Difficult Job

A3quattro

Reaction score
Hi all,
I need to change my thermostat so did a search for past threads, found some excellent info and pics, bought the bits and started to have a go.
Even removing the panel fixed to the induction manifold (because of the pipes it only moves a little) access is still really limited. I was just wondering how other people got on. Are there any tricks or is it a case of removing pipes etc till you have enough room to get your hands round the little blighter?
Thanks,
Ian.

you can get it with a quarter inch ratchet,10mm socket and long wobble extension bar but its not easy!watch out for the dipstick tube they go brittle and snap realy easyly!i changed one on my a3 and snaped it so had to wait two days for audi to get me one before i could use the car.then done one on my s3 and ordered a dipstick tube at the same time just incase,guess what,even being carefull not to i still snaped it on that!

i did it without removing the pipes, just put some grease on the bolts when putting it back, means they stuck on an angle to the end of the ratchet. Bit of an **** but possible, trial and error

Ye might be worth buying a new dipstick tube, but if it does break you can always drive without it, just put a cork in it until you buy one.
Just make sure you have the wobbly socket.

Thanks for your help, will get a dipstick tube and have another look!
Cheers
Ian.

because my car had done 120 odd k and was on the original thermostat i found it hard to get the actual stat out, eventually some brute force with a screwdriver prised in the mechanism got it out. Obviously dont do this if you're only checking its operation