coilpack trouble to me.. I would grab a bike if I was you...

Do a search, many similar issues on here.. Good luck

Yep, not wise to drive with a blown coil pack as you are putting unburnt petrol through the catalyst which won't do it any good. Best avoid driving if at all possible, especially if you've got two dodgy coil packs.

Mine went on Monday, altough mine never popped out like your's have. As above, I would get them fixed before driving as you could knacker the cat which is more costly than a couple of coilpacks!!

You need the push in coil packs, not the screw in ones. They're £29 each from Audi Dealer or slightly cheaper from vagparts or eurocarparts. Think the code for the latest revision ends in 115(R). Like Clach says, plenty of info on here!

Hope that helps!

awesome cheers guys, looks like i might borrow the old girls car 2moro morning, she wont miss it ill be home by half 2 hopefully.

Audi dealer here i come!

scanned it and it didnt say anything about missfire, only something about low pressure between turbo and dv, now every time i try scanning again it comes up with a comms error!

WTF im not spending 30 quid for nothing!

I had very similar a few months ago.
As it turned out it was 2x loose spark plugs, which were popping the packs up, this basically fried the coilpacks.
Ended up changing set of plugs and 3 coilpacks in the end.

Hey there mate, as for driving with a blown coil pack its not advisable but when mine went I drove around 10-15Miles on the motorway to get home, so by the time I arrived my cat was stinking of fuel and it sounded clogged up, but it drove fine after the new packs were installed so I would say not advisable driving but it can be done =). Check all your pipes for any leaks or loose ends. Last time I got that message was when my DV came out from one end and the next time was when an IC pipe came loose, worth checking them all over

Thx for the help guys i didnt know wot the prob as my vagcom doesnt work. So went out and bought 3 new igniton coils and a set of spark plugs. Turns out my first 2 spark plugs were loose and burnt to a crisp and the 4th igniton coil was dead. Running amazing now, so smooth and quiet and idles much better.

Also decided to stick my air box back on with an aftermarket element and took off the n75j valve, all is well except the engine management light is still on??? it doesnt flash like it did when it was missfiring but it just stays on.

Any ideas guys?

Thanks

Allan