Newbie needs help engine problem 2000 S3

rhubarb4

Certified Audi nutter
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
:sob:hello, I bought an S3 friday and over the weekend the car has felt fine. Driving home tonight started to accelerate and the car started to shudder under acceleration, it seemed to go but then it was like i kept taking my foot off the pedal, like it was missing bits of acceleration. This is like it in every gear, also i have an oil patch on the drive but cant see where it comes from.

Any help will be very appreciated as im feeling a bit down as iv only had it 4 days and somethings going wrong.

Thanks Chris

I didn't think bad coil packs spilled oil?

hello thanks for your responses. what is a coil pack and where would i look for it on here. Are they expensive/hard to change and are the accessable, or is it dealer only, Sorry if this has been asked before just being new to this its quite confusing, also not sure where oil leak is going to look tomorrow in light

what is a coil pack and where would i look for it on here. Are they expensive/hard to change and are the accessable, or is it dealer only

I think we need a little more to go on. Where did you buy it? . Have you a warranty?. How many miles? Service history?

Hi i bought it from a dealer garage prospect solihull. its got 70000 miles 2000 w reg and has had cambelt done at 54000. the service book is a duplicate one but has the last three services in. The dealer gave me 3 months warrenty on it, and i bought it friday. it was only today when the problems occured it seemed fine the weekend

A local then, I'm in Redditch.

If its got warranty don't even get stressed just go back and tell the guy its not right. If it is a coil pack it won't take them long to sort that!!

I agree with dave take the car back to the dealer and just let him know its not right and that you would like him to sort it. Dont worry about it too much i had my S3 1 day and i hit a fox @ 80 mph and destroyed the front underside cos me 600 quid !!! lol. Coil packs are a common fault on VAG 1.8T engines i wouldnt worry too much just make sure he gets original parts from Audi as the quality of others can vary. As for the oil leak just ask him to have a look while he is sorting out the other problem. Best of luck mate and im sure you will be enjoying your new car very very soon

best of luck
j

hi thanks for the help il go there tomorrow and tell him just want to get it sorted get it running sweet again its an amazing car

See the link for more info on Coilpacks and how to change and access them. They cost £21 from vagparts.co.uk. They are 'push-fit' so you just have to unclip the old ones and pull them out. Then push the new ones in. There are four, two are easy to get to the other two are hidden under the N249 - the photos in the link should help: http://www.wak-tt.com/225sparkplugs/225sparkplugs.htm

It is also difficult to determine which one has gone, so you either change thm under process of elimination or plug your car into VAG.COM (software for scanning your engine and components for errors) to find which one has died.

On the oil, are you sure it is oil and not condensation from the Aircon. If oil, where abouts under the car? If near the back centre this could be the haldex oil, if near a wheel this could be the CV joint oil or if under the engine from the oil filter?

Rhubarb, where are you from if you brought the car from Solihull??

It wasnt the silver one that you got was it??

Oh and take it back, if you got a warranty, use it, they should be able to sort it, as its a common fault, just go in and tell them that, as you never know they may try and fob you off....(just in case obviously)