Badger5JMB Retrofits
    Donnie Mac

Status

S3 HeadGasket on its way out?

Hi all. Recently noticed a greeny/yellow deposit on the underside of the oil filler cap on my 1999 S3. Am I right in saying that this is probably my head gasket starting to go? I took a couple of pics but I couldnt upload them unfortunately. The gunk gets worse after long journeys. If it is headgasket is it gonna be an expensive repair? Can a garage do a compression test to check it? And would I have to get the head skimmed or is that just if it blows completely? I was planning getting revo remap so il probably get the guy to do the head gasket at the same time. any help/advice welcome!!! cheers

2. # ADS
    ADS

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    is the car overheating? did you check whether there is oil in the coolant expansion bottle?

have you tried wiping off the junk and see if it comes again. It might be just the cold weather and some condensation especially if you don't drive the car too much

Donnie Mac

Status
    car doesnt overheat at all, sits bang on 90 when in use. havent checked the water but will do tomorow. i only use car every couple of days, and just for short runs like 5-10 miles really. so maybe condensation? wouldnt mind getting it checked out mind you

Top Gear
    Cell-Out Champion

Status
    from your description (every coulple of days, short distances), I would say condensation esp that it's not overheating

1st Gear

Status
    Just what i was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by abdus View Post
    from your description (every coulple of days, short distances), I would say condensation esp that it's not overheating

5th Gear

Status
    Yep, sounds just like a bit of moisture, give it a good long run and it should go away.
    Short journeys dont do cars any good
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

HTC
    6th Gear

Status
    Especially in cold weather.