Buying an A3 this weekend, help!

The Seer

Reaction score
Hello,

Posting on here for a friend who P.C. is down currently. Looking for an A3 1.8 T Sport. He's seen a few in the classifieds of Pistonheads etc. So we've decided to go out and view a few of em' asap.

I've looked at the buying guide on the forum. Just wondered if there's anything specific we ought to look out for viewing?

Also, how long can the 1.8 T unit last with circa 200 bhp? (sorry I know it's probably been asked a million times)

All comments appreciated.

Many thanks.:salute:

Hi mate,

I'm not an expert but I bought my 1.8t about a month ago with 124k on the clock.
I'd check the bottoms of the doors for rust, and also the roof gutters (where the black trim is)
Make sure the car warms up to temp properly, and sits bang on 90. Mine only warmed up to around 70 max, however changing the temp sensor (£20) has cured this. It seems to be a very common problem.
Other than that I don't think theres a right lot to worry about, as long as it's being serviced regularly, doesn't smoke, rattle, knock or bang then you'll be fine.
I paid £2300 for mine, it's an R reg sport.

Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks for the info Wilber, appreciated.:salute:

We're looking around the 3K mark, sounds like you got your's for a decent price, age miles etc.

Do these engines cope well with a mild tune around 200 bhp? Will they run on to 200 K with decent servicing, cared for ect. ?

Thanks.

No problem.

I did get a good price on mine, £3k is a good price point to be looking at, you should have a fair choice of cars. As far as I know the engines will handle 200bhp easy, anything more and I think it's the turbo which needs uprating to handle the extra power (from what i've read)
I'd personally say 200k is acheivable as long as it's kept serviced and looked after. You have to ask yourself how long your going to be keeping it, in my instance i'll probably have rid of it by 140k and get something else, not because it's worn out but because i'll be bored of it!

The 1.8T engine's are good...Check that the service book is up to date, and that the Cambelt has been done. Check the Oil - the coolant for black plastic (water pump) - and, of course, for rust all over really - AND STAY AWAY FROM AUTOMATICS!!!!

The 1.8T engine's are good...Check that the service book is up to date, and that the Cambelt has been done. Check the Oil - the coolant for black plastic (water pump) - and, of course, for rust all over really - AND STAY AWAY FROM AUTOMATICS!!!!

Thanks for the info, appreciated.

I doubt an auto is on the agenda.:puke:

We should be looking at one in the next 48 hours.