S3 Sound

FazS3

Reaction score
Hi there to all, i have just recently purchased my 1st audi s3.Im having problems with rear door speakers and sub once the volume is turned up above the halfway. It is installed with the factory jl audio sub and amp i have had a few suggestions that it maybe the amp any help would be much appreciated cheers fellas.

Factory jl audio sub and amp? Dont you mean bose? Get some pics up mate would be easier!

well its a jl audio stealth sub which sits in the rear quarter panel and power by an alpine amp.

Actually its not factory buddy its the JL audio sub that sits on the same place replacing the old one and he's got a Amp installed behind rear quarter panel of the passenger in the back powering the rear speakers and sub.
Its also got after market speakers but what Faz is sayin once it goes over certain volume speakers cut out (and sub) and sounds like only fronts are working.

P.s. i owned it previously so i know.. jus not the problem. :happy:

Oh so this is the mate that was going to buy it...Welcome buddy....about your question a guy called andymac is normally THE MAN to speak to on here regarding I.C.E! Post this in the in-car audio section too if not done already..

Oh so this is the mate that was going to buy it...Welcome buddy....about your question a guy called andymac is normally THE MAN to speak to on here regarding I.C.E! Post this in the in-car audio section too if not done already..

Yep this is him.
He bought it just a little problem with the sound but apart from that... the car is STILL AWESOME. So much power... Toooo much power. Excellent fun and a very unique car.
Makes me wish i never sold it :sadlike:

I know i know... normally id say i got bored of it but that was a car you can never get bored of.
Just saw the new S3 and only enquired about it. Then Audi wouldnt stop sending booklets and ringing so i put them out their misery... is that a good enough reason :detective2: lol

Na seriously i liked the new S3 alot esp Sprint blue so mind was made time to save up and the old had to go.

Fair enough dude...Newer is better i suppose...Less things to worry about.

Just PM'd andy for some help...The master shall be along in a bit.

S3_LTN did you buy that sub when you had the car off Andy?

So S3 LTN did I sell the stealth setup to you? or did it come with the car when you had it originally. Sorry I lost all my records of who I've sold different stealth setups to so would need to know what amp it is and whether I installed it or it was a DIY job?

So S3 LTN did I sell the stealth setup to you? or did it come with the car when you had it originally. Sorry I lost all my records of who I've sold different stealth setups to so would need to know what amp it is and whether I installed it or it was a DIY job?

The guy i bought the car off was a Doctor... His name was Duncan. I don't know maybe he bought it off you.
Has for the Amp i think it was a Alpine... or was it Pioneer :think:.
But it was already installed when i brought it off Duncan and is an excellent set-up whoever done it. Very stealth.

I would recommend this set-up to anyone for wants that bit extra.

Sure it wasn't Darren rather than Duncan?
Lookig through the setup's I've sold I did sell one to Darren in Telford and he didn't screw the amp to the bodywork (which is how I do it), he just wedged it behind the rear speaker panel with a load of Polystyrene and bubble wrap, so I did tell him it would probably overheat, which is maybe whats happening. Th Alpine V12 has a thermal cutout and can get quite warm, so if it's not installed correctly it won't get any airflow round it to allow the heat sinks to do their job and will thus shutdown.
It can't really be a faulty amp as I've never had one fail, and generally if they fail it won't be intermittant.
When the amp shuts down, if you then turn the volume down does it take a while for the amp to come back on again or does it come back immediately?
If it takes a while then this would point to a thermal cutoff, as obviouly the amp won't come back to life until it has cooled down sufficiently.
If this is the case then you need to whip off the rear speaker panel, take out any padding that's in there and screw the amp to the inner skin as I recommended originally.
Let me know if you need instructions on removing the interior trim as it's not totally straightforward.

No its definatly Duncan. Oh its also got the PhatNoise system set-up. Do you do them too?
I pretty sure its Alphine but FazS3 wil have to confirm i cant remember. I wouldnt know how its set up but all i know is the amp is sitting behind the rear quarter panel.
I had the car for about a year and never had any problems at all. Worked beautifully.
And yeah when you turn the volume down abit it all comes back.
Andy where are you anyway? Please don't say 300 miles away :ohmy: lol.
Your right it is sounding more and more like the thermal cutoff

No, just the stealth subs. If it's a thermal cutoff then there will be a delay before the sound comes back. I'm in Southampton, so not quite 300 miles away. Be happy to take a look if Faz can get down here.

Those v12s are annoying.. i had the older shape one with the removable front cover.. had to turn the car off and on everytime it cut out.. its also got to do with how loud you play it, as a safety feature it cuts out.. you want to make sure all the levels are just past medium but not too loud so when you turn it up the amp doesnt go, "too much noise to send out, im goin to sleep" ... If its a 4 channel, make sure the speakers are using as many channels as possible i.e. bridge left side on channels 1/2 and bridge right side on 3/4, obviously making sure all the settings are equal before you put the door card back on, so you dont get one side louder than the other... and personally id get another amp for the sub in the back, just so it doesnt over stress the amp.. those v12 are perfect for speakers.. not so amazing on the bass side of things. Its just a matter of how you play around with the settings so you can turn it up to how loud you want it without it cutting out.

hope this has helped

Not really. I've supplied over 30 of these amps and never ever had a thermal cutoff issue. As I said it's nothing to do with the amps features, it's the installation.
Personally I don't find an amp cutting out to prevent it from destroying itself in the least annoying, just a reminder that you've installed it incorrectly.

Alright mate.. calm down.. i was simply stating that its annoying when your listning to a song, good parts about to drop in, and it cuts out.. It is annoying.. Also.. i had mine mounted on the back of the seats.. nothing blocking it, shouldnt be cutting out? where would be the best place to install one of these boot wise?

Sorry but it's my baby and I get over defensive.
If the amp is cutting out regularly and it's got good airflow then you've either got it loaded incorrectly i.e. driving a 2ohm load in bridged mode (which most V12's can't support), or you're just driving it too hard i.e. it's a puny F300 and you're trying to drive a 500w sub with it.
I use a T505 driving a 10" sub and it's only ever cut out once, and that was when I was driving back from a gig and had it really jacked up to painfully stupid levels.
What model are you running and what's it driving?

hey you alright fellas....well its cuts out and within a couple of seconds it kicks back in again..going through the papwerwork of the car it would seem like it is the alpine amp which is installed..but i faded it towards the back and it does not cut out as frequently.....

i cant remember the spec.. but i think it the f345? not sure.. its just running my bose system.. wired it in at the iso's rather than the speakers. they are bridged left and right like i described before..
Got another v12 really dont remember this model number...running the twin 15s.. but they're set really low.
Faz sounds like you've got the newer type v12s.. have to play with the settings and as andy said make sure it isnt blocked.

If you're running it bridged on the Bose speakers then that's your problem.
Alpine V12's are not 2 ohm stable when bridged. The Bose speakers are 2 ohm units so they will shut the amp down everytime.
Replace the Bose units (as they're shyte) with 4 ohm aftermarket units and the problem will go away.

Im pretty happy with the way these sound and the v12 helps them to sounds nice and clear... but just out of interest.. speakers you'd recommend to go with the acoustics of the audi?

Well if you're happy then I'd just debridge the amp then you won't have the cutting out issue.

I'm running my Andymac sub with a RockfordFosgate 300S IIRC, never had it cut out, wound the power to maximum and installed a bass controller on top of the sub, think it's on 3/4 power from the controller.

got a link ? interested to see what this stealth kit is about?