Sky InsuranceJMB Retrofits

Thread: Radiator Leak!

Reverse Gear

Status

Radiator Leak!

Hi there.

I've recently started learning to do things for my Audi A3 1.9tdi (V-Reg, 1999) so I'm no expert. I had a little problem with my car, and was told by a garage that my radiator was causing it (car hitting 90 degreese VERY quickly & loss of coolant over a period of a few weeks). I topped up the coolant a few times over the last month or two, but it keeps happening - the warning light comes on on the dashboard display, and the expansion tank is EMPTY! I decided to do what the garage said - and jeez, he was right - the radiator in my car was battered, and it had dried pink ooze at the bottom of it - clearly been leaking. Anyway, all new radiator has been fitted. Since I've done this though, I spotted a leak when I was flushing the system with water - the lower radiator hose seemed to be drippping, ever so slowly. I have since replaced this, and it seemed to make the problem go away whilst i ran the engine to test for more leaks, but it appears now that something else is leaking - the ECT sensor which is just above that hose, connected to the radiator. Like I said, I'm no expert, but I don't understand how something like that could leak - if so, is it as simple as replacing the ECT sensor, and spotting any more leaks? Should I go main dealer or GSF? And, I've read somewhere about a new "green" ECT that is supposedly better than the standard black one. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Taj.

2. # ADS
    ADS

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    egg yolk lol.......no dont
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

1st Gear

Status
    I take it you mean the fan switch screwed into the rad? could be that its not screwed in properly, try tightening it up a bit. if you want to replace it, anywhere will do it, not just gsf or main dealer. try any motor factor.

1st Gear

Status
    I think you mean the temp sender.

Have a look on VAGPARTS for the sensor and replace the rubber o-ring seal and the locking clip
    Was A3 1.8Ts
    Now S3