suspension and wheels

d18ony

Donnie Mac
Reaction score
Hi all

Im looking at buying a set of RS4 alloys very soon. There doesnt seem to be much of a difference in price for 17's and 18's. Which would suit an s3 better? Would 18's affect speed, and/or gearing? There going for around £300 on ebay. But are these cheap nasty ones??

Also, my car is fitted with adustable koni suspension. Does anyone know how to 'adjust' them! The car just looks like its sitting at normal height, but i would like to drop it a wee bit if thats possible?!?!

Thanks A lot fellas

Donnie

Adjustbale Koni's doesnt usually mean height, its gonna be a set of dampers where you can adjust the damping on it to be either soft or hard

Theres a special Koni Tool you use to adjust it
koni_adj5.jpg

More info can be found here http://www.tech-session.com/kb/index.php?article=33

Also... Are you selling your standard S3 wheels?

I went from standard avus 17" to 18" RSTT recently and after I got use to minimal height gain prefer them tbh. I think you may go a little quicker with 17s but not by much.

18s will deffo give the car a better look if its lowered, you dont wanna go to low though for scraping issues and uneven tyre wear.

As for prices, second hand originals anything from £350 - £750 depending on condition. Reps can be had for cheap but I personally wouldn't go there.

In theory 17s would help acceleration, 18s top speed... not gonna notice it much, especially if the tyre sizes are right for rolling radius's etc

maz have you got any pics you could send me? is your suspension standard? i was under the impression that adjustable suspension meant you could adjust the ride height! dont think i'll bother arsing about with the dampers now! and yes grathies ide probably sell my standard wheels if i get a hold off a set of rs4's. are you intrested?

You could always get some different springs for the dampers, I find the Koni dampers to be good units, so with some decent springs (Think DPM could help you out there?) you can get a bit of a drop without it looking stupid

DSC01433.jpg

Thats mine, belive thats on eitehr -20 or -30mm MTM Springs and Koni Dampers and running 18s

Yeah, I am looking for a set of S3 wheels so if you do get some and have a price in mind let me know, Im always watching some on ebay etc as I want some as track wheels

your setup looks spot on. i dont want it scraping rubber of the tyres!!

have you got any pics of the standard suspension setup with 18's?

getting the car revod within the next couple of weeks, so new wheels may have to wait! expensvie hobby buying new parts!

I'll give you a shout if im wanting rid of the wheels Grathie

I dont have any shots personally but it might be worth looking thru the post at the top of the thread, "Show us your A3" or whatever its called

Alot of people go lower than I am, I use mine on the road and track, and at that height its just about right for most obsticles (Im very paranoid about my sump!)

Let me know as and when mate, doesnt bother me if the tyres are shreadded etc!

maz have you got any pics you could send me? is your suspension standard? i was under the impression that adjustable suspension meant you could adjust the ride height! dont think i'll bother arsing about with the dampers now! and yes grathies ide probably sell my standard wheels if i get a hold off a set of rs4's. are you intrested?

Sure, check the 8L S3 thread in the detailing section for pics of my car. (still standard)

your setup looks spot on. i dont want it scraping rubber of the tyres!!

have you got any pics of the standard suspension setup with 18's?

getting the car revod within the next couple of weeks, so new wheels may have to wait! expensvie hobby buying new parts!

I'll give you a shout if im wanting rid of the wheels Grathie

P1010038.jpg

Standard suspension on 18" RSTT's.

Will be lowered 25mm in the next few weeks :o.k:

lol

Ive written plenty of nice things about them, just found that living with them isnt quite as good as Id hoped, when you love something enough you see its flaws 10fold sadly

I really wanted a Red S3, but dont think they did that red on the facelifts?

I've seen a few face lifts the same colour...

Its a funny colour to photograph really, all ways comes out different shades.

Id say a set of facelift rear lights would really smarten the rear of your car up (personal preference tho)

I have had reps on my Mk4 and now the S3 - for the price I think they make a lot of sense unless you go looking for big potholes.....

Not sure if the reps are heavier which may effect handling ??

Few shots for you mate, just to get the idea...

18's on eibach springs - standard shocks

s3_new_018_medium.jpg

18's on standard suspension

DSC_0236_800x600%5D.JPG

Not an awful lot of difference but just enough to notice really, just brings the body down to sit nice on the wheels, 18's are about the best match for the S3 arches, anything smaller just isnt enough and anything bigger is just too much.