TDI QUATTRO, Anyone got one?

blackwood

Reaction score
Hi All,
New to the forum,would like to know if anyone out there has a tdi quattro,and what they think of it.I am thinking of buying one,probably an ' 02 model,I want to use it as an everyday car,but need to go up and down France a fair bit (700 miles each way).I'm currently running a 300bhp Scooby which only does about 20mpg,hence the need for a little more economy.I had considered a 150 Golf,but thought the suspension was a little bouncy,other than that,very impressed.I've had a short test drive in an A3 quattro,and was VERY impressed,but sadly it wasn't a particularly long test (about 5 miles)so didn't get the full impression.Any thoughts anyone may have will be greatly appreciated,thanks for taking the time to read this,and thanks in advance for any comments...
Regards Blackwood

[ QUOTE ]
blackwood said:
Hi All,
New to the forum,would like to know if anyone out there has a tdi quattro,and what they think of it.I am thinking of buying one,probably an ' 02 model,I want to use it as an everyday car,but need to go up and down France a fair bit (700 miles each way).I'm currently running a 300bhp Scooby which only does about 20mpg,hence the need for a little more economy.I had considered a 150 Golf,but thought the suspension was a little bouncy,other than that,very impressed.I've had a short test drive in an A3 quattro,and was VERY impressed,but sadly it wasn't a particularly long test (about 5 miles)so didn't get the full impression.Any thoughts anyone may have will be greatly appreciated,thanks for taking the time to read this,and thanks in advance for any comments...
Regards Blackwood

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Blackwood,
I own an O2 plate silver TDI Quattro thats had some serious mods to it...I.m more than happy with performance and when you drive it like you stole it produces a very impressive 39MPG...Driven normally using the torque/changing mid rev range your looking at 42-48MPG....More on a standard car.
Admittedly it sounds kinda like a small tractor with a turbo whistle but i'm used to it now...Such a small negative on an otherwise great car.
Was the car you test dro=ve standard or modded?
What was you initial impressions coming from a JAP flying machine to this during your short test drive?
Cheers

Hi Alonzo,
Thanks for the reply.The car was bog standard at a dealer,and I have to say I was VERY impressed,so much so that as soon as the Scooby is sold I'm probly going to get one.It's either that or a 150 Golf,was well impressed with that too,a friend has one so have managed to blag quite a decent test drive,however,the only thing I could fault it on was that it felt a bit too " bouncy" when on country back roads (I'm up in North Yorkshire ),where quite a lot of my motoring takes place.The Audi on the other hand felt a lot more positive handling wise.By the sound of it ,you've had a chip/re-map of some sort,have you also lowered or altered the car in any other ways,and how much of a difference has it all made? After the Scooby,I thought the Audi would feel quite slow,but I was very pleasantly surprised.As I don't know anyone with one of these cars I really appreciate any comments from someone who has direct experience of them.Cheers for taking the time to give me your thoughts.I have also been used to four wheel drive,so am erring towards the Audi rather than the Golf.
Regards Blackwood

Hi All,
Following on from my last post,can anyone advise me if when I've bought my A3 I would be ok to use one of the many "plug in boxes" (which is best?),or would I be better getting a chip? Your comments would be really appreciated.Thank-you for looking,apologies for asking what may appear to be banal questions,but it's the only way I'm gonna find out!!!
Regards to all Blackwood

I bought a 'tuning box' off Ebay for my TDI. It does really make it fly, and for £100, it isn't bad. The fuel consumption hasn't altered due to it either. However, there's no substitute for doing it properly. As soon as the pennies will allow, I'm off to AMD for the real thing! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
blackwood said:
Hi Alonzo,
Thanks for the reply.The car was bog standard at a dealer,and I have to say I was VERY impressed,so much so that as soon as the Scooby is sold I'm probly going to get one.It's either that or a 150 Golf,was well impressed with that too,a friend has one so have managed to blag quite a decent test drive,however,the only thing I could fault it on was that it felt a bit too " bouncy" when on country back roads (I'm up in North Yorkshire ),where quite a lot of my motoring takes place.The Audi on the other hand felt a lot more positive handling wise.By the sound of it ,you've had a chip/re-map of some sort,have you also lowered or altered the car in any other ways,and how much of a difference has it all made? After the Scooby,I thought the Audi would feel quite slow,but I was very pleasantly surprised.As I don't know anyone with one of these cars I really appreciate any comments from someone who has direct experience of them.Cheers for taking the time to give me your thoughts.I have also been used to four wheel drive,so am erring towards the Audi rather than the Golf.
Regards Blackwood

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Mate,
Sorry for the delay in replying this site is as slow as hell 95% of the time (maybe if we all chip a quid in they could upgrade to a 56K modem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif)..
Yeah my cars been chipped/remapped and tunerboxed by the sounds of things (still waiting for a 4wd rolling road for exact figures)...
Remap aside i haven't altered the suspension at all but will be getting h&r springs and Koni shocks ASAP (Probs next month) which i can adjust to suit.
Rims are standard also but again very soon i'm getting 18" RSTT with P-rossos from http://www.rochfordtyres.co.uk/prodtype.asp?PT_ID=57&strPageHistory=cat

Where abouts in North Yorks Are you?
Cheers
Danny

Hi Guys,
Once again,thanks loads for taking the time to answer my questions,I'm just outside Scarborough,and to the best of my knowledge,there are no tdi quattro's around here,so I guess someone has to be first!! How do Insurance companies re-act to chips/re-maps/boxes? I used Adrian Flux for the wife's Discovery,gone from 136bhp to 198bhp (chip and monster intercooler)and they only wanted £80 extra which I thought reasonable.I don't want to go too far with any mods,just exploit what's already there if you see what I mean.I assume with 17 " wheels these cars handle pretty well anyway,so I guess if I could initially get another 25-30 bhp that would do for starters.Once again,many thanks for taking the time to read this,your comments are most welcome...
Regards Blackwood

My quid's ready!!!