Do I get my S3 remapped or not?

themanthatcan

VCDS Map User
Reaction score
Howdy,

I've had my S3 for almost 2 weeks now and I'm starting to get bored of the power already!

The next natural progression is a remap but my worry is that it's done 107k miles and I don't want to kill it as I'm planning on keeping it for at least the next 3 years (at 10k miles a year).

In your opinions should I just put up with the car the way it is for now and just swap out bits like the exhaust with performance items as and when they fail, or do I take the risk and get it remapped?

Also, does anyone have recommendations for a detailer who does a good paint correction job in the Portsmouth area as my car's black and covered in swirl marks and light scratches.

Cheers,
Andy

ye go for it! if the turbo goes then get a big turbo upgrade then ull be more than happy with it :thumbsup:

Its a bit like asking should I sleep with Cheryl Cole........................:footy:

Does the mileage of a car make a difference to whether a car should be remapped or not?

Does the mileage of a car make a difference to whether a car should be remapped or not?

Well that's what I'd like to know. I have a grand in a savings account in case anything drastic goes wrong with the car, but what I don't want to do is drastically accellerate wear and tear. I'm assuming the clutch will wear out quicker with the additional power being put through it but will the remap have an effect on the wear on the gearbox?

What other components could I expect to see increased wear and tear on?

None really, maybe your tyres if you switch Traction Control off ;)

Your not upping the power by a huge amount so really wouldnt worry about it, anything that goes would have gone anyway and probably quite soon. The standard setup can easily handle a 265bhp upgrade with no issues. Clutch will only really suffer if you have a habbit for wheelspinnig (or your ham fisted at gear changes :p)

Got mine remapped at 150k - was in the same boat umming and rrring whether to do it or not, but after some work (service, cambelt, TIP) I thought may as well. The only parts that I am concerned about are the clutch and the flywheel as they are due a change soon and the remap may help speed that up! However saying that I've done 6k and all has been good, only issue was a boost leak with a split hose but that was an easy fix. Like you say when it fails replace is the sensible route to start at.

You will need to ensure you have decent brakes as you have a habit of arriving somewhere just that little too quickly and need to bring it down quickly. My set-up is still standard, ideally want to go for the Big Brake upgrade (nick-barnes07 has a ATE on offer - but just can't afford it :( at the mo), but will be going for the ebay Mintex pads and discs as an interim. Did debate the BD, FS2500, EBC etc question, but down on cost and relatively postitive reviews going down the Mintex route.

A couple of things that people look at changing are the DV and air filter for a 'performance' one; this is up to you. A lot of people will say Forge 007p for the DV and a Green Cotton Air filter is the db's and will set you back £100+. I stick for standard OE stuff, as a result; cheaper to replace, just as reliable and gets your hands dirty.

Final one is your tyres, people prefer the soft compound for grip some prefer hard for durability. Either way you will be paying for a least one set a year - currently my wear rate is 13k a set - depending on the mileage you do. You may get away with it, but bear in mind that option. Currently got 4 x Vredestein Ultrac at £326 on which do seem good value, but I fear won't last the distance.

On the detailing - either pay someone £250-£500 to do it or invest in a Polisher and Polish from Polished Bliss for less then £200 and do it yourself, plus 6 months later do it again for free..i've got my polish and now just waiting for my new Meguairs DA polisher to arrive!

get the remap! will transform ur car along with getting a oo7p valve.

Many thanks for the further replies guys. I'm now considering getting the standard exhaust swapped out with a Miltek or similar so might put the map on hold until that's done.

I've read that a remap should help improve MPG off-boost such as motorway cruising. Have those of you who've had a remap found this to be true? Would certainly help me out as my drive to work is 20 miles of motorway.

Andy

Dont bother with the exhaust as you will not really see anyu power gains from it (this is advice i have seen Ess-Three give after extensive testing on his S3)

Go for the Remap the best £300 you will spend on your S3 (£400ish if you get the replacement filter and Forge 007p) i had Custom Code remap mine in Southampton via their mobile remap service cost me just over £400 for the remap the green panel filter and the forge all done at my house in Southampton!!

agree with rob although i have a standard air filter at present. Rob will the green panel air filter provide anything more as its something i was considering to change on my next service?

Dont bother with the exhaust as you will not really see anyu power gains from it (this is advice i have seen Ess-Three give after extensive testing on his S3)

Go for the Remap the best £300 you will spend on your S3 (£400ish if you get the replacement filter and Forge 007p) i had Custom Code remap mine in Southampton via their mobile remap service cost me just over £400 for the remap the green panel filter and the forge all done at my house in Southampton!!

My existing exhaust is starting to sound a bit ropey (rattling from one of the silencers by the sounds of it so think the baffles might be collapsing) so a replacement may be necessary anyway. May as well replace it with a performance stanless steel one.

Didn't realise there was a Custom Code mobile service which covered Southampton! They don't list one on their website. Was it booked directly with them or through a dealer?

Cheers,
Andy

agree with rob although i have a standard air filter at present. Rob will the green panel air filter provide anything more as its something i was considering to change on my next service?

When i asked custom code if they reccomended any other mods when getting the remap done they said change the dv to the forge and fit the green panel filter. I guess the remap is designed with those in mind, It does give a nice noise with the new filter of air being sucked into the engine!! Some people dont bother as they say the standard filter is just fine i think its each to their own but i went with the advice from the people doing the remap.

My existing exhaust is starting to sound a bit ropey (rattling from one of the silencers by the sounds of it so think the baffles might be collapsing) so a replacement may be necessary anyway. May as well replace it with a performance stanless steel one.

Didn't realise there was a Custom Code mobile service which covered Southampton! They don't list one on their website. Was it booked directly with them or through a dealer?

Cheers,
Andy

Ahh i see well perhaps you best get your exhaust sorted then.

As for the mobile remap Custom do this is the thread i left after having mine done :

http://audi-sport.net/vb/showthread.php?t=49794

Custom Code have a section at the bottom of the forum page out of interest.

When i got mine done they were giving 30% discount which i think is still being offered plus the mobile service is free. So as i say well worth it IMHO.

but from what other members have said, the exhaust wont actually help with the performance of the car.... due to the S3 not having many restrictions.... im sure this was posted not so long ago.... correct me if im wrong anybody

I'm not looking for any extra performance from the exhaust really. The two advantages over the standard one are that it's made from long-lasting stainless steel and that it will improve the sound from the car. At the moment the 1.8 really doesn't produce the sort of noise you'd expect from something with plenty of power

As for Supersprint, I had one of their 4-2-1 manifolds on my old 106 GTi and was really impressed with how much extra power it unleashed, but the build quality wasn't up to scratch. It looked nice and shiney but had to be welded up after 6 months on the car because it split! They're also really pricey if I remember correctly?

I'm not looking for any extra performance from the exhaust really. The two advantages over the standard one are that it's made from long-lasting stainless steel and that it will improve the sound from the car. At the moment the 1.8 really doesn't produce the sort of noise you'd expect from something with plenty of power

As for Supersprint, I had one of their 4-2-1 manifolds on my old 106 GTi and was really impressed with how much extra power it unleashed, but the build quality wasn't up to scratch. It looked nice and shiney but had to be welded up after 6 months on the car because it split! They're also really pricey if I remember correctly?

sorry mate i hadnt read the full thread......i thought the S3 exhaust was pretty much bomb proof.......