why are s3 backboxs so big?!

edward_harris

s3 gone now a shiney red evo 6
Reaction score
the standard s3 backbox is huge, and the milltec is the same size, why are they so big? Also has any one tried just using a can on the back like a jap car say? + All my mates who have jap cars after killing them for a bit get flames out the exhaust, and chance with the milltec or is there just to many baffles?

Why would you want flames to come out of the back of your car Ed?

not really that bothered about flames, just wondering why mine doesnt do it when other people running the same power to me get it in other cars?! And why is that back box so big?!

You need a straight through exhaust to pop flames, no cat and hardly any baffles at all
will sound ****

Nope fortunately not, heard lots of saxos like it though..

If your after a fairly loud system with a small backbox then go for the Supersprint Race system, the rear box is tiny.

http://www.supersprint.com/homeuk.htm

But as said if you want it to pop flames you would have to go decat too. You would also probably have to make sure your car is running quite rich on overrun

Larger back box = more baffles for lesser sound, at a guess.

Only thing I can think of is something to do with back pressure

Usually thier overfueld and timed slightly out, so your burning unburnt fuel in the exhaust with a lickback from the combustion chamber etc

And Im sure theres a reason why its that size, will be for decebel readings and backpressure (and a properly sized system will also help with torque)

Im dubious about decats still, specially with all the noise regs being bought into force at tracks around the uk!

why do the a3 only have small back boxes tho? they are still quite! Yea got a jabba bullet cat, no middle box

If your after a fairly loud system with a small backbox then go for the Supersprint Race system, the rear box is tiny.

http://www.supersprint.com/homeuk.htm

But as said if you want it to pop flames you would have to go decat too. You would also probably have to make sure your car is running quite rich on overrun

that looks really cheap and nasty that stuff hope no one has ever brought it and put it on an s3

Nothing wrong with supersprint, in fact I think the supersprint alternative to the milltek system on my a4 is more expensive

BTW, supersprint race systems are designed for track and there is no cat, mani usually connects straight to the b pipe

BTW, supersprint race systems are designed for track and there is no cat, mani usually connects straight to the b pipe

My mate actually had one of the race systems on his old S3 and it was from the Cat back. So perfectly suitable for the road, the biggest difference between there road and race systems is the pipe bore (63mm for the road and 70mm for the race systems iirc).

i had a s3 with a straight through exhaust, from the downpipe back , and it sounded absolutely *****, far to loud, and yes it did spit flames

A3 boxes aren't that small either. Removed one the other day.

The Audi systems have two silencers, so they make the rear one large as apposed to earlier cars for example. Some BMWs have only one box.

that looks really cheap and nasty that stuff hope no one has ever brought it and put it on an s3

As posted by several people above, Supersprint are WAY better than most other S3 exhaust manufacturers.

In fact, only really blueflame sell