big tubo s3 fully uprated or rs4? which to go for?

dunk

Reaction score
i am thinking about a big turbo conversion for my s3, along with big brakes and 18"wheels

my s3 currently has gmbh springs, koni dampers, neuspeed anti-roll bars, 1.5 deg neg campber, toe out etc along with navi plus and phatnoise audi mp3 player.

do i spend £8k on brakes, wheels and big turbo or spend £20k swapping for an rs4?
which will be more fun to drive on the a and b roads ?

Do you have any desire to move a wardrobe at 170MPH?
If not, you may want to stick to the S3.

The RS4 will always look more special.

The RS4 will always be more suited to A roads and very high speeds...
RS4 will be worth more, to more people, when you come to sell.

But the S3 will always be better on the B roads, it will always be more nimble...and will be more stealthy.

I'd have to say a standard RS4 is more likely to be more reliable than a highly strung S3...but could you keep the RS4 standard?

Horses for courses I suppose...

Personally, although I like the RS4...I don't have the room or desire to own a barge (albeit a very desirable and fast barge) that size, so I'd be seriously tempted by the mental S3 option.

i am really tempted by the s3 big turbo, i know i will never get the money back, but the £7k conversion costs for 4 or 5 years fun is still cheaper than the cost of upgrading to an rs4.

i've no idea how it will handle though? according to amd they would get about 350lb ft although other posts seem to suggest their rollers are a little generous with readings.

at least its less likely to get nicked and will probably surprise a few people!

with 350lb ft thats going to be one fast car!

rs4 if it was me,even though i love my s3.

This seems a strange question to me due, to the large diference in money between the two......After owning an A4 for a year now I'd have to say S3!

A4's are really nice for long journeys etc but you're not invovled with the driving at all.

I agree with excursion - i would rather have a RS4, but we are not talking a straight swap here - 8k (or less) vs 20k - big difference.

If you are sure you would be able to keep the modded S3 for at least two years after, the big turbo would be interesting.

Dont forget Jabba, cheaper than AMD but reputation is just as good

I dont know of anyone running the AMD or Jabba big turbos on S3s/TTs actually so havent ever read any reports about how good it is or isn't.

Dunc

Dunk, I too have been trying to talk myself into 'going all the way' but have found the £3500 - £4000 askin price hard to swallow. I have already spent around £4000 on the car and don't really want to mack it any dearer. But.... There is always that BUT!

I would like a go in one to see if it realy is worth all that poppy.

Ess Three, I bet Barry loves you!

Totally different vehicles.

The RS4 would be far nicer as an everyday driver and long distance cruiser.

But the S3 is a way better drivers car which will thrill you with much more tactile pleasure (yes, I do know its and Audi but it does give a LOT more feedback than the RS4).

Depends what you're after and if you know that, then should be an easy decision.

Cheers

[ QUOTE ]
ScotSTHREE said:

Ess Three, I bet Barry loves you!

[/ QUOTE ]

Barry and I get on famously...
I sit and call his fleet of fast but lardy barges exactly that...
He laughs...then steams past at the wrong side of 170MPH giving me the bird.
It's a perfect arrangement!

My friend is sellling a Nogaro RS4 LHD for under £28k i think, and he might consider a PZ if you're interested. Lert me know and i will send details. Dont suppose your S3 is in nogaro is it as i'nm desperately after one!

My friend is sellling a Nogaro RS4 LHD for under £28k i think, and he might consider a PX if you're interested. Lert me know and i will send details. Dont suppose your S3 is in nogaro is it as i'nm desperately after one!

i increased the rear anti-roll bar to the 4motion 16mm one before i did anything - this gave some improvement with the understeer.

then i put the konis on with gmbh springs - about 20mm lower than standard. the drive was firmer and felt better in control with slightly less roll. the neg camber and toe out made a HUGE difference though - changed the fuzzy and dead steering feel to pin sharp - lots of feedback but its not now a motorway 'brain in neutral' type of car - not that its in anyway unstable.

then i did the neuspeed anti roll bars because i wasnt satisfied - 22mm front and 19mm rear with stiffer bushes - what an improvement.... completely different car, it doesnt roll, no understeer unless i am really silly in the damp, much more direct steering (scarily direct compared to before) but it makes me laugh every time i go for a drive - much more of that go-cart feel to it.

frankly the dampers / springs made the car look better but the roll bars made the car go better, but i suppose the bars work better with the uprated dampers and springs.

there was a very slight increase in bump noise with the uprated bars - this is probably the stiffer bushes but nowhere near as bad as it was with my previous volvo T5 after suspension upgrade...