Tired Suspension

Wingnut Express

Audi sponsored by Mastercard
Reaction score
Hi Guys, This is my first post and I was hoping for some well informed suspension advice. I have just got my car back from been re mapped at Jabbasports and I would have to say I am very happy with the results, but the techinican said to me that it kept sliding over to the left on the rollers and it felt a bit sloppy on the road test, so I can only guess the suspension has had it's day. So I have been reading thru the forum for a good few weeks now and have found some great information, but due to the fact I live in South London and don't like to slow too much for speed humps, I have come up with this set up, and I would really like your advice/seal of approval, so that I don't make any expensive mistakes.

Weitec Ultra GT 20/15
KW Adj Tie Bars
22mm Neuspeed Front Sway Bar
19mm (MK4) R32 Rear Sway Bar
Standard Replacement Bushes & Top Mounts

Thanks Ian:blackrs4:

what car is it?

I've got Eibach 30mm and GAZ adjustable ones on mine :) spot on for driving in Kent and SE London. Mine is an A3 yr 2000.

Weitec Ultra GT 20/15
KW Adj Tie Bars
22mm Neuspeed Front Sway Bar
19mm (MK4) R32 Rear Sway Bar
Standard Replacement Bushes & Top Mounts

That's exactly what I am going to go for - when I can fecking afford it!

Though not sure about the ARBs - one dude recently put on the ARBs above and said it was excellent in handling the roll and not too rigid just enough to fathom the need - I have stock so will probably stick with them for the mo and possibly change them as and when. I'd stick with OE bushes; the Polyflex ones are rated highly and a few have agreed it transforms the car - but you also hear they are not as 'tough' as the OE ones.

Good reviews on the Weitec kits (though for A3's not S3's) and I prefer the smaller drop of 15/20 compared with 25/30 and the like of the Eibach/HRs as I would not want to go too low. I remember PaulS3 has the GMBH suspension on his which dropped it by similar amounts and he commented on how well it felt and doubted he would ever need to uprate it. It also helps the wheels fit in more snuggly and not as obvious as a lower drop.

What size wheels you running? I'm on 17's and will stick with them when I do the change. I've thought about 18s but with the mention of slightly poorer handling and road noise has put me off plus the fact that the per£ corner is more than the 17" convinced me

Where you getting this kit? DPM did a good price on the Weitec and KW when I enquired last, for the ARBs I wouldn't know.

Thanks Jester, we do try and give you Audi-Sport lot especially good prices!

Sounds like some good choices you've made there, but personally i'd go for the H&R ARBs as i think they make a bigger difference and suit lowered suspension better then the likes of the Neuspeed and R32 bars.

Damian @ DPM

I'm running 17" Avus, I kind of aiming for the stealth look with the car, I wanna suprise some fools, when they try their luck
But, if you guys think the bigger ARB's (H&R 25/21) are a better idea then I might go for them. Damien@DPM may be getting a call

25/21 ARBs on 17" wheels?
I wouldn't.
But I wouldn't fit the 25/21s at all...in my view they are too big. The S3 needs to roll a bit to give the front some bite as it's fairly crap standard. You'll stil get understeer with 25/21s unless you radically re-work the front suspension.

I ran my 22/19 set up on standard 17" wheels and if anything, it was just a touch stiff on roll as it made the tyres work hard and roll over on the sidewalls...and this was on a car that had a lot of negative camber.

I would NOT run 25/21 on 17" wheels...I'd say 18s and their smaller sidewalls are required to make the best of them...although if I'm honest, I'd not run 25/21 at all.
The 22/19s just work so well on the S3.

Thanks guys, that's the ARB's sorted, but does anyone have any advice on the Weitec Ultra Gt on the S3, I know they have been priased on the A3 and MK4 Golf's, but I don't think I can make my budget stretch to the B8's and H&R spring, as I really want the ARB's too.

Thanks guys, that's the ARB's sorted, but does anyone have any advice on the Weitec Ultra Gt on the S3, I know they have been priased on the A3 and MK4 Golf's, but I don't think I can make my budget stretch to the B8's and H&R spring, as I really want the ARB's too.

My advice:
Buy the B8s and H&Rs and forget the ARBs.
Try it, on the 17" wheels...and see how you get on.
Without the 18" wheels and aggressive set up, you may feel the B8s and H&Rs are perfect.
I drove an S3 with B8s/H&Rs on otherwise standard suspension and wheels, and it was fantastic.

The geometry and ARBs are just chassing a few % gain by optimising the rest..to me, the springs and dampers are where the big gains are....so buy the best you can.

It's your choice..but I'd fit B8s and H&Rs and spend some time with it...you may find you don't need the ARBs at all.

Damian & Ess Three many thanks.
As always some top advice, I will change the top mounts and bushes on the wishbones at the same time just to tighten everthing up.
Damian I will drop you a line about the B8's, H&R's & The KW Tie Bars.:salute: