AH FabricationsSky Insurance
    Neutral

Status

Will these anti roll bars reduce my ride height???

hey guys/gals, i've just gone an fitted some -40mm gmaxx springs to my a3 and the rear looks slammed, but the front looks the same as standard, so i came across these arb's on ebay, http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ANTI-ROLL-BARS...QQcmdZViewItemplus i've heard abit about them on the forum, so would these really lower my front end?? and has anyone else had them fitted??
    cheers peeps
    heres a few pics to illustrate the problem!!
    the rear which im happy with!!

and the front which im not

2. # ADS
    ADS

3rd Gear

Status
    how long have you got it lowered?
    You must let it settle for a week or two...

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Status
    Anti Roll Bars wont chang your ride hight!
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

hud at ye bam

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by scoobyra View Post
    Anti Roll Bars wont change your ride hight!
    Yep, not one little bit. You just need to let them settle a little.
    [/sarcasm]

Neutral

Status
    ok cheers guys, i deffo wont buyem!, the pics were taken a few days after it was lowered, it has settled abit more now but still to high for me, me thinks, might just get some -60mm springs for the front, has anyone lowered it that much?? if so anychance of some piccies?? and does it rub the arches??
    cheers for the info!

6th Gear

Status
    FFS, some of the questions we are getting on here recently make me cringe.

Buy decent gear and not GSPOT MAX power ****e and you wont have a problem.

Back should be a little higher than the front on a FWD car. Go and get some qulaity dampers and some H and R springs and stop buying your tuning gear off ebay!

It's not f@cking ORANGE!!!!!

Status
    Thats harsh Smich! LOL
    JAFFASPORT - 2001 Facelift, 218/237/216bhp AMK, Absolute Red, Thrashed to Death, Car Park Dents Everywhere, Kei Flux's, Knackered Shocks, Scuffed Rear Bumper and in need of a good Hoover!!

BLACK EVO BEATER -2001 Facelift, 349bhp AMK, Ebony Black, Blue Seats, 4 Wheels, Brakes, Exhaust, Headlights, Sh!t loads of boost and up for sale!

RGV 250N - Bloody fast and loads of fun........I get wet a lot when it rains....

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by simch View Post
    FFS, some of the questions we are getting on here recently make me cringe.

Buy decent gear and not GSPOT MAX power ****e and you wont have a problem.

Back should be a little higher than the front on a FWD car. Go and get some qulaity dampers and some H and R springs and stop buying your tuning gear off ebay!
    FFS smich u stuck up twat!!!!!, some of us on here arnt made of money, obviously u must be! im still in college, and only working part time so i cant afford all the top spec gear all u guys are putting on ur cars, but im trying my best to do things right, but people like you put me right back down when i ask for some frienldly advice
    Last edited by azzman88; 31st March 2008 at 18:31.

6th Gear

Status
    You might be able to get hold of some lowering spring caps. Lower the front an extra 10-15mm. About 20 from Venom motorsport.
    Built in Germany, Perfected in England

Neutral

Status
    cheers bud, will look em up now!!, see some good friendly advice

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by azzman88 View Post
    FFS smich u stuck up twat!!!!!, some of us on here arnt made of money, obviously u must be! im still in college, and only working part time so i cant afford all the top spec gear all u guys are putting on ur cars, but im trying my best to do things right, but people like you put me right back down when i ask for some frienldly advice
    College........? What does that have to do with it?

Fella, if you dont know what anti roll bars do and how they work, why the hell are you messing with your suspension in the first place.? Think you know more than the audi engineers?

If you cannot afford anything better than Gmax rubbish, you should leave it standard, or save some money and buy a Spaxo in the first place.

How much extra do you thiknk H and R springs are to G max ones......? I can get H and R springs off the net for about 115 delivered. How much were your G max ones that make your car sit funny?

More Points Than Portsmouth FC

Status
    While I dont agree with Simch's style that he put it across, Ive gotta agree with the idea of you get what you pay for

Fair play to you your a student and cant afford to spends loads, but with mods like that it really is better waiting an extra month or two and doing it with better parts. As it is now if the spring caps dont work you will be forking out again for front springs

Buy cheaply buy twice, something I learnt from my student days trying to build my Golf project cars! It really is worth the time having patience and waiting in my experience

Good luck with the caps, my brother runs them on his Ibiza

Standard A3 1.9 TDI 110bhp

Status

Fella, if you dont know what anti roll bars do and how they work, why the hell are you messing with your suspension in the first place.? Think you know more than the audi engineers?

If you cannot afford anything better than Gmax rubbish, you should leave it standard, or save some money and buy a Spaxo in the first place.

How much extra do you thiknk H and R springs are to G max ones......? I can get H and R springs off the net for about 115 delivered. How much were your G max ones that make your car sit funny?
    Harsh, at least he's having a go.

College i think he means, because he goes to college he doesn't have mush spare money to spend on his car, buying beer and books all the time you have to make your car look cool somehow.

I appreciate this thread because now i know not to buy what this guy bought when i do mine. Unless it drops a bit at the front when they bed in properly .

