new R32 and new clio 197 sandwich

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Girlfriend's been looking for a first car for the past few weeks and i've managed to persuade her towards a 1.7 Puma, solely so i can steal it for a shot at the weekends - not told her this tho or she prob wont get one!

Gets you thinking really, how many small hatches that could actually beat the s3...

Quite a few, I'd expect...if well driven.
Standard, the S3 is heavy and wobbly...

Whats the new s3 suspension set up like????

Better...it'll still understeer is pushed...and still not as much fun as the likes of a Clio or Mini.

And guys, lets be honest, would you really spend hard earnt cash on something plastic and french????

If it were as an all rounder...I can see your point.
But if you are into new S3 money...a Golf GTI for everyday and a Clio Cup for the weekends sounds pretty good to me!

It depends if you place badge snobbery above driving fun/pleasure.

lol. Good idea rodenal. My cousin's got a 1.6 zetec s fiesta and it handles like its on rails. really solid with no drama.... not overly quick but suppose its lite enough. Cant imagine what a 170bhp racing puma or even a standard 1 would be like.... cant beet an audi for build quality and poseability though ;)

The standard one's are pretty similar to the old zetec S fiestas, light and nimble feeling and just generally alot of fun.

Audi's are nice car's to sit on the motorway in, comfortable and they look good (imo)

Having said that i've just acquired a company focus tdci and i have to say i prefer it in every way to the new a3's (except the fact that they're everywhere)

Great points made ESS. I adore my s3 to bits.... simple reason bein 19 and nothing else i sit in makes me feel so safe and kinda upper class (ive had 8 cars since i passed at 17 prob 3 or 4 bein french..peugeots and the likes).... was in the renault showroom on monday in bradford and sat in a megane sport and a 197 clio sport and just felt so cheap plastic and poorly thought out. I can imagine there alot of fun but the roads bein as they are these days with increased pigs sitting about with speed guns when can you actually have fun????

personally id rather have a bomb proof snob machine with half decent straight line performace combined with safety of the 4x4 and comfort of my heated recaros!!!!

lol. Good idea rodenal. My cousin's got a 1.6 zetec s fiesta and it handles like its on rails. really solid with no drama.... not overly quick but suppose its lite enough. Cant imagine what a 170bhp racing puma or even a standard 1 would be like.... cant beet an audi for build quality and poseability though ;)

It's in a different league to the S3.... I used to have a modified racing puma. Was pushing around 220bhp and 200lbs/ft courtesy of a nice turbocharger conversion!

My two best experience were leaving a very red faced 330ci owner who was trying to impress his girlfriend, and undertaking a 911 on a roundabout :)

Also owned a Clio 172, handling of this was so much better than a standard S3. Something about a car that goes on three wheels round a tight bend!

Chaps!!!!!! i have spoken to the mechanic that does my servicing today about my fault code....... i was about to order an N249 valve thingy..... except he thought it was a T piece that connects the vacuum pipes.... sat above the engine..... took the cover of this evening and the T piece is in fact broken and the smaller vacuum pipe is flapping about....will this give me any loss of power? (im hoping so lol)

So what you got now josh xs??? that racing puma sounds epic!! what turbo did you have in it??? dont see em that often with that kinda power. bet it wa a bitch to get traction though... was it a lsd model?

It's in a different league to the S3.... I used to have a modified racing puma. Was pushing around 220bhp and 200lbs/ft courtesy of a nice turbocharger conversion!

My two best experience were leaving a very red faced 330ci owner who was trying to impress his girlfriend, and undertaking a 911 on a roundabout :)

Are you sure they was even trying,200lbs/ft is nothing.

I think he means Nm - they're about 160Nm standard, remember a puma only weighs just over a tonne

I think he means Nm - they're about 160Nm standard, remember a puma only weighs just over a tonne

Nope, I mean Lbs/ft!

It had a hybrid garrett T25 running a large amount of boost :) I had lowered the comp, wired in a charge cooler etc. Went like stink, but cost me a fortune! I used to average about 16mpg :(

So what you got now josh xs???

An S3 of course! :) I love it, but am currently trying to sell it. It goes in for a new waterpump / cambelt tomorrow as it just started overheating. Fortunately I realised straight away so pulled up and got a ride home on the back of a truck!

that racing puma sounds epic!! what turbo did you have in it??? dont see em that often with that kinda power. bet it wa a bitch to get traction though... was it a lsd model?

It was hard to get traction yes! Was a hybrid T25. Pumas as standard are good handling cars, racing pumas are in a different league.

Kewl mate. So whys the S3 goin??? making room for something quicker??? lol.

I wish....

Need to get a dirty diesel as I moved a bit farther out from work and commute in now. If only house prices in Cambridge weren't so ridiculous!

