Volks AutosMonster Motorsport
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    3rd Gear

Status

Paint bubbling/corrosion on edge of roof

Hi guys,

I had Alex from South Coast Detailing come over to do a pre-detail inspection on my car this afternoon. While we were going over it I noticed that I have some paint bubbles on the passenger side up along the roof gulleys..there's 3 patches spreading over a 30cm length!

I understand this is quite a common problem on the A3/S3? Has anyone here made a successful claim with Audi on their anti-corrosion warranty and got this damage fixed? I certainly wouldn't expect this sort of corrosion on an Audi and I'm not a happy bunny at the moment!
    2001 S3 AMK in black - Ambient lighting kit and Aero wipers.
    Is it wrong to love your car more than your girlfriend? - When you no longer have a girlfriend it's fine!

2. # ADS
    ADS

More Points Than Portsmouth FC

Status
    I keep meaning to pop to Audi to see about mine

They like getting out of it by using a paint gague and claiming its been sprayed at one point tho

Brum brum

Status
    Yes, if you do a search, there is loads of info. Someone was compiling a list of successful claims as well.
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

1st Gear

Status
    I have the same problem on my A3, i think its a common fault, same thing has happen to my mums VW Lupo
    Audi A3 54 plate 2.0 FSI Sport
    www.simplydents.co.uk

Mods - 11 Rear lights, custom front matt black grille, I pod connection, S3 rear spoiler.

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    i have a couyple below the door line and two spots on the edge of the rear number plate overhang..... gonna nip it to the dealer before having that side resprayed....dont want to ruin my warranty chances
    Xbox 360 gamer ID : Timffy

Grey Triumph Sprint 1050 ST
    Silver BMW 535D Tourer - Fully loaded 340BHP 700NM torque
    2009 8P3 S3 Brilliant Red - Sold
    2001 F/L S3 Dolphin Grey - Sold
    1999 Pre F/L Silver A3 1.8T - Sold

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs356 View Post
    Yes, if you do a search, there is loads of info. Someone was compiling a list of successful claims as well.
    Must admit I didn't realise it was such a common problem. I'd seen it mentioned on here before but thought it was just a few odd cases.

Looks like I shouldn't have any problems getting the work done until the anti-corrosion warranty. Will let you know how it goes.

Ta,
    Andy
    Is it wrong to love your car more than your girlfriend? - When you no longer have a girlfriend it's fine!

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    Andy i wouldnt be too sure....from whati have read on here, these sorts of claims are 50/50 from dealer to dealer

1st Gear

Status
    I have the same problem on my s3, a few bubbly spots on the roof gutter and the back pannel on my boot door where the lock is. Will have to go and find out while the warranty is still valid.

Brum brum

Status
    If the dealer gives you a hard time, just take it elsewhere. You will find a sympathetic ear somewhere!
    Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by jcs356 View Post
    If the dealer gives you a hard time, just take it elsewhere. You will find a sympathetic ear somewhere!
    Exactly. I have both Portsmouth and Southampton Audi within 5 mins of home and work respectively and if I don't get any luck at either of those then I'll keep trying until I'm satisfied This is a defect on Audi's part and they've admitted fault and repaired for so many other people with the same fault that if I have to take the problem to Audi UK then I will.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly when I pop to Southampton Audi tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
    Exactly. I have both Portsmouth and Southampton Audi within 5 mins of home and work respectively and if I don't get any luck at either of those then I'll keep trying until I'm satisfied This is a defect on Audi's part and they've admitted fault and repaired for so many other people with the same fault that if I have to take the problem to Audi UK then I will.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly when I pop to Southampton Audi tomorrow. Wish me luck!
    I just had my s3 resprayed by Reading Audi for nowt due to corrosion on the roof - no hassle from Audi at all.

May be worth a drive up to Reading mate

Neutral

Status
    How old was your car?

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    ive just booked mine in for inspection next week, couple tiny bubbles on the lower side of the doors and couple spots on the boot...... as im not getting my scratches resprayed by an approved centre....im hoping that they agree a claim so i dont have to have it sprayed myself hehe

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by coullstar View Post
    How old was your car?
    2001 mate

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by doug mk2 View Post
    I just had my s3 resprayed by Reading Audi for nowt due to corrosion on the roof - no hassle from Audi at all.

Thanks for the tip matey.

I have an appointment at Southampton Audi tomorrow for an inspection. I phoned up, said I had some bubbling paintwork that needed sorting on the roof and asked who I should speak to about it, and she immediately put me through to the warranty lady, so I assume they know about the fault.

Just gotta cross my fingers and hope the car's had no bodywork on that side of the car before.

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by themanthatcan View Post
    Thanks for the tip matey.

I have an appointment at Southampton Audi tomorrow for an inspection. I phoned up, said I had some bubbling paintwork that needed sorting on the roof and asked who I should speak to about it, and she immediately put me through to the warranty lady, so I assume they know about the fault.

Just gotta cross my fingers and hope the car's had no bodywork on that side of the car before.
    mate it took the guys from the garage less than 2 minutes to concede that it was a valid warranty claim, you should have no problems mate. I also blagged it that a vw tech actually noticed the problem initially at another dealership (semi true).

The only thing that took a while was the paperwork at Audi UK - this was mostly due to the fact that the claim took place mid december and most of the warranty staff were on holiday etc.

2nd Gear

Status
    My local dealer even warned me that it is common to get corrosion along the top of the roof line, and told me that it is covered under warranty. So you should have no problems mate.
    Work commute:
    Honda CBR 1000RR
    169 kg & 170 bhp - eeek!