6th Gear

Status
    You could just get a garage to cut a coil off, or if they are really clever, heat a coil with oxyacetalyne and then jack it up let weight of the car tweak it down. I know of one seemingly well respected tuner in the 90's that offered this servie as their "anti torque steer mod" .....!?!?!?

Neither ideal, but then your spings as is are none too clever.
    Did you fit the kit yourself? If so, so just make sure your shocks are well and truly located back in the hubs, sometimes they can be a pig to get fully home. If a garage did it, take the car back and get them to check it over. Just in case they put the top mounts back woroing way around or anything daft like that.

but to sort it properly, save your pennies and get some quality stuff.

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhot006 View Post
    College i think he means, because he goes to college he doesn't have mush spare money to spend on his car, buying beer and books all the time you have to make your car look cool somehow.
    In all fairness tho to Simch (not trying to ruffle feathers on either side here) I had to rebuild and modify my first car when I was at college. I worked loads at Halfords to get the money to do it, came out with 3 A-Levels and 1 AS Level and by the time I passed my test at 17 I had built this

And it was built buy working and saving my money. If your gonna do something with cars, you gotta do it properly, else you get into a horrible routine of bodging things to look ok and kinda work. Its a bad habit to fall into when your young, espepcially when your working on fairly modern cars

Again, not having a go or supporting anyones views, just giving some balance

1st Gear

Status

cock,heres obvisously here to be educated in these things and be told of the diffrence the extra money makes when it comes to car parts,your right in saying that there cheap crappy springs but ther's no need to give him a reply like that when he just wants some NICE helpful advice
    Lava grey pearl (A3 2.0 TDI sport 140) 2004

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Redhot006 View Post
    Harsh, at least he's having a go.

I appreciate this thread because now i know not to buy what this guy bought when i do mine. Unless it drops a bit at the front when they bed in properly .
    Well I hope he has enough to pay for his increased insurance premium for his modified car..!?!?

This is why it is a total waste for most people in buying cheap suspension parts. A cheap kit may be 250, but at a decent garage it will cost at least the same to fit it all and to allign it.
    You can get a Koni kit for about 350! So 500 for a poor kit fitted or 600 for one that works, is TUV approved and has an excellent warranty on it.......!?!? It is well worth saving a few more quid and getting the proper stuff, if only to save on the messing about afterwards. Also, when you come to sell the car, and you can say it has a 30k mile old Koni kit on it, a buyer knows it probably has a fair bit of life left in it. Lots of buyers will just walk away if they see Gmax or other cheap components fitted to a higher qulaity car (and hence more expensive) like an Audi.

Neutral

Status
    Well TBH you've gotta learn from your mistakes, its my first car i've actually lowered so i got what i could afford, and OK i dont know exactly what anti roll bars do as i'm not too mechanically minded, i just wanted the car to sit at the correct stance so i came accross the anti roll bars on ebay and just wanted advice on them, do they do what the seller says?? and obviously the answer is no, as you guys have told me. so i'll get the top mounts from venom for 50. an hopefully they'll do the trick.
    no need for the attitude and snide remarks

Status
    Is it just me or are those things on ebay shortened drop links? And not an ARB?

6th Gear

Status
    Advice I gave is solid advice and advice that it is worth listening to.

If people ask before they buy, they may not buy the bad stuff. If they ask afterwards and dont like the answers, whose fault is that??

Of course, the original poster could always complain to the manufacturer or retailer and say they have not done the job. He says he is not happy with them, it is a good idea then to do complain to where he bought them.

I have offered my advice and a "tweak" that he can try to sort his problem. In return he and others use offensive names in their responses.......!?

I am not calling anyone names, just saying buying cheap off ebay is usually a bad idea and that the original question made me cringe!!

If no one likes the reponses, that's just tough! Or we could all tell you about some well wicked stuff from some geezer on the bay that is the bom and only costs a few dollarz......

So the the original poster, sorry if you took my advice the wrong way, but I stick by it.
    If you want a quick fix, get a garage to chop half a coil off and reface the mating face. It may work, but if it does not, live with it, and save a few quid to get some H and R springs, -30 or -50, then sell your Gmax ones on ebay to someone else!

6th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by azzman88 View Post
    Well TBH you've gotta learn from your mistakes, its my first car i've actually lowered so i got what i could afford, and OK i dont know exactly what anti roll bars do as i'm not too mechanically minded, i just wanted the car to sit at the correct stance so i came accross the anti roll bars on ebay and just wanted advice on them, do they do what the seller says?? and obviously the answer is no, as you guys have told me. so i'll get the top mounts from venom for 50. an hopefully they'll do the trick.
    no need for the attitude and snide remarks
    There was no agressive or snide remarks in my first post fella. But surely you can see that Gmax stuff is not going to be the best...? Fair enough if you have not bought any before and are buying on a price, but a few questions on here before you bought would have given you a hint.

