help dead battery and can't jump start! 2001 S3

S£

Reaction score
left my inside lights on for a good 24 hrs and it's made my battery go completely flat... not even enough juice in it to open the doors, so when i suck the jump leads on it the electrics sprung back to life ( stereo, climate, dash lights etc.... but still the central locking is not working and the car wont even turn over, it was a jump off my crapy tiny battery in a 206 but i would have thought it world start it?? Or does my car need programing to my keys again?? Or do i just need a bigger battery to jump it off??

bigger battery i think, the S3 battery is 620-30 amps which is quite big for a petrol i think....... key wont need reprogramming....the only problem you'll have is resetting your one touch windows

ah right i have a mate with a big turbo diesel estate coming round tomorrow that should start it hopefully! I didn't have one touch windows anyway i've just been holding down the button. Are you sure my central locking and alarm will still work because when i got the jump leads on and had power i tried to use the keys to lock un lock it and it didn't work, it also seems a bit strange the the car didn't turn over at all? Or do they have some sort of voltage meter that measures it and if theres not enough it wont try and start?

Possible the jump lead connection to your battery wasn't very good. Enough contact to operate low current circuits like lights etc, but not enough to turn the starter. If you had left the batteries connected enough to charge the S3 a little, then it might have started.

bigger battery i think, the S3 battery is 620-30 amps which is quite big for a petrol i think....... key wont need reprogramming....the only problem you'll have is resetting your one touch windows

To reset the one-touch for the windows, just lower the windows, then raise them and keep the buttons pulled up for >15seconds. This will re-enable one-touch.

Cheers,

To reset the one-touch for the windows, just lower the windows, then raise them and keep the buttons pulled up for >15seconds. This will re-enable one-touch.

Cheers,

ah i get ya, i thought animal ment one touch on your key for when you get out your car, rather than holding the lock button down! Thanks for the rest of the help i'll see what happens tomorrow with my mates car. Fingers crossed!

Your jump leads may not have been heavy duty enough for the job, leave the jump leads connected to both batteries with the engine running on the 206 for a little while and then try, as this will have charged your battery a little. If still no luck, get a heavier duty set of leads. The battery in the 206 should be big enough to do a jump start.

If your battery is so dead that it won't jump from the 206 you can try leaving it running to charge for a bit as dan says, but you need to put some revs on the 206 and leave it. It may take a while though.

If the 206 battery is very small, and the S3 battery is very dead it may not even start ever. It would have had to have been in a bad way beforehand however, one simple discharge won't kill a battery completely in a day.

Thanks for all your comments guys!:icon_thumright:

Problem now solved! My friend came round in his Laguna Diesel, That wasn't even good enough to jump it straight off, we had to leave it running for a good 20 mins first, But i must add i think this is due to my kack jump leads though I'm sure some beefier ones would have done it! They're about the size of a a average pen and a one point started smoking!! But we got there in the end and now running sweet again!!:yahoo:

I have been told you must always put your lights on when jump starting so the charge does not freak out the ECU........anyone heard of that..?