AH FabricationsChris Nott
    Swaying towards IHI....

Status

Newbie to Detaling? Look inside...

Well i never had a clue what Detailing was till i read through some of the threads on these forums, ever since recently i just used to use a bucket and sponge lol.
    Just thought id pop this small guide on here to any-one else who's a newbie to detailing.

The whole kit cost me 58GBP And consisted of:
    Meguiars hot rims all wheels cleaner
    Meguiars Smooth surface Clay kit
    Meguairs gold class wash and wax car care kit
    Autoglym super resin polish

By all means this is not a top of the range kit, but it got me going and the results were fantastic.

2 bucket method for washing.

I then Clayed the whole car firstly coating it in Quick detailer then going in circular motions with the clay bar it starts off really rough then gradually gets smoother.
    After the whole car was clayed i then applyed the super resin polish and finally the megs gold class wax.

Any-one who wants to have a go at claying but is unsure id say go for it its really easy to do and now my paintwork feels like glass not sand paper!

How often are you supposed to clay the car every 6 months i guess?

Not the best picture in the world but you get the idea!

Jason
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

2. # ADS
    ADS

6th Gear

Status
    totally the same as u. have ever really only used bucket with sponge and the odd polish every now n then. worth doing then is it? what exactly is claying not meaning to sound oto stupid ofcourse!!

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    Dont quote me on this but i believe Claying removes all the old layers of crap on the top of your paint from over the years, ie old layers of wax etc

I washed the whole car it "looked" clean but after claying it the clay bar was black. If you wash your car and run your hand over the surface it feels really rough after claying it feels like glass.

J
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

Audi dead, 2.0T all the way!

Status
    Looking rather smooth on the back with the wiper blank in jay!

Audi A3,Facelifted, Porsche Cup 3 18" Rims, RS Style Front Bumper, Smoothed Rear Bumper, Lowered 35mm, Blue Flame Stainless System, S3 Grey Leather Interior, Xenon's.GONE!

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    She does look rather smooth now eh jay

Going to have done what you have done and get the rear booth lock removed too, Along with the rubstrips and front number plate recess!

J
    A3 1.8TS

6th Gear

Status
    whast the two bucket method for washing btw??

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    1 bucket is for washing with the soapy water, the other bucket is with clean water for rinsing off.

J
    A3 1.8TS

6th Gear

Status
    makes sense lol

Neutral

Status
    I tried to clay my car for the first time the other week, results were nice overall but when rubbing the clay it felt scratchy :S and I have noticed a couple of fine scratches on the paint work! I know you are meant to "turn in" the clay which I did but the clay picks up imperfections straight away so its impossible to turn it in all the time. Anyhow I will have to go buy some more products to get rid of the surface scratch :| maybe it wasnt the clays fault but the noise it made wasnt nice!

Audi dead, 2.0T all the way!

Status
    Make sure the clay is well wetted with Quick detailer or somthing else before rubbing did this to mine a while back and was well worth the effort once i polished it back up?

Audi A3,Facelifted, Porsche Cup 3 18" Rims, RS Style Front Bumper, Smoothed Rear Bumper, Lowered 35mm, Blue Flame Stainless System, S3 Grey Leather Interior, Xenon's.GONE!

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    Yeah Jay is right there, make sure the clay is nice and soft hard clay on paintwork isnt good,

I bought the Megs kit and it was great about 22 GBP from halfrauds i think?

Im guessing you only need to Clay the car every 6 months? In-between i guess you just Wash, polish then wax right?

J
    A3 1.8TS

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    few tips, dont buy the smooth surface clay kit, that is around 24 and only includes an extra wax sample and cloth..... id go for the cheaper clay kit from Meguiars with the same 100g bar (make sure you cut it in two incase you drop it, dropping it = bin), comes with the same detailer, buy the rest of the stuff elsewhere. Personally i would use tar remover before claying...as your clay will last longer

I think polished bliss said that the hot rims was quite acidic so best not tio use it that often...alternatives can be found on polishedbliss website....

I myself went out and bought a Meguiars lamb wool mitt for 10 and a cheap wilko's microfibre mit for the wheels.... a Meguiars wheel brush which is about 8 and helps to get to the back of the alloys......

For the polish, check out the detailing section of the forum.... in the stickies.... there are some really good tips on what colours look best with wax and others that look better with sealant instead...like your silvers

You dont have to buy the top end stuff with these tips..... all stickies have the photos attached to show you the difference...well worth a look
    Last edited by 1animal1; 23rd April 2008 at 14:01.
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

Oil running through my veins.

Status
    Im glad you posted this, i was thinking about getting the meguires Clay, but my paint work is smooth as it is.. Apart from the glossy finish, did you notice a difference colour wise? I know pictures never do a well polished car justice so when you look at the car does it seem more.. Silver? :S

i say this because of all the contaminates on the paint work might be holding back the origional colour if that makes sense...
    Totally addicted to boost.

Jumped ship to BMW...

Status
    J,

quick question, have you ever been stopped by the Police for those number plates?
    2007 Audi A5 3.0 TDi V6 Q ~ Meteor Grey ~ 19" RS4s ~ High Spec!
    2000 BMW 323ci ~ Sea Green ~ 18" OEM Alpina style rims

2002 A3 1.8TQS ~ Denim Blue ~ 180BHP ~ Black Leathers ~ AP Coilover ~ 18" Nuvolari's, Gunmetal/Polished Face ~ 5mm Spacers all round
    1996 VW Golf GTi - Dragon Green ~ Debadged ~ 17" TSW Reflex/Gunmetal ~ 40mm drop ~ K&N Induction ~ Scorpian 3" Oval back box

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    Thanks for the tips..

Before i got any products the silver on my car was really dull and the paintowrk felt really rough.

Afterwards it's really brought out the silver much better and as i said before the finsh is like glass.

Regarding my plates, ive been pulled over quite a few times and they've never said anything about my plates?
    Even if they did they come out of the holders in seconds so are so easy to change.

J
    A3 1.8TS