OK, to help you I suggest this. Get car checked where you had them fitted, maybe ask them to remove a strut on the front and remove a coil. If you have your old original coil, measure the length of both the original one and the new Gmax one. If it is stiffened and is meant to drop it 40mil, the free length shoulfd be "more" than 40 mill less. If the free lenght is say 25 mil dif, and its stiffer, it cannot drop the car by 40 mil! To work out if its stiffer, here is a tip, generally the fewer the coils, the more stiff it will be, so if it has the same number of coils, measure the wire diameter to check, if the gmax is thicker wire, same coils, it will be stiffer.

If you fitted shocks and dampers from Gmax, also check the strut against an original to see if the bottom spring platform is in exactly the same place. Measure from the BOTTOM of the damper tube to the bit the spring sits in to confimr it is identical. If the Gmax strut has a higher spring platform, the car will sit up too.

If you can check all this, it should give you an idea why it is sitting up. Then at least you will have some ammo to go back to the place you bought the kit from.

Neutral

Status
    ok m8 first of all i never even knew this site existed til a week ago and i had the springs fitted for more than 2months, so yes i wouldve got advice if i knew at the time. and im not as bad to go and chop spring, thats just a rediculouse idea, but i may consider ur opinion on replacing them with better spings an floggin the 1's ive got, as the top mount is gona cost me 50, so why not spend another 50 and get some decent springs and flog my gmaxx's for whatever i get for em. but i honestly thought gmaxx was a good make, but i've been proved wrong once again smich cheers for the advice even if most of it came across as slightly arrogent lol
    Last edited by azzman88; 31st March 2008 at 20:34.

1st Gear

Status
    college boy with an audi? feck me when i was younger i could only afford some **** ford. man oh man how the days have changed. grrr.

6th Gear

Status
    Chopping springs if dont carefully is ok, but it will stiffen the spring also.

@ darkangel, yup, you and me both fella!! I has a 1.1 fiesta when I was that age!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DBXdarkangel View Post
    college boy with an audi? feck me when i was younger i could only afford some **** ford. man oh man how the days have changed. grrr.
    had to save my pennies hard plus i got the car for a cheap price as me old man's a car dealer.

Status
    I had a Polo 1.3 coupe at that age. It was well tail happy.

1st Gear

Status
    aha i see. must be a crappy 1.6 se or something im guessing..not the 1.8T?

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    azzman, do what you can, but as you can see you have learnt from your mistakes, in future get some info off the "experts" and then make your mind up.....do what you can, just do a good job, if it means waiting that little longer, then so be it.....

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by DBXdarkangel View Post
    aha i see. must be a crappy 1.6 se or something im guessing..not the 1.8T?
    what did i do to deserve that??? you know what i cant believe how many stuck up people there is on this site, u seem worse than BMW drivers ffs, unless u've got a high spec audi then ur not wanted here, ok i've got a 1.6 big deal, it may not be fast but it sure looks like a 1.8T, maybe i shouldnt be part of this site, obviously some people have a problem with me driving a 1.6 and helping a newbie out.
    GREAT welcome to the site guys, GREAT impression, i'll sure be recommending you to other audi drivers!!! (sarcasm btw)

ps. this doesnt include some of the decent people that have been giving good advice and helped a great deal, only applies for the people with their heads up their arses!!

6th Gear

Status
    There is a lot of people on this site that seem to have a chip on their shoulder about something. We were all noobies once. Give the guy a break.

Your car's looking good mate.
    Built in Germany, Perfected in England

Maz
    Moon is made of green cheese

Status
    Mate, I wouldnt worry about that cheap shot by DarkAngel.

The site is packed with informative and beneficial advice that I have gained a lot from and has made my Audi ownership much more rewarding.

Best tip I can give you is use the search button because a lot of common topics have been covered time and time again!

Mineral Grey [
    AMK
    ]

Status
    It's your car Azz, do what you want.

1st Gear

Status
    LOL you guys, i was mearly saying is it the basic spec car. i just cant stand chavs that buy the lower spec car then spend **** loads doing it up like a top end one. WHY NOT JUST BUY THE TOP END ONE? thats all im saying.

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    All depends on where your interests lie and budget. Some people want handling, some want power, others like styling. Some want the lot.

It's always been a fine line of contention. I have always enjoyed modding every car I've owned, but do I know more than an Audi design engineer....hell no (though I am an ex automotive engineer, so I'm close :-) )

My own cars tend to be reasonably safe and functional, yet I really want a US style rat rod. God knows how unsafe they are, but they look good and get my emotions stiring.

Anyways, to the OP, you gotta take the knocks on this site, but we love you really :-)

P.S. I used to run Jamex (now gmax) springs with Koni shocks on my MK2 golf. Back then they were accepted. Funny how views change for products on different sites.
    The new gmax coilovers get good reviews over in the states.

Defo worth the wait :)

Status
    azzman, dont worry bout the bad comments, as you can see, there are more good than bad, so take it on the chin and just remember this site is very good for knowledge, there is alot of banter on the site, and to be honest, alot of it can and usually is 'in one ear and out the other'

Keep up the good work, your car does look good, at the end of the day, it is your car, so you do to it what you, however if you want peoples opinions, always be prepared for negative feedback as well as good :-)

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    The stuff mentioned by simch should go in one ear and stay in though. Good info in essence.