Chris NottEM Tuning
    Reverse Gear

Status

Talking Strip out my A3??

Im 17 and ive got a 2000 1.8 SE. Im looking to get a bit more speed out of my car, but i can't really do much to the engine. So im considering fully stripping the interior and putting some cobra buckets in there. Just wondering what you guys think to this.

2. # ADS
    ADS

In two minds

Status
    A lot of the civic lads do this, I didnt get it then and I really dont get it with an Audi, its a bit 'extreme' for a road car assuming it is a road car, its your car though so if you want to do it go for it, the glue that sticks the carpet down is apparently a mare to remove, I think you would probably regret it
    Skint because of my car, the forums made me do it

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6

Status
    i think it would be a good idea, but you would have to strip absolutely everything to get it fast ish! But then what was the point buying a audi?!

Xbox online id - supaed133

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well that gives me something else to think about.
    Anybody know of anything performance parts for the non-turbo, without having to take my lump apart.

Cheers
    GOODBYE --- A3 1.8 se silver, 18" shoes, debadged, lowered on konis, angel eyes.

HELLO --- 2003 A3, yellow, 2.0fsi, full leather, sat nav, multichanger, parking sensors

Status
    nothing that will give you any more than 5bhp!

Reverse Gear

Status
    I went for the audi, cause you don't see many 17 yo with them, and they look soooooo sick. Think thats 2 good reasons :D
    GOODBYE --- A3 1.8 se silver, 18" shoes, debadged, lowered on konis, angel eyes.

HELLO --- 2003 A3, yellow, 2.0fsi, full leather, sat nav, multichanger, parking sensors

In two minds

Status
    If you are 17 and driving a 1.8 Audi you should probably just be happy with that and concentrate on building your no claims so that you can get insured on a quicker car in the future, dont make the same mistakes I did and waste money on a car that will not respond to mods. If you realy must mod it just look at making it handle better
    Skint because of my car, the forums made me do it

Status
    or buy a 1.8t lump and put it in!!

Swaying towards IHI....

Status
    My advice is dont do it. Whos going to buy a fully stripped out A3 1.8 N/A when you want to sell it?

I was in the same situation as you i was 17 wanted a decent car and thought to myself theres no point buying the non turbo as i'll only want the turbo sooner rather than later.

So i took the plunge and bought the 1.8T when i was 17 im now 19 and the 1.8T is still running strong also with around the 260 BHP mark when i pick it up from jabba.

My advice just keep it standard until you can afford a 1.8T or better still an S3.

I paid ridiculous insurance at 17 though 3k on the 1.8t im now 19 with 0 NCB fully comp in my own name its 1500 and due for renawl again in May.

HTH

J
    A3 1.8TS
    K03S,Pro Alloy FMIC, Neuspeed TIP, Forge 007P,Jabba Stage 2, BMC CDA, Turbo Back Miltek,H&R Cup Kit,H&R Arb's,18" Cup 3's Wrapped in Parada Spec 2's, Facelifted, 10k Hids, Dewipered, Debadged,S3 Interior, S3 Rear bumper, S4 Front bumper, Brembo's, Momo Team, LCR Splitter.

Reverse Gear

Status
    I was thinking about doing that, although theres a lot more to it than just swaping the lump. Id have to change the loom aswell, which im sure ull agree would end up being a lot of work. Ive done a few looms in work, and theyre not the nicest things to change.

Reverse Gear

Status
    Think im gonna be keeping the interior as it is. But i will be lowering it and getting an exhaust, after my 3 month ban is up! 5-0 scum

Status
    i had a 1.8se before my s3, was never going to be fast, id put more money into making it look nice, ie wheels, tints etc, thats if you do want to keep it for a while, if not then wait till your insurance comes down!

5th Gear

Status
    Keep the interior in it bud! Weight reduction in an Audi is pointless as all the weight is in the metal!
    Keep on driving it until you can insure something a bit quicker, wouldnt bother swapping the engine.. think of re-sale values
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

VAG HUNTER

Status
    i also had a 1.8se and like ed tints and wheels that all that needs to be done,the a3s are built like tanks so speed from a n/a 1.8 ust isnt goin to happen,wheels and tints and save up for an s3 that what i di mind you im 21 now .
    A4 TDI S-LINE

Neutral

Status
    i think with a remap it will take it from 125bhp to 136 ish bhp... Upsolute (CCC tech) and places like Revo and Custom Code would probably do it for a reasonable price. For the 300 you'd spend on an exhaust to get 5bhp if that, why not get a map...

Brum brum

Status
    I did it with my track car and it made a big difference - cut 1.4 seconds off the 0-60 time and 0.8s off the 1/4 mile.

Then again, it is a track or going to the tip car, not my daily driver. I've got the S3. Here's some inspiration for you:

Jason
    2001 Nogaro S3 (daily driver)

1958 replica Porsche 356 Speedster (summer posing)
    1997 Seat Cordoba SX 16v (track day toy) replacing (t)rusty 1994 Seat Ibiza GTi RIP

A3 - 1.8Ts

Status
    An Audi 1.8 at 17.....The mind boggles!

5th Gear

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by Clach View Post
    An Audi 1.8 at 17.....The mind boggles!
    It's the 3 month ban at 17 that amazes me. What did you do????

Cheers,
    Alistair

"Why don't you listen to something really classical, like Mozart, Mendelssohn or Motorhead?"
    Arnold Rimmer, 1988

Commuting & Weekend Fun:
    Yamaha YZF-1000R Thunder Ace in Blue/Black

Practical Alternative (Still fun though!!):
    S3 2002/51 AMK Silver, Symphony II + Bose + xCarLink + AndyMac Stealth Sub, Metallic Mirrors, Heated Black Leather, Cruise control.

3rd Gear

Status
    i wouldnt waste my time to be honest, shy waste money buying an audi, and then strip it completely out, everything will rattle, it will drive you mad, and why try making a 1.8 go faster, you may as well just buy something lightweight, as audi's are well built and they are quite a heavy car, hence the reason they are well built

Reverse Gear

Status
    Well ive decided im keeping the interior in. Ive got the alloys on it now, so probably just gonna lower it, and get some tints.

About a month after i passed my test i got caught doing 56 in a 30 limit, and the next week, i wrote my car off. Didnt look very good, so they decided to ban me.

Ive learnt my lesson though, so 1 good thing came out of it. (plus i got my a3, so i guess thats 2 good things!)