Acceptable???

ash_s3

Reaction score
Just got my S3 back from the body shop after having the normal roof gutter bubbling sorted out under warranty.

Im not too chuffed with the state in came back in, am i being a fussy ******?

Il let the pics do the talking...

Gaps in the sealant - looks shoddy work..

CIMG0001.JPG

CIMG0002.JPG

Over-spray...

CIMG0003.JPG

CIMG0004.JPG

CIMG0005.JPG

Sand from sandblasting...

CIMG0006.JPG

CIMG0007.JPG

CIMG0008.JPG

Dont get me wrong, the paint work is perfect, the colour match is spot on and you cant see any joins, it just the prep work seems **** poor, main dealer bodyshop can mask up a car properly! The gaps in the sealant look terrible, and the sand in the engine bay again is just poor. Things like this should be checked before the customer comes back to pick up the car.
:sadlike:

Done by Inchcape Volkswagen, Shrewsbury (main dealer)

take it back, atleast to show them what state it was in!!! :banghead:

When they are doing under warranty they konw your not paying for it so cant be ***** - my uncle had it with his t5 vw transporter- really **** paint job etc. Atleast your paint job is ok.

thats just not on... take it back!

I'd take it back, but try not to get too ****** off. After all, you still want them to finish it off for you and a level head always gets you further.

Just to add, when you come to sell your car and the potential buyer sees that work, what would you do? You would walk away or knock them down a fair chunk, why should you lose out on cash because of someone elses shoddy work?

Thanks all, just confirmed my initial thoughts.

Chris- Yeah i wont go back all ranting and raving as my car is in their hands at the end of the day!

Will be seeing the service manager at Audi tomorrow to discuss the work.

Cheers
Ash

Looks pretty naff to me mate, lots of overspray due to bad masking up!! I'd definately take it back!!

maybe they took it for a jolly to the beach Ash :eyebrows:

awful, mine was spot on, they shouldn't be using sealant in the roof rails, there is a seal on them already, they are meant to be removed easily...

apparently thats what they use now to stop it happening again.. :think:

i can see where your coming from but if you have a good paint match, then i wouldnt be to bothered. I doubt anyone who would consider buying your car would pickup on them bits. Some you could sort yourself at no cost.

They did a pukka job on my S3 thankfully, maybe I should have a closer look in the same areas, I would take it back and have a moan anyhow, as it's an Audi, and they had a reputation to uphold in my opinion.

TBH I'm suprised you even took it in that state. I spent about 20 minutes looking over mine for problems, spotted some overspray & trim not put back properly, they took it back in for 30 mins and then it passed my test.

When my car has been in for dealer work, before they take your keys, they walk round the car doing an inspection. Before I go and pay, I make them come out to the car with me and do a walk around - i.e. is the car the same as when I dropped it off. If they are going to do it to me, I'm sure as hell going to do it to them.

Hope you get it sorted. At least something like overspray is quite black or white. A kerbed wheel is more difficult 'you must have done it on your way home, sir'

Hope you get it sorted. At least something like overspray is quite black or white. A kerbed wheel is more difficult 'you must have done it on your way home, sir'

Had this happen to me, picked the car up in wet conditions, parked it straight into my garage when I got home, then drove it out 3 weeks later and found a kerbed alloy, by which time, I couldn't have blamed anyone.

Had this happen to me, picked the car up in wet conditions, parked it straight into my garage when I got home, then drove it out 3 weeks later and found a kerbed alloy, by which time, I couldn't have blamed anyone.

maybe your mrs took the car out when she was on the herbal fags, and forgot to tell you :keule::ninja:

Thats rubbish mate i had the same thing done last month i where did you have the work done

just got back from them now, audi have agreed the work is totally unacceptable and it we be re-done next week!

The black rubber stuff isnt a silicone type sealer, its the actual rubber seal for the gutter trims. But the warranty guy at audi said there is a specific gel that sits in the gutter to prevent any rust coming back in the future.

Ash, thank god they're sorting it, that is totally unacceptable.

Im taking mine to Oxford Audi Tomorow as i have sone sus pect bits by the side trims nearest the rear wheel arch.

This has concerned me deeply now:notme:

D

It's good that they're sorting it out, but that's pretty shocking.

Dave - if it's any consulation i had a closer look at mine last weekend and the paint is bubbling for quite a distance along the roof - I'm going to be popping into Audi on Monday, I see arguments ahead.

I also found some laquer peeling by the rear sill trim but i dont think thats covered as its paint and not corrosion :crying:

Watch out they might charge you for the sand,It is audi!!!!
you could always make a sand-castle and take a photo and send it back to them.
See you monday mate. :racer:

Take it back strainght away, Ideally you should make the complaint there and then...Good luck