Volks AutosChris Nott

Thread: Difficult Job

Reverse Gear

Status

Difficult Job

Hi all,
    I need to change my thermostat so did a search for past threads, found some excellent info and pics, bought the bits and started to have a go.
    Even removing the panel fixed to the induction manifold (because of the pipes it only moves a little) access is still really limited. I was just wondering how other people got on. Are there any tricks or is it a case of removing pipes etc till you have enough room to get your hands round the little blighter?
    Thanks,
    Ian.

2. # ADS
    ADS

Neutral

Status
    you can get it with a quarter inch ratchet,10mm socket and long wobble extension bar but its not easy!watch out for the dipstick tube they go brittle and snap realy easyly!i changed one on my a3 and snaped it so had to wait two days for audi to get me one before i could use the car.then done one on my s3 and ordered a dipstick tube at the same time just incase,guess what,even being carefull not to i still snaped it on that!

Reverse Gear

Status
    i did it without removing the pipes, just put some grease on the bolts when putting it back, means they stuck on an angle to the end of the ratchet. Bit of an arse but possible, trial and error

1st Gear

Status
    Ye might be worth buying a new dipstick tube, but if it does break you can always drive without it, just put a cork in it until you buy one.
    Just make sure you have the wobbly socket.
    Audi A3 54 plate 2.0 FSI Sport
    www.simplydents.co.uk

Mods - 11 Rear lights, custom front matt black grille, I pod connection, S3 rear spoiler.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Rachet spanner or ball headed allen key can work. The bolts are dual head type. I'ts a pig whatever tool you use.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Thanks for your help, will get a dipstick tube and have another look!
    Cheers
    Ian.

6th Gear

Status
    because my car had done 120 odd k and was on the original thermostat i found it hard to get the actual stat out, eventually some brute force with a screwdriver prised in the mechanism got it out. Obviously dont do this if you're only checking its operation
    *Gone* 1997 A3 1.6 facelift headlights, 16"1.8t Alloys, full rear tints. 110k

You built a time machine.........out of a delorean!?!?!