Advice on A3 Glow plug light

octagon

Reaction score
Website
ghf.flat-line.com
Car - A3 110 1.9TDI Y reg.
Last week my ESP light came on solidly when I braked coming to a junction and stayed on until I switched off the engine.I had a look in the manual and it said that the problem is linked to the ABS and should be checked.On the way to Audi the light went off but the Glow plug light started flashing.Again I looked in the manual and it says the problem is with the Engine Managment.
I am booked in now to have it checked out next week but both lights have gone off and seem to be back to normal.Hopefully there is nothing wrong but it is a little worrying.Has anyone else had a similar problem with an intermittant fault like this?
If so what was the solution.

you will probably find its a faulty stop light switch.try checking they are working.the esp light comes on because of an implausable signal.the sensors on the car are telling the abs/esp control unit that the vehicle is being braked but it is not receiving the signal from the stop light switch.

Both lights appear to be working but as I said the fault is now gone so it may be the switch having an intermittant fault.Fingers crossed.

its in this morning to have the problem checked.I now have a lovely 1.4 A2 for the rest of the day.Anyone else had one and noticed how much a pain in the **** the pillars at the front are?Its a 10 minute drive from Audi to work and I miss the turbo already *sob*
I have a sked for a hard copy of the error codes and will post the results if anyone is interested.

[ QUOTE ]
octagon said:
I have a sked for a hard copy of the error codes and will post the results if anyone is interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ofcourse we are all interested!...well atleast me anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Hope it goes well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

I just got back from the dealer after a frustrating drive home.It seems whoever was test driving my car after the repairs felt the need to lower my seat move it backwards and then raise the steering wheel height.....argh.
The guy who I dealt with at service last week was not in today so I was dealing with someone else who seemed pretty reluctant to give me the hard copy of the error codes which I requested first time round.She told me they werent supposed to do it and kinda sneaked them to me like she was doin me a favour lol.The first guy never said a word about it when I asked originally.Anyway two errors found in the diagnostics:

19561 - P3105 Change over valve for manifold flap - N239 open circuit/short circuit ground sporadic
16955 - P0571 Brake Switch (A) Circuit malfunction.
Both changed free of charge under warranty.

Spot on diagnosis from the forum guys /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif thanks.
As for the dealer im a bit miffed at the change of seat position but also the bumper grill on the near side has been broken during the repair.They admitted liability and have orderd a new one but it means another trip back.

O joy
late for work this morning (as per) and a nice manky JCB decides hes gonna be able to cross the road in front of me without any problems.I brake hard and hurl some abuse as he chunters off in the opposite direction.Now I notice the dam ESP light is solid on again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
15 hours after I brought it home from the dealers and the first hard braking its back on.WTF.
Could there be something causing the brake switche to malfunction?They replaced the switch yesterday but I can't beleive its gone again.I know nothing about the circuit or the brake system but something must be causing it.

[ QUOTE ]
octagon said:
O joy
late for work this morning (as per) and a nice manky JCB decides hes gonna be able to cross the road in front of me without any problems.I brake hard and hurl some abuse as he chunters off in the opposite direction.Now I notice the dam ESP light is solid on again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif
15 hours after I brought it home from the dealers and the first hard braking its back on.WTF.
Could there be something causing the brake switche to malfunction?They replaced the switch yesterday but I can't beleive its gone again.I know nothing about the circuit or the brake system but something must be causing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mis-adjustment of a newly installed switch could be the fault here, and when you hit the brakes you exceeded the plunger travel and damaged the switch. I would suggest you get it back to the dealership and let them sort whatever the problem is out again. A colleague had the same on his golf where the dealer replaced the switch and a week later it had the glow plug light on, which I found to be again a faulty brake switch and was probably due to the installation.

The light hasn't came back on since and I have done a few emergency stops to test.Is it worth buying the vag-com leads to check faults like this?