engine differences between S3 and 1.8TQ

JamesA3

Reaction score
I thought the 180bhp 1.8TQ engine was a detuned version of the 210bhp S3 engine and the 225bhp S3 engine was the same as the TT

could someone clarify for me please

No, 210 S3 is basically the same as a s3 / TT 225...both chip up to the same although there are slight differences between the two.

The 180 engine is more like a Golf / A3 150 but with a slightly better turbo.

The 180 is NOT as strong (bottom end) as a 210 / 225...nowhere close, and hence you can't take the same liberties with it when tuning.

As I understand it the 1.8TQ has the same basic engine as the 1.8T with a KKK K03 turbocharger and single intercooler. Its ecu is mapped to give 180 bhp rather than 150.
The unit that they fit to the S3 & TT is didderent with a KKK K04 turbocharger, twin intercoolers, and stronger pistons and con rods (i'm sure there are some other small differences as well).

I dont believe that there is any difference between the 210 S3 and the 225 except the ecu programming?

can anyone add to this?

if the 1.8TQ isn't as strong is 215bhp within its limits or is it really starting to strain the engine?

also things like twin cats etc on the S3.

intake manifold round the other way on the non 210.225 engines due to only having one IC

after run pump is also fitted on the 210/225 lump to circulate coolant round the turbo jacket to help take heat away when engine is shut down

There are subtle diffenced im told with the way VVT works between the 210 and facelift 225 engines.

mine is solenoid driven electrically, im told the earlier 210's were oil pressure driven...

mahle pistons ,stronger rods,k04 turbo

Paul, just FYI, some of the 150/180 hp versions of the 1.8T had twin-cats as well, but since the S3 and 1.8TQ have different sized exhausts (S3 being larger) the part numbers are different, as the cats are larger /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif careful mate thats on topic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Think that Aurom is right. Although the general architecture of A3 and S3 engine is the same, some differences in camshaft, turbo size, intercooler and specially in ECU to provide 215/225 HP in S3. As 150/180 HP are basically the same with different programm to get 0,8 bar of turbo blow pressure (instead of 0,5 in 150), in S3 they must be applied the same procedure; new reprogramming and calibration of valves to increase blow pressure.
Essentially the same engine. That´s what you do when remapping....

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif careful mate thats on topic /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked2.gif Good point, I won't tell anyone if you won't /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

just been looking at the turbo upgrades on Jabba's website and they reckon my engine is good for 350bhp 300lb ft with no internal mods to the engine and with mods 550bhp can be achieved. Conrods need upgrading beyond 335lb ft so I think I have been worrying over nothing

[ QUOTE ]
James M said:
just been looking at the turbo upgrades on Jabba's website and they reckon my engine is good for 350bhp 300lb ft with no internal mods to the engine and with mods 550bhp can be achieved. Conrods need upgrading beyond 335lb ft so I think I have been worrying over nothing

[/ QUOTE ]

I think correctly translated thats putting a fighter jet engine into the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

180's have KO3 SPORT turbos ,which is a larger unit,or at least mine has one.As Drills says twin cats,although i looked at the shape of the front pipe/cats the other day and it looks very restrictive 1 into 2 and then back into 1 ?.Am having a 3" downpipe made up with a 200 cell cat,should improve flow.Cheers Andy.

AH, but the 180 versions, when tuned, get the same results as the 150 versions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

Here's some engine code info I found on www.briskoda.net:
[ QUOTE ]
AUM (Octavia 1.8T FWD):
150 hp
FWD
VVT, EU4
DBW
smaller injectors
hybrid K03/04 turbo

AUQ (Octavia RS, Leon Topsport)
180 hp
FWD
VVT, EU4
DBW
bigger injectors
hybrid K03/04 turbo

ARX (Octavia 4x4)
150 hp
Haldex
VVT, EU3
DBW
bigger injectors
hybrid K03/04 turbo

ARY (Leon 4)
180 hp
Haldex
non-VVT, EU3
DBW?
bigger injectors
hybrid K03/04 turbo

[/ QUOTE ]

And as the range of VAG engines is pretty much the same (Excluding the TT/S3 ones) then it appears that while the 180 DOES sport a K03S, it does NOT have VVT whereas the 150 (ARX) version has both /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

And for some more info on the 4 different versions of the 1.8T in the A3 you can look HERE /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif