cambelt teath

jim s3

Reaction score
gutted i was driving home yesterday and the car lost all power, carried on driving as was about 30 seconds from home pulled up on my drive and it cut out. took the cam belt cover off as it did sound like the cam belt went and the belt is still there but on closer inspection there are about 15 teath missing, the belt was changed 30 thousand miles ago with the water pump. what to do now either get my head rebult as it is bound to have bent some valves or to buy a second hand head and put that on, open to suggestions on what to do...:uhm:

Hey Jim, sorry to hear that mate, have you taken the car to anyone, or has anyone looked at it to get an idea of what the extent of the damage is??

Why dont you try the Midland VW guys and see if they can help you out at all....

Nilz

yeah spoke to them they want a grand to fix it but im going to put a belt on and see what happens, lucky i still have my old car a bmw convertible which i was going to get out for the summer anyway so looks like it is coming out now....

oh man, thats a bit of a wounder (pronounced woon-der), let us know how it goes...

had a little mess with it today and found the belt has been rubbing on the plastic cover which has made about 20 teath come off and the 6 after that are loose also there is bit of the cover missing ie snapped off so check your plastic covers guys dont really want it happening to any one else..:sorry:

Jim, is there much else damage, or is it something you can do??

Unfortunately you will have bent some valves if the belt has slipped. By all means try a new belt, but don't button it all up before starting as I predict you will have to remove the head. Fingers crossed the pistons are not overly damaged.