Help settle this performance question

peterchalkley

Reaction score
Was hoping you guys could help...... was having a conversation with me mate in the pub the other night and he rekons that the best way to treat a new car is to thrash the pants of it for the first 1.5k miles!!! Can this be right ??? I always thought that you had to take it easy for the first 1.5k or so ?? He also has a 3.2 DSG A3 and I have to admit that his DOES feel a lot quicker than mine. Can he be right ? He rekons that a new engine is the same as a mobile phone battery and that it has a 'memory' and if you don't tonk it, it will only give you 80% or so later on...
Your comments WILL be appreciated.
Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I don't run my cars in....never have.
Every new car I've owned I've warmed it up well before using the revs, and with the S3, let it cool down before switching off...I've never laboured the engine or sat on the red line and held it there...but other than that I've used them as normal with 0 miles on.

I do drive slightly more sympathetically when less than 500 miles because it's not just the engine you are betting in, but the brakes, suspension, gearbox and all the rest. Anyone who knows my driving will testify that I don't pussyfoot around, but nor do I 'thrash' or 'abuse' the mechanicals.

But basically, drive it as normal and get it used to how it's going to be expected to behave for the forthcoming years.

BTW, each car I've owned has produced above the manufacturers rated power very early on in it's life...no doubt because of the way they are run-in, and then run.

On a side note:
I have a freind with a Civic Type-R who drove like he was driving Miss Daisy for about the first 2000 miles...on a RR day it produced 10 BHP less than ANY other CTR there that day. Coincidence?

I have another friend who drives a corrado VR6...it's a town car...only used in traffic, never used up the revs...and it is consistantly producing 10 BHP less than an average 2.9 VR6 and upto 20 BHP less than a 'well used' variant. Coincidence?

To me, use it hard but treat it with respect, and your engine will make decent power all it's life.
..but it's never too late to forget how to use the accelerator pedal and undo all the good that's been done in the past!

Nothing to do with Audi's, but my mate works in a Honda dealership, and swears the courtesy cars are always faster than a 'driven by Miss Daisy' car of the same age/mileage Personally, I beleive him. As Ess Three says, don't wrap it up in cotton wool, but at the same time, don't abuse it. Just have some fun!!

I had a MkII golf gti16v that was completely standard and was producing 155bhp, 20bhp over standard. Drove it like I drive normally, opening it up at least once a day and before doing so making sure it was warmed up.

I'm hoping if I treat my s3 the same, I'll get similar results /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I took it easy upto 600miles (not Ms Daisy style) Just normal driving. Done 11000 miles now and it feels much quicker than when I first got it.