Heated seats.

nickaudi41

Reaction score
Quick question,

A friend has bought an S3 (sorry James) it has no heated seats option. Do the cars come with the seats with the heat elements just without the switches and cables? Or do you have to buy whole new seats and everything else?

Thanks in advance.

Nick

IIRC you'll need new seats with the elements installed

cheaper to buy another pair of socks imo

Richter Sport in MK do retro fit heated seats!
Call Craig 07818 425569

i think this same post has done the rounds only a day ago...why is it being reposted

What were we talking about?

goldfish-question.gif

Ahh yes, that we were.

You can buy the seat heater elements from Audi, but that involves taking the seat apart. Which is fun.

I can confirm that taking the seats apart is NOT fun, and I've got the shredded fingers to prove it!! I spent 6 hours last night stripping down my passenger seat trying to fix the recline. It is a heated seat and the pads look to be relatively easy to fit, it's just taking the upholstery off and more importantly, putting it back on straight!!

The good news is that I've got the recline back working. Bad news is that the tilt mechanism is mullered, so rear passengers only get in/out through the drivers side.

I did find a copy of an Audi 'A3 Interior Maintenance' guide, which includes how to strip down the seat, and how to fit heating pads, even showing how to correctly route and secure the cabling in the seat. Can't remember the original link, but I'll put the manual up and post a link in the next day or so.

Still at least I'm back to a five seat car!! I'll now be scouring Ebay for a replacement seat...

Cheers,

Hey, full marks for having a go. Nothing wrong with taking a look.

No chance of getting any parts welded up, or are they intricate items?

Hey, full marks for having a go. Nothing wrong with taking a look.

No chance of getting any parts welded up, or are they intricate items?

Sadly, it's the tilt release mechanism in the inboard side of the seat, and all the parts are inside a welded and riveted section. I think a bit of swarf has got jammed in the mechanism, so it always thinks the seat is tilted fully forward. Spent over an hour poking around it there but could not find the offending item.

I checked on replacing it, but sadly, the replaceable part is the whole backrest frame as a unit, which according to Vagcat costs more then 500Euros, so cheaper, and easier to get a 2nd hand seat from Ebay.

One important point, if you do remove the seat is to not turn on the ignition while the seat is out, or an air bag fault will be logged and require a vagcom reset. If you don't switch on the ignition while the seat is out, it's fine.

Cheers,

i'll buy the base of the broken seat off ya if you find another:yahoo:

My handle that moves the seat back and forward has had a dog chewing on it- previous owner im afraid...was gonna get it recond by a local mobile unit but not sure how easy that would be

i'll buy the base of the broken seat off ya if you find another:yahoo:

My handle that moves the seat back and forward has had a dog chewing on it- previous owner im afraid...was gonna get it recond by a local mobile unit but not sure how easy that would be

Sure. I think I'll probably end up having to buy a complete interior, and sell off the spare parts separately. I'll see how the one on Ebay at the moment goes. >£250 already...

Alistair

no probs mate...... thanks:yahoo:

Incidently, what colour interior is it?

Tim

no probs mate...... thanks:yahoo:

Incidently, what colour interior is it?

Tim

Tim, must have been a bit late when you wrote this one, or you were still jet lagged from warp speed after CC...

Check my sig :shrug:

Cheers,

ah crap haha...TBH i was in a rush to shut the craptop lid...getting grief foe spending my life on Audi Net...well my life to her means im doing something whilst she isnt.... if that makes sense :uhm: