Hi and question from newbie

daver555

Reaction score
Just joined and I have a question for you all.

I currently drive a 2001 Frod Focus 2.0 Zetec ESP with very low mileage at 46k. I am happy with the car but I've allways hankered after a bit more oomph. I have the opportunity of doing a deal on a 1999 Audi A3 1.8 T Sport Quattro with 74k, 19" 9 spoke RS alloys, lowered but everything else is standard. Prior to the Ford I had performance Renualt's, a 1990 5 GT Turbo, and a 1995 Clio 1.8 16V. I've allways wanted an Impreza Turbo but have been put off by the running costs and the ever increasing chav status that they are attaining. Now, bearing in mind that I'm (cough) 34 (cough) I'm after something relatively quick, I love the thought of 4WD and something understated and the A3 I'm looking at ticks all the boxes. The problem I have is that its older, has more mileage and isn't as "new age" looking as the Focus (wife talking although I see where she's coming from). I've also heard that Audi's are slightly wooden feeling and not a drivers car (apart from the top range models S's and RS's I assume).

I know your all slightly biased towards Audi's but I'm after an honest answer from a few of you guys. Is this a sensible thing to do and is the Audi going to feel significantly quicker than the Focus bearing in mind that the Focus is 130ish bhp and I would imagine a bit lighter than the A3.

Hope you guys can help me make up my mind :thumbsup:

I'm 37 and climbing the wall waiting for my 2001Y S3. Same as you, I always wanting a Scooby, but definitely a chav toy now. The Evo still has a bit of exclusivity, but is butt ugly.

After my first test drive in an S3, I was hooked. Refinement, comfort and a reasonable amount of poke. Sc**w gov.uk with their 'environmental' taxation. Fun comes first, even at a price...

Unless the tax is an issue, go for the S3. Difference in insurance for a >30yo, and fuel costs will be minimal, and the equipment level is much better...

Cheers,

hi dave, iv got an s3 and absolutely loving it. my bro has an a4 1.8t quattro (180bhp) and that pulls really nicely too. in an a3 id assume it would be abit more fun but nice cars. go for it. i think it offers the best all round option

alijames, cheers for the prompt response dude. The A3 is a specific car and my only option as its either going to be a VERY good deal or a straight swap for my Focus! Basically its this A3 or I stick with my Focus.

A turbo is going to make a car feel quicker than an NA engine due to the torque, I have had Civics that are quicker than my 180BHP A4 but the A4 still feels quicker on the road, I dont think I will have a none turbo charged motor again.

Can't post pics just yet but the A3 I'm talking about looks identical to bouncer--daz's car

helllo, i must admit although i am only 19. i have drove a fair amount of cars , freinds and family and i must admit my little 2001 A3 1.6 drives like a dream i love it although i love the power of my freinds 160Bhp Civic, i still prefer the smoooth and comfortable ride of my a3, and would love the power of a 1.8T so you cant lose with the a3 lol

ben :blackrs4:

Thanks for all your responses so far. Any owners of an A3 1.8 T Sport Quattro care to give their 2pence worth???

put it this way, i test drove a focus ST in january before i bought my S3, moving from an A3 that i had for 6 years....... focus ST feels a bit more throw back in the seat.... the type im expecting when i have this car remapped...... the quality difference between this and the Ford is incomparable..... take one out...you'l see the differnece straight away..... in terms of what you have with the 130bhp, the A3 1.8T 150bhp will just about pull away...up hill, it will slaughter your 130bhp due to the torque from the turbo

put it this way, i test drove a focus ST in january before i bought my S3, moving from an A3 that i had for 6 years....... focus ST feels a bit more throw back in the seat.... the type im expecting when i have this car remapped...... the quality difference between this and the Ford is incomparable..... take one out...you'l see the differnece straight away..... in terms of what you have with the 130bhp, the A3 1.8T 150bhp will just about pull away...up hill, it will slaughter your 130bhp due to the torque from the turbo

I thought the A3 1.8TSQ was 180bhp:confused::confused::confused:

the two wheel drive T-sport is 150bhp with the KO3 turbo.... the T-sport Quattro is 180bhp with the KO3s turbo. Mine was a 150bhp, just giving the fella an indicator of my experiance in this

Just got confirmation and its an A3 1.8 T Sport Quattro with a K03s Turbo so it's 180bhp. It's currently having the wheels refurbed so waiting for those and a few other things to be done to it before I go and see it in the metal and take it out for a spin.

I would go for it mate, the Audi is an overall better can than the Focus, and you will be pleased with the 4wd, the speed and internals, theres not much more to say on it, i hope it all goes ok..