How much mpg? Black smoke from exhaust?

sharma

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1.9tdi 130 bhp (2002). My car shows 35mpg on the clock (as the average). Im sure my car should be giving me more mpg than this. I used to have a Golf 1.9tdi 110bhp (2002) and this used to say 46mpg.

What do you guys get from your cars? Is it possible that the computer is showing as incorrect number? What do you guys get from a full tank and how much does a full tank cost?

Is there anything i can do to increase my mpg (I was told to try this liquid that you can put in your fuel tank which costs 10 pound and this might make a difference). Also if i put in super diesel will this clean out my engine and make a difference?

I also get black smoke out of the exhaust when i put my foot down. I have seen this on a few diesels but it does not look to good. Is there anything i can do about this and should it be doing this?

Thanks.

hi m8

has the car been re-mapped at all, i have seen a few VAG tdi's that have been mapped and the kick out a lot of black smoke and may explain the drop in mpg?

saying that my old golf gt tdi 115 only used to be between 35 - 40 mpg but i did cane that quite a bit.

also has the car been serviced ?? if the air filter is clogged or the maf is faulty then this may explain the black smoke.

hope this helps, im sure somone on here will be able to help you out better than me

dom

My mate's got an remapped A4 Avant 1.9 TDI 130, he still gets 50-55mpg on a motorway run. You first port of call would be to fill the tank to the brim and reset the miles, see how many you're actually getting to the tank, the DIS is notorious in providing incorrect readings.

Hi, I've got a A3 Tdi 130 and I average 49mpg. My DIS always seems to read about 2mpg higher than my actual mpg. I try not to use my car for short runs, and I always use my cruise control on motorways
HTH

My A3 1.8T (albeit an Auto.) is giving me 34.5 Mpg at the mo

I just topped up my tank yesterday. I had done 350 miles and it cost me 50 quid. Im sure thats not enough for a diesel. Anyone know why this could be????

Any any ideas why i get black smoke from my exhaust when i put my food down (especially in 1st gear)?

think you should def be getting more than that. i get around 330 mmiles to ful tank costing around £63 of v power for my s3

jesus mate.... something sounds very wrong.

Many people with pd130 motors get 5-600 from a tank full, even driving briskly!

is the car remapped? and do you drive like a knob everywhere?

If not, theres a problem!

even if it was remapped nick you should be seeing better MPG unless you nail it everywhere!
i got 58 average from my A4 tdi albeit 2wd and a non PD engine
my A4 had heavy black smoke when booting it as nick will probably verify. but that did have a milltek, de cat and a tuning box fitted!
you need to plug it into VAG COM or get it fault code checked somewhere!

I just topped up my tank yesterday. I had done 350 miles and it cost me 50 quid. Im sure thats not enough for a diesel. Anyone know why this could be????

Any any ideas why i get black smoke from my exhaust when i put my food down (especially in 1st gear)?

I used to get about that on my Golf GTTDi 110bhp but found out that was remapped. My S3 does about 330 to a full tank driving average, if i drive sensibly it gives me 400. The S4 i have at the moment is crap average 15 to 18 mpg. But look on the bright side I floored it in sport mode the other day (on a private road lol ) I had a wallet crushing 4.9mpg on the DIS:scared2: not good. Oh and £45 gives me a display of 125miles to next fill up :tapedshut:

So what should i do? As far as i know its not been remapped and that should not make a difference anyway. What things should i check for?

Best thing to do is take it somewhere that can put it on vagcom. Where you from mate.

Sorry to hijack but I have the same low mpg problem, since my turbo has been playing up, my mpg has gone down. I had the codes checked but they are a bit vague really and still point to a number of causes. Could a faulty MAF cause bad fueling and the turbo to over boost?