need urgent help! re: coolant

mattm

BLACK EDITION
Reaction score
so ive just changed my thermostat and it emptied its coolant due to me being a slow **** and not realising quick enough to put the new stat on lol

so now its emptied of coolant, can i put water back in or do i need to buy coolant??? never filled it up before

also there are loads of little black bits in the header tank, reason??

cheers folks!!!

Not had to fill one myself, but from memory you need G12 coolant (orange stuff).

The black pieces in you header tank may be particles broken off your water pump impellor...If they are plastic.

Have you have a cambelt / Waterpump service done since new?

I assume you were replacing the thermostat due to some running temp problems? Maybe the stat was ok and it was the broken impellor that was causing it.

Just an idea.

James

You need VAG only G12 coolant, but as above i would be concerned about the common water pump failure if the bits in the coolant are plastic.

cheers boys

filled with water now so will get some g12 in the week

scared about the black bits now, its had a cambelt done but not water pump... oh dear

Keep an eye on that temp gauge then mate. Just make sure you dont keep driving the car if its overheating due to a broken waterpump.

How many miles has the car done, i would defo say its worth having the waterpump changed to a metal one for piece of mind. Obviously while this is done it would make sense to change the cambelt again thus giving you another five years/60k worry free motoring.

Steve, its done 76,000. Ive just booked in at Awesome for belt, tensioner and water pump.

What effects on the engine will the little black bits of plastic cause???

They're only small, indicating its on its way out - temp is fine it never goes above 90.

You will need to get the coolant system flushed through to make sure none of the bits of the water pump impellor (if thats what they are) block the coolant paths. As long as the temp doesn't go much above 90 before you get the work done at Awesome you should be ok. Make sure you tell them about the bits of plastic you found to ensure they fully check this out. I would make sure they fit the metal impellor type water pump too mate.

I would make sure they fit the metal impellor type water pump too mate.

Personal choice on that one, having worked for VAG and seen a metal type get wobbel and kick a cambelt Id never have one on a car I owned! Their designed as plastic for a reason

Car does use the G12+ Coolant tho, G12 is not compatable with other coolants and forms gel if mixed (gets worse with age) but G12+ will mix but best to avoid if possible. G12+ is a funny pink colour, awesome will probably be using that for the change or something like a Quantam approved equililent.

Surely the wobble was down to the bearings not the type of impellor fitted mate? I would change the water pump every 4-5 years/60k which should thus negate the chance of the bearings wearing excessively thus causing wobbel.

Well yes and no. Fact was it was due to an aftermarket part (with a metal impellor) and the bearing wore and that kicked it out, causing the impellor to hit.

Had it been a pastic impellor, it would have broken off part of the outer edge, without affecting the belt workings (engineered falability)

While bearing wear shouldnt occur, it can obviously vary alot between units. Ive seen a few cars with metal impellors have issues, but thats just personal experience. The newer vw waterpumps are beter, the main problem used to be how they were mounted to the spindle, as you used to see the spindle turning and the impellor staying still, but this seems to have been resolved now.

I do know that alot of people on here run the metal ones for strenght, but Id rather replace a waterpump again within a few years than replace the top end of my engine. Its swings and roundabouts, there is no clear answer as to whats best I guess.

Always interesting to hear different opinions mate and why, i personally went for a metal impellor (the only ones Jabba fit) after doing a fair bit of research on the subject but i certainly understand your reasonings behind prefering the plastic impellors. As you say both have pros and cons so probably no definative answer, just personal choice.