Car Just Failed MOT!!

scoobyra

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!
Reaction score
....on the ****** number plates being incorrectly spaced!!

***, I could understand if it was mechanically unsound...... but for a ****** number plate!!

sounds like the MOT station you used are either very very thorough or the particular tester never got his oats the previous evening.

either way, I'd be looking for a new MOT testing centre in future.

No they've really tightened up on this as of Sept last year. It's nothing to do with safety, just all the technology like ANPR, SPEC's speed camera's etc rely on correctly spaced plates.

Hi mate, I thought they just give you a notice to get it sorted that day, They did this for my last car!
Plus most garage's get number plates made the same day. Sounds abit harsh espically when the car is ok.

TBH most cops won't even pull over someone for incorrect spacing, although italics and fancy writing that makes it hard to read the numbers are fair game as that is usually a blatant attempt at avoiding ANPR camers etc

No they've really tightened up on this as of Sept last year. It's nothing to do with safety, just all the technology like ANPR, SPEC's speed camera's etc rely on correctly spaced plates.

Perhaps I should try this theory out......like driving flat out towards my nearest gatso camera! LOL:rulez:

if the Gatso's weren't infra red based (mostly) then it would work....however.....:whip: Mr Justice will give you a good few lashes

I got a thirty pound fine for mine being illegally spaced the other month, the police and mot'rs are havin a real crackdown at the min.

I have incorrect spaced plates on the front, but correct spacing on the rear, MOT guy said coppers only usually see the rear one, as they are following you, but my other half still got done for speeding from a headon mobile camera - 36 in a 30.

I take it mine will fail with German plates on then when i take it to test?

That's a bummer matey. At least it's a nice cheap fix and you can just stick your old plates back on when it passes the MOT.

two lads at work have just been done for their plates, one had had his spaced like that for over 10 years. Looks like they are clamping down

Takes the **** really. Just because my number plate wasn't spaced correctly.....I mean, it isnt hard to read W4 NKR!!!:eyebrows:

surely you knew they were incorrectly spaced? and if you did then should have expected to fail.

dont blame the tester their only doing their jobs and want to stay on the right side of vosa

Yeah but theres a difference between doing your job and being a complete ********. The garage where I used to get my MOT's (last year) done them for £20 and if there was a problem let me fix it and either passed me or if I couldnt fix it then failed me with the notification why, that to me was fair and due to that he got my business for everything I needed doing.

Sounds like nitpicking to me like the time I got an MOT at a garage I never heard of and the guy said it failed because the rear bumper reflector was 6degrees off level and instead of letting me just twist it into place failed me and sent me off... Ended up twisting it back at home then took it back. Why waste my time.

Yeah but theres a difference between doing your job and being a complete ********.

Whilst I know what you are trying to say, the MOT tester's risk putting their jobs and career on the line by turning a blind eye. VOSA have a new score system which will effect MOT garages if they bend the rules too much, so testers are a bit tougher of late to comply with the rules.

dont blame the tester their only doing their jobs and want to stay on the right side of vosa

I'm a mot tester, glad someone understands its just a job, nothing personal, we don't make the rules, we just follow them :sly:

Before everyone gets the thread out of control.....
I accept that the mot tester has to adhere to guidlines but-
They could have said that my car would fail because of the number plate BEFORE they tested it, then I could of change the plates over first!

If all you are doing is paying them £50 to test it then that's what they'll do, test it and fail it. If you're using a VAG independent to service the car and test it then they'll ensure there's nothing obviously wrong before testing. For £50 you can't expect them to pre-test it and let you know what needs correcting before they do the [proper test. If the car doesn't leave the testers premises then you can fit the new plates and they'll retest it for free, so really don't see what the gripe is.

If all the car fails on is the number plates then you can leave the test station and if you bring the car back before the end of the next working day then the re-test is free, you cannot be charged ;)