Paint bubbling/corrosion on edge of roof

themanthatcan

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I had Alex from South Coast Detailing come over to do a pre-detail inspection on my car this afternoon. While we were going over it I noticed that I have some paint bubbles on the passenger side up along the roof gulleys..there's 3 patches spreading over a 30cm length!

I understand this is quite a common problem on the A3/S3? Has anyone here made a successful claim with Audi on their anti-corrosion warranty and got this damage fixed? I certainly wouldn't expect this sort of corrosion on an Audi and I'm not a happy bunny at the moment! :keule:

I keep meaning to pop to Audi to see about mine

They like getting out of it by using a paint gague and claiming its been sprayed at one point tho

Yes, if you do a search, there is loads of info. Someone was compiling a list of successful claims as well.

i have a couyple below the door line and two spots on the edge of the rear number plate overhang..... gonna nip it to the dealer before having that side resprayed....dont want to ruin my warranty chances:whistle2:

Yes, if you do a search, there is loads of info. Someone was compiling a list of successful claims as well.

Must admit I didn't realise it was such a common problem. I'd seen it mentioned on here before but thought it was just a few odd cases.

Looks like I shouldn't have any problems getting the work done until the anti-corrosion warranty. Will let you know how it goes.

Ta,
Andy

Andy i wouldnt be too sure....from whati have read on here, these sorts of claims are 50/50 from dealer to dealer

I have the same problem on my s3, a few bubbly spots on the roof gutter and the back pannel on my boot door where the lock is. Will have to go and find out while the warranty is still valid.

If the dealer gives you a hard time, just take it elsewhere. You will find a sympathetic ear somewhere!

If the dealer gives you a hard time, just take it elsewhere. You will find a sympathetic ear somewhere!

Exactly. I have both Portsmouth and Southampton Audi within 5 mins of home and work respectively and if I don't get any luck at either of those then I'll keep trying until I'm satisfied :) This is a defect on Audi's part and they've admitted fault and repaired for so many other people with the same fault that if I have to take the problem to Audi UK then I will.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly when I pop to Southampton Audi tomorrow. Wish me luck!

Exactly. I have both Portsmouth and Southampton Audi within 5 mins of home and work respectively and if I don't get any luck at either of those then I'll keep trying until I'm satisfied :) This is a defect on Audi's part and they've admitted fault and repaired for so many other people with the same fault that if I have to take the problem to Audi UK then I will.

Hopefully everything will go smoothly when I pop to Southampton Audi tomorrow. Wish me luck!

I just had my s3 resprayed by Reading Audi for nowt due to corrosion on the roof - no hassle from Audi at all.

May be worth a drive up to Reading mate

ive just booked mine in for inspection next week, couple tiny bubbles on the lower side of the doors and couple spots on the boot...... as im not getting my scratches resprayed by an approved centre....im hoping that they agree a claim so i dont have to have it sprayed myself hehe

I just had my s3 resprayed by Reading Audi for nowt due to corrosion on the roof - no hassle from Audi at all.

Thanks for the tip matey.

I have an appointment at Southampton Audi tomorrow for an inspection. I phoned up, said I had some bubbling paintwork that needed sorting on the roof and asked who I should speak to about it, and she immediately put me through to the warranty lady, so I assume they know about the fault.

Just gotta cross my fingers and hope the car's had no bodywork on that side of the car before.

Thanks for the tip matey.

I have an appointment at Southampton Audi tomorrow for an inspection. I phoned up, said I had some bubbling paintwork that needed sorting on the roof and asked who I should speak to about it, and she immediately put me through to the warranty lady, so I assume they know about the fault.

Just gotta cross my fingers and hope the car's had no bodywork on that side of the car before.

mate it took the guys from the garage less than 2 minutes to concede that it was a valid warranty claim, you should have no problems mate. I also blagged it that a vw tech actually noticed the problem initially at another dealership (semi true).

The only thing that took a while was the paperwork at Audi UK - this was mostly due to the fact that the claim took place mid december and most of the warranty staff were on holiday etc.

My local dealer even warned me that it is common to get corrosion along the top of the roof line, and told me that it is covered under warranty. So you should have no problems mate.

How long did your paperwork take then? I've heard people mention 2 weeks in other threads but I guess yours was longer? I've just arranged a bodywork detailing for the 11th April so it looks like I may have to rearrange this until Audi have done their work.

prob took about 4 working weeks but was obviously longer when you take into account crimbo holidays etc. Oh and it was also delayed a week cos the bodyshop "lost" the courtesy car they gave me.

I wasnt too fussed how long it took cos I knew it would get sorted eventually.

I'd play safe and wait for audi to do their thing before you book detailing sessions.

i have notices a little bit of paint bubbling on the boot lock panel,i take it this could be covered under warranty my car is 2001,and i live in Reading so could pop in there

Epsom Audi, 2 weeks from inspection to the car being booked into the paint shop....

Do you mean just the roof or did they do more?:unsure:

I may have to actually pop to Pompey Audi when I get back then and have a quiet word with them about it rather than just putting it on hold

Cool im gonna get it sorted, but my dealer Audi Watford does not have a body shop, so i will have to find the nearest one. Or do Audi give it to an insurance approved bodyshop? Hopefully they give me a nice loan car aswell!

had mine done last year via my local audi dealer,all free too,had the doors,1/4 panels and roof done,listers of worcester and there body shop is hereford vw.

so the waranty is transferable then from owner to owner ??.... my 1999 Quattro has the tiniest hint of bubbles on the passenger roof line and bttm of drivers door... guess i'll be getting in touch with Manchester or Salford Audi... i would rather it done now than letting it get worse

ohh does anyone know what causes the rust on the roof ??? i can understand the door... but why always the passenger side of the roof ??

ohh does anyone know what causes the rust on the roof ??? i can understand the door... but why always the passenger side of the roof ??

The roof panel is separate from the rear quater panel and the seam joining them is under the drainage channel so water inevitably gets trapped in there causing the corrosion.

I had a successful claim last year with my A3 1.8t sport,the car was a 98/R and to be honest thought they were going to turn me down. Audi sent down their paint work expert to confirm the car hadn't been resprayed before, he seemed happy at the claim and the car was taken into the body work shop in colchester 2 weeks later. Was very pleased,apparently as long as you notify Audi at the earliest stage and dont let the rust get out of hand you should hopefully be ok !

I've just got back from Southampton Audi where their warranty guy Tony took a look and said there would be no problems whatsoever getting Audi to fix it as it's such a common problem.

I need to get it down to their bodyshop to get the obligatory paint thickness test done and as long as that's ok then they'll get my claim submitted for Audi's approval, which sound like just a formailty.

Fingers crossed!

so the waranty is transferable then from owner to owner ??.... my 1999 Quattro has the tiniest hint of bubbles on the passenger roof line and bttm of drivers door... guess i'll be getting in touch with Manchester or Salford Audi... i would rather it done now than letting it get worse

The Warranty is with the car, no matter who owns it, obviously, they would take wear and tear into the equation, eg. if it's done 50k miles then you got a better chance than if you had 200k miles on the ODO.

Did you all get courtesy cars>?

yep a crappy golf plus but i had to pay for my own insurance on it...... I did think after getting the courtesy car that i should of mentioned to Audi that i would be interested in purchacing an 8P S3 after my 8L, never know they maybe would of given me a demo 8P S3 instead, maybe worth a try...lol

i think that they make a judgement call as to what type of person they think you are Dub:p