Help 18.T keep Cutting out! Help urgently

locker

Reaction score
Any help would be appeciated. I have a 99 1.8T (cable throttle). On the way home today it just cut out, It then wont start untill i wait about 5 mins. Then it starts first time and drives fine. It will the cut out again at random. Its as if all is lost from the ECU.

So i thought it was the immobiliser, but if i lock and unlock the car it doesnt come immeadiatly back. I have read on here it may be damp in my ECU,

I have VAG COM but it wont work on my new laptop from work due to not haveing admin rights to install the usb driver.
I am unsure where the ECU is if someone could post a pic, Ill get some WD40 out and give it a blast

Please help ive got to drive it down the motorway to work tomorrow and i dont fancy calling the AA.

Thanks Paul

Or if someone can tell me where to find it, i would be grateful, im from the school of carbs and dizzies you see.

Cheers Paul

The ECU is in the centre on the plastic panel under the wipers.

If its cuts out with a cough and splutter it may be fule related. If it cuts out dead, then ignition. However there are so many things it could be, that you really should start with vag-com to narrow the search.

I'm thinking of the top of my head, the ignition module on the airbox, or the crank shaft sensor low down on the front of the engine near the gearbox. But this is guess work.

If it was immobiliser related the key symbol should show on the dash. Maybe the key reader at the steering column is at fault.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers mate, going to take it out and look for any signs of water. It was sat on the drive today for 15 mins on idle before it cut out, but it can be a matter on mins sometimes.

I need to find someones laptop so i can plug VAG-COM in

Ive just tried to get to its, can anyone who has taken one out give me some guidence. I have got the scuttle panel off and one of the nuts, think im going to have to buy a smaller wobble bar to get to the other, even taking off the wiper linkage i still cant get to it

ok, if you are the guy with the fault codes too, this is probly your issue.
When it konks out, turn off the ignition and turn it back on to see if you can hear the fuel pump whirring up. If not is is proabbly the problem, ie fuel related, but not the actual pump. Look at your wiring to the fuel injector rail, check the wires have not rubbed together on each other and are shorting out. It is quite common where the woring has maybe been disturned for work and not put back where it was orriginally. Engine moving etc caused the wires to chaff on each other and after some time, they just start to arc through and hence you get the codes you mention, ie intermittant faults to ground.