Backdraft Big Turbo Silver S3, Supersprint, Eibach lowered, QST rear tiebars, SPA boost gauge Sold
    Lotus Elise 111R also Sold

Wanted: Honda powered Lotus Elise S2

3rd Gear

Status
    How long did your paperwork take then? I've heard people mention 2 weeks in other threads but I guess yours was longer? I've just arranged a bodywork detailing for the 11th April so it looks like I may have to rearrange this until Audi have done their work.

Neutral

Status
    prob took about 4 working weeks but was obviously longer when you take into account crimbo holidays etc. Oh and it was also delayed a week cos the bodyshop "lost" the courtesy car they gave me.

I wasnt too fussed how long it took cos I knew it would get sorted eventually.

I'd play safe and wait for audi to do their thing before you book detailing sessions.

VAG HUNTER

Status
    i have notices a little bit of paint bubbling on the boot lock panel,i take it this could be covered under warranty my car is 2001,and i live in Reading so could pop in there
    A4 TDI S-LINE

2nd Gear

Status
    Epsom Audi, 2 weeks from inspection to the car being booked into the paint shop....
    Audi S3 Ming Blue
    BMW 2.0td Compact Flamenco Red
    Mk3 Golf Gti Indian Red (gone but not forgotten........ the most reliable car ive ever owned...)

1st Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by doug mk2 View Post

Do you mean just the roof or did they do more?

More Points Than Portsmouth FC

Status
    I may have to actually pop to Pompey Audi when I get back then and have a quiet word with them about it rather than just putting it on hold

1st Gear

Status
    Mine is late 98, can i get mine sorted under warranty?
    www.simplydents.co.uk

Mods - 11 Rear lights, custom front matt black grille, I pod connection, S3 rear spoiler.

1st Gear

Status
    www.simplydents.co.uk

3rd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by nik patel View Post
    It's a 12 year anti-corrosion warranty so yes you can

1st Gear

Status
    Cool im gonna get it sorted, but my dealer Audi Watford does not have a body shop, so i will have to find the nearest one. Or do Audi give it to an insurance approved bodyshop? Hopefully they give me a nice loan car aswell!
    www.simplydents.co.uk

1st Gear

Status
    had mine done last year via my local audi dealer,all free too,had the doors,1/4 panels and roof done,listers of worcester and there body shop is hereford vw.

5th Gear

Status
    so the waranty is transferable then from owner to owner ??.... my 1999 Quattro has the tiniest hint of bubbles on the passenger roof line and bttm of drivers door... guess i'll be getting in touch with Manchester or Salford Audi... i would rather it done now than letting it get worse

5th Gear

Status
    ohh does anyone know what causes the rust on the roof ??? i can understand the door... but why always the passenger side of the roof ??

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    ohh does anyone know what causes the rust on the roof ??? i can understand the door... but why always the passenger side of the roof ??
    The roof panel is separate from the rear quater panel and the seam joining them is under the drainage channel so water inevitably gets trapped in there causing the corrosion.
    Audi S3 Ming Blue
    Mk3 Golf Gti Indian Red (gone but not forgotten........ the most reliable car ive ever owned...)

Neutral

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by James333 View Post
    Do you mean just the roof or did they do more?

yeah, they ended up doing the whole car mate. was well chuffed!

6th Gear

Status
    I had a successful claim last year with my A3 1.8t sport,the car was a 98/R and to be honest thought they were going to turn me down. Audi sent down their paint work expert to confirm the car hadn't been resprayed before, he seemed happy at the claim and the car was taken into the body work shop in colchester 2 weeks later. Was very pleased,apparently as long as you notify Audi at the earliest stage and dont let the rust get out of hand you should hopefully be ok !

3rd Gear

Status
    I've just got back from Southampton Audi where their warranty guy Tony took a look and said there would be no problems whatsoever getting Audi to fix it as it's such a common problem.

I need to get it down to their bodyshop to get the obligatory paint thickness test done and as long as that's ok then they'll get my claim submitted for Audi's approval, which sound like just a formailty.

Fingers crossed!

1st Gear

Status
    Did you all get courtesy cars>?
    www.simplydents.co.uk

Neutral

Status
    indeed

S3 Drift King!

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 666markyboy View Post
    so the waranty is transferable then from owner to owner ??.... my 1999 Quattro has the tiniest hint of bubbles on the passenger roof line and bttm of drivers door... guess i'll be getting in touch with Manchester or Salford Audi... i would rather it done now than letting it get worse
    The Warranty is with the car, no matter who owns it, obviously, they would take wear and tear into the equation, eg. if it's done 50k miles then you got a better chance than if you had 200k miles on the ODO.

99' Audi S3(APY) - Brilliant Black Click>>>Going Sideways vid!
    You've got to have a laugh! For Sale:LCR Brakes - £400

2nd Gear

Status
    yep a crappy golf plus but i had to pay for my own insurance on it...... I did think after getting the courtesy car that i should of mentioned to Audi that i would be interested in purchacing an 8P S3 after my 8L, never know they maybe would of given me a demo 8P S3 instead, maybe worth a try...lol
    Audi S3 Ming Blue

The Clar!! it mouves!!!

Status
    i think that they make a judgement call as to what type of person they think you are Dub

2nd Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by 1animal1 View Post
    i think that they make a judgement call as to what type of person they think you are Dub
    LOL....
    Audi S3 Ming Blue

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast