low iol pressure s3

20vtmk3

Reaction score
Hi guys, just joined the forum, got a big problem that i hope someone can shed some light on. I bought a 2001 s3 about a year and a half ago it has now covered just over a 106k miles and had full dealer service. I took the car to my mates garage last week for a full service, got the engine oil, haldex oil, all filters and the plugs changed. It also had a wurth engine flush done and the car had never felt so smooth. I dint drive the car much for the rest of the week maybe 30 miles and everything was great but on tuesday the oil light came on on the the dash and it started bipping so i took it straight back to the garage about half a mile away. When i got there we checked the oil level it was fine, then he put the car on a machine and said i had low oil pressure, he fired it up again and you could hear a tappets noise so switched it off straight away. I got a lift home and went straight on here and found that some of you had had a similar problem and replaced the oil pump. The garage has done this today and replaced the oil pick up pipe but he phoned me earlier to say that everything sounded sweet but when he took the car for a drive the light on the dash and bipping has come on again. There is no funny noises coming from the engine it sounds sweet but the warning is still on so were stumped. I would think the sensor but its a big coincident that this would play up the same time as the oil pump. Any help would be great.

ok, not replied on here for a while, but sounds like you're having a mare..

Low oil pressure is going to be caused by a blockage somewhere. You've already said that you've past the magic 100k mark and that you've replaced the oil pump too.

However, an important part of replacing the oil pump on 1.8T's, is also removing the oil sump and cleaning out the gunge and shoite from the sump, strainer and baffles -just a flush isn't good enough as you're not addressing the root cause.

drop the sump and give it a full clean, flush, refill oil and filter and redo from start.

i agree with the above. saying that though my S3 had done 108k when I had the the oil pump and pick up pipe changed for piece of mind. The sump was very clean when they took it off and the pick up pipe was clear. The old pump looked in good condition too...

Thanks for your sugestions guys but still no luck, went back to the garage today the sump was spotless hed fitted a new pump and oil feed pipe we put a genuine audi oil filter in, some new oil again and put on a new oil pressure sensor. The warning light still came on once you took the engine to about 2000rpm. So we took off the sensor and tried a oil pressure guage, it only read about 1.5 bar at 2000rpm and according to the book we had it should of been showing between 3 + 4.5 bar. Thing is the car was spot on before the service and it sounds sweeter than ever....Any ideas?

Thanks for your sugestions guys but still no luck, went back to the garage today the sump was spotless hed fitted a new pump and oil feed pipe we put a genuine audi oil filter in, some new oil again and put on a new oil pressure sensor. The warning light still came on once you took the engine to about 2000rpm. So we took off the sensor and tried a oil pressure guage, it only read about 1.5 bar at 2000rpm and according to the book we had it should of been showing between 3 + 4.5 bar. Thing is the car was spot on before the service and it sounds sweeter than ever....Any ideas?

You have probably done it but you havent mentioned it, but have you had it on the diagnostics? VAG-COM is usually pretty good at identifying stuff like that.

Yes mate, The garage did put it on a machine but it wasnt vag com. It was some sort of bluetooth thing that he could check from the comfort of his office chair. Things did come up on it but only to inply that it had low pressure and not wat was causing it. would vag com tell me what is causing it or would it be just the same as the other one? Thanks

Sorry guys i though that i had allready posted to say the car was fine, but it seemes its gone. Anyway after draining the oil again, the garage gave it another flush and then used vw fully synthetic oil and a genuine oil filter and now its like new. Everyone tells me that the oil cant make that much diffrence and to be honest i dont care anymore what it was as long as its o.k.now. It was just lucky for me that i did go with the cheaper option of trying the oil first. Thanks for the replies guys Tony