Does mileage matter?

Beenie

Reaction score
I'm currently looking to buy a facelift S3 but have notice alot of them have what I would consider "high" miles, 90 to 100k, Now my question is does it really matter?
Thanks for any help.

Not really, condition is more important.

However bear in mind that with miles and age many components are near the end of their life i.e suspension components, possibly clutch etc so it's worthwhile looking for a car that's had these kind of things replaced in the last couple of years to save yourself some cash in the short term.

90-100k is NOT high mileage for these cars, at all.

My A3 1.8T is on 161k now, running 238bhp at 22psi of boost. It's in perfect health, burns no oil, and makes no smoke.

Last MOT emissions test results were very low, even with a 200cel sports cat.

I know a guy who has a S3 on 153k and still runs the original clutch and suspension!!

As rodenal says you really just need to check out things like suspension, bearings, clutch; stuff that just wears out over time. How the car has been used can have a big bearing on the condition of the car at that mileage. A motorway cruiser is likely to have less wear and tear than something which has been used on slower roads.

There's quite a few of us on here with 100k+ A3/S3s (mines done 108k) and you'll find that they're all holding up really well.

My car is on 138K now, no problems at all. The original turbo came off at 120K and there was no signs of wear, some amount of overfuelling but that was due to the superchips cacky remap.

Suspension needed changing at 100K, Bushes too. Cambelt and water pump was done at 105K, ARB was done at 110K, exhaust was fine until I changed it for looks.

Clutch started slipping at 120K, and there has been nothing really until now with the rear ARB sensor at 138K.

That said, I've done a turbo upgrade so lots of stuff has been replaced but regardless, 100K on these engines is just about run in and prime time for upgrading things you'd probably upgrade anyway.

How long has folks's original exhaust lasted then...whilst we are on the subject? More to the point how much to replace...

I've only just changed my exhaust. My car is on 170000. Swapped for an after market item for my turbo converstion. After examining it, there was nothing wrong with it at all. Impressive.

I think it all depends on your budget , if your looking at S3's with 90/100k on the clock you have a smaller budget , so your not gonna get one with 40/50k on the clock in your price range.

I wouldn't get one with 100k on the clock if you change your car every 6 month , if you plan on keeping it a few years or untill it die's then go for it, you'll have to spend money to maintain it anyway!

p

I've only just changed my exhaust. My car is on 170000. Swapped for an after market item for my turbo converstion. After examining it, there was nothing wrong with it at all. Impressive.

That must be why the 2 standard exhausts on ebay are still at their £9.99 starting price:laugh:

Yeah, might have something to do with it.

Audi even fit the exhaust before the axle when they build the car. You have to cut part of the exhaust to get it off. I guess they expect them to last the lifetime of the car.

I think mileage only matters if you do a lot of miles. Doing 15k a year and needing a reliable car would have a bearing on which motor I was buying.

I prefer to be patient and seek low mileage examples out

mine's on 112k now and has had clutch, flywheel, top mounts and bearings, ball joints, roll bars and bushes, drop links, thermostat, temp sensor, wishbone bushes done in the last 25k

it's mainly these kind of things that go at higher mileage

Just bear in mind that over time things do wear out so the higher the miles the more likely it is (if they haven't been replaced already) that things will need to be replaced. And, from experience, people generally buy fast cars to drive them fast so something like an S3 is likely to have had a hard life even if it has been serviced on time every time.

Bought my face lift about 2 months ago with 104k, its in amazing condition for the mileage and I only paid £6500 for it! BARGAIN!!!
I could have spent more money on a car with less miles but having looked at loads of the ****** things I bought the best car I could for my money.
Not bad considering I didnt want a RED one and I didnt want Black Leather/Grey Alcantara seats!!! LOL:footy: