Lowering and arb

JLA

Reaction score
How much can I lower my tdi without having to get a different arb? I plan on going 40mm front and back, will I get away with keeping the standard arb?

First thing to check. Do you have the early or late front ARB design?

Mine started fowling on bumps when I dropped it about 30mm (raised it back up since), so I doubt 40mm will be possible with out addressing the front ARB.

What are the differences between early and late? It's a '99 tdi btw.

I've heard that the 2wd really only need a rear ARB (or they did on the MK4 golf) which helps the roll situation.

Just to add, I fitted new arb bushes and drop links tonight, took less than an hour and is easy and has got rid of the clunking noise that you get. I have an advantage as I'm an engineer, but seriously guys, don't pay garage prices, just fit them yourself, its so straightforward. I read on here that its a pain in the ****, its not.
I'm going to do the rear axle bushes next, but I have to make a tool up to get them out/in first. Watch this space.

Hi. May be a silly question, but what are drop links? I want to replace my arb bushes but some people say it's easy and others say it;s really hard and you have to remove the subframe.

Reason I want to change is because I get a loud clunking noise when turing the wheel when I first get into the car - is that the clunking that you're referring to?

Droplinks conect the end of the ARB to either the front edge of the wishbone or the shock absorber body, depending on the year of the car. Early cars have the wishbone attachment, later cars to the shock.