MOT time, need suspension

JLA

Reaction score
My MOT is due next month and I know my suspension won't pass, along with various bushes that are screwed.
I have a 99 tdi sport that I use every day and do a fair few miles in and is currently all standard. What I'd like to know is what people can recomend. I don't want to spend to much, but would like to lower the car a bit and stiffen it up too. I'm not interested in coilovers and I still run on the standard alloys, so I doubt I'd be able to go too low anyway.
I was also thinking, mainly for my own ease of fitting, getting a full car set of poly bushes. I've used them on other cars with good results, but it seems a mixed opinion amongst you guys as to whether they are any good on A3's.

I know you pay for what you get, but cheaper the better because I have some other issues I need to get sorted on the car too that may turn out to be £££

Rich, you're still alive!

With regards to poly bushes, dont bother, it's a complete waste of time from all accounts I've heard. Apparently they dont last very long, and can make the ride awful.

I fitted all new standard bushes and wishbones on mine, and the difference was incredible. So much smoother, and more precise to drive, and cheaper than poly bushes!

Wish bones are about £30 exchange, with new bushes ready to fit.

As for shocks and springs, I would recommend the Weitec Ultra GT kit every time for a budget setup. It's made by KW, and appears to be of very high quality. 10k on mine so far and no complaints at all.

I've fitted the 50mm lowered weitec GT kit to mine, and I love it. The ride is still VERY comfy, noticably more so than my old standard shocks. it's nicely stiffened and I now get essentially NO body roll at all. The whole car is transformed.

At just £280 for the shocks and springs, it's a bargin!

I believe they do the kit in 30, 40, and 50mm drops too. I'd go 40 or 50, as mines on the 50 kit and it really isnt all that low at all.

gallery_168_26_16497.jpg

This pic shows standard height Vs weitec 50mm kit. same cars, same wheels.

Just bear in mind that the standard car has 137, 000 mile old top mounts.

When I changed my top mounts at 148k, it brought the front end UP 15mm!

I read your other post on your suspension, you're winning me over! I bought new top mounts a while ago but haven't had chance to fit them yet, and I think I will go with standard bushes and just make my own tool for fitting them, if my VAG ones have lasted 130k miles, then I think new OEM will be just fine :thumbsup:

Anyone want to do me a set of the smae suspension as Nick's got in 40mm for a good price? :)

Does anyone know the prices for genuine bushes from Audi? Or would GSF replacements be as good?