Suspension Setup Advice

jomnhta

Reaction score
My S3 is currently sitting on Bilstein PSS (B14) from the previous owner. I found it too low at the rear with the collapsed looking spring and I am planning to do something to it.

I usually used my car at the weekend and will drive it hard ocassionally on windy mountain roads. I find the current PSS setup acceptable to me in terms of harshness or ride quality and I am appreiciate with the firm feeling of the current setup.

With extensive search on the forum, I still can't find the conclusion. I came up with the following:

H&R + Bilstein B8 with Neuspeed 21/19 or H&R 25/21 ARB
H&R + Koni Sport Adjustable with Neuspeed 21/19 or H&R 25/21 ARB
H&R Sport Coilover

I was thinking about the PSS9 (B16) as well but learnt that it use the same collapsed looking spring as the PSS so I give-up. I would like to see which of the above setup would come close to the feeling of the PSS in terms of ride quality and handling.

Need inputs from all you guys, especially valuable comments from Ess_Three :salute:

Why don't you raise it on the PSSs?
If the adjusters are seized, order new ones through Bilstein..or if you have a collapsed spring, again order a replacement from Bilstein.

That should allow you to set the ride height to a sensible height, and the damping should still be good, as it sounds like you are happy with that.

Add a set of adjustable rear tie bars, if you don't already have them, pull the front bottom balljoints outwards as far as they'll go, and get the geometry set up quite aggressively.

For ARBs I'd still suggest the Neuspeed 21/19 combo....a bigger front bar will potentialy add understeer in the wet...the Neuspeed bars are quite simply, perfect for a well set up S3.

You could of course, change the springs/dampers to H&R Springs/Bilstein B8 dampers...but why would you want to if your current PSSs are still good? - and they should be.
Also, I'd certainly not choose to go to Konis after Bilsteins...the Bilsteins are just better (better made, better finished, better damping)

So you mean the PSS should work better than the spring/combo setup?

However, the rear is already at its highest setting. Let me post a pic later in the day to show you.

I have the adjustable tie-bar replaced the upper control arm. With the trailing arm bearing plate sitting at its furtherest position (edge of the slots), the best alignment I can get for the rear is -2' camber and 0'40" toe.

Should I try to swap the tie-bar to lower position to see if it would become more flexible in term of the toe and camber correction?

Just a thought, what if both upper and lower control arms are adjustable? Will it be much easier to adjust?

Here is my ride...

21032008126.jpg

http://picasaweb.google.com/jomnhta/UntitledAlbum02/photo#5186865219464870962

with highest setting set at rear.

So you mean the PSS should work better than the spring/combo setup?

No, but they shouldn't be any worse...
They may be better, who can say...but I can see no reason to remove Bilstein PSSs to replace them with the B8s if you can get a ride height to suit on the PSSs.

However, the rear is already at its highest setting. Let me post a pic later in the day to show you.

Hmm.. hard to say.
If you need the rear higher and are happy with the front, you could always buy the H&R springs and just fit the rears only as the PSS rear dampers should be very similar to the B8 rears...they aren't a coilover at the rear, so that would work.

Fit some H&R/Eibach springs to the rear then set the fronts up to give a decent ride height from there.

I have the adjustable tie-bar replaced the upper control arm. With the trailing arm bearing plate sitting at its furtherest position (edge of the slots), the best alignment I can get for the rear is -2' camber and 0'40" toe.

Should I try to swap the tie-bar to lower position to see if it would become more flexible in term of the toe and camber correction?

Someone else had issues with the adjustable bars...try moving them to the other position...that should hopefully sort out the camber/toe issues.

Just a thought, what if both upper and lower control arms are adjustable? Will it be much easier to adjust?

Easier, no..as there will be 2 to adjust...
Shouldn't be needed really....one or the other should sort it.

But if you are to raise the rear from where it is now, your camber/toe might come back into spec anyway.