Good old bingley.lol. Yeh cambridge aint cheap... where abouts in bingley did ya live... god this threads all over the place..lol.

good hijack btw lol....na doesnt bother me...think this forum needs an open chatroom aswell at this rate:eek:)

lol. yeh sorry 1animal1. I deffo think you should get a remap though. Id hate it for some chav to pass me in a suuped up clio or the likes..... and as for the new r32....... i raced my uncle back from scarborough in his 8p a3 3.2 which is exactly the same as the mk4 / 5 r32 (250bhp) ...... and (girlfriend, aunt and uncle as my witness) kicked his ars!!!!!

Good old bingley.lol. Yeh cambridge aint cheap... where abouts in bingley did ya live... god this threads all over the place..lol.

Powell road, my old house is up for sale as we speak. Cambridge is just about the same as London in terms of cost.

lol. yeh sorry 1animal1. I deffo think you should get a remap though. Id hate it for some chav to pass me in a suuped up clio or the likes..... and as for the new r32....... i raced my uncle back from scarborough in his 8p a3 3.2 which is exactly the same as the mk4 / 5 r32 (250bhp) ...... and (girlfriend, aunt and uncle as my witness) kicked his ars!!!!!

I have always fancied a remap, but could never quite part with the £500 or so for someone to plug a laptop in and flash the eeprom!

That said, 99% of the performance is down to the driver. I saw off a 330ci at the lights this morning as he was trying to push in. That was with me driving a TDCI C-max people carrier thing......

There is no way a tdci C-max will see off a 330ci off the lights or anywhere else.
Either he wasnt trying or it was a 316 with a badge.

There is no way a tdci C-max will see off a 330ci off the lights or anywhere else.
Either he wasnt trying or it was a 316 with a badge.

Hmm, like I said.... 99% of the performance is down to the driver. He blatantly couldn't drive it properly!

no i think your talking **** also (no disrespect mate), you have to be a complete flid not to be able to beat a diesel cmax with a 330ci...the S3 doesnt touch these things as standard....

no i think your talking **** also (no disrespect mate), you have to be a complete flid not to be able to beat a diesel cmax with a 330ci...the S3 doesnt touch these things as standard....

Why do you think I was laughing so hard when I got into work?! :)

I dont need to big myself up and tell porkies, I'm far to old for that!

if your blasting the bypass let me know!! ;)

I think the cones are still on it, but I havent been there for a week or so as Im using the backroads to get home... will go check

will be meeting at JBS on sat mate if your interested.... although i dont know if the cones have gone yet..... werent they at the top end though after the second junction.... if so they shouldnt affect owt

My mate was left behind in his 2000 W 210 S3 by a Clio 182 on the motorway, mind you there was three of us in the S3 and the Clio driver was on his own but it did leave him fairly easily. I love the Clios and would consider if it was not for renaults reputation for reliability

hmmm...when i came up against a 172 in my 150brake A3, i took him...but this was uphill so dunno if the torque made much difference..... again, driver differences probably and nobody knows what mods have been done etc

This is silly, there is no way a clio would beat an S3. The losses on the S3 are not that big as its only 4WD when required. Ive demolished clios with no problems in the past.

1animal1 was therre something wrong with your car?

Kef.... i think you need to check a few of the comments mate...we are talking about thwe 172/182 and 197 clios...if your car can demolish these...id hate to see who was driving them...especially if yours is a standard S3....

cones were on the sheff end... will go home that way...

Gonna the game this weekend..... what you doin/what time you at JBS?

There is every way a Clio would beat an S3. Power to weight, FWD and AWD power loss. If I was putting my money on a drag between a bog standard 210 S3 and a Clio 182 my money would be on the Clio, if it was a track I would be doubling my money on the Clio.

Not sure on a 225 S3 no experiance to comment with, with a remapped S3 thats a different story all together.

There is hardly any difference between a 210 and a 225 S3.Not in the ones ive driven anyway.

In fairness id of said 80% of s3 drivers have mapped there cars so i doubt any clios will be gettin a look in..... even the 197's!!!!! twisty stuff, again depends on whos drivin. Past experience shows that clios are driven by females and unless its vicky butler henderson, i surgest the french plastic bit of **** move out of my way!!!!! lol

Oh and another thing, i had 4 people in my car on monday coming back from york dragracing racing my mate back in his type r and he couldnt keep up through corners...... i dont think there as **** as every 1 makes out on the twisties :)

You can tell your mate from me that he needs to sort out his driving!

Seriously mate, not only on the twisties but on a dual carrigeway i left him for dead!!! if i can beat a 197bhp honda civic type r (with 1 very capable driver behind the wheel) and me with 4 people in my car!!! what does that say about the 197 clio??? it just hit me that we were all on about the 197 clio when i realised the type r is the same power and handles better yet i managed to pull away???? does anybody wanna correct the statement 'clio 197s are faster' .....

Oh and y is it no 1 believes anything any 1 says??? i wouldnt ******** to look good. i can do that in my s3 any way ;) My mate 'ste hobson' that was in my car at the time will tell you straight!! hes had hours of track experience and drives an amd mapped rs4 so he nos when some 1s pushing a car, and when an s3 is beating an type r!!!! infact go on rs246, look for 'hobsons4' and drop him a message...

Status
Not open for further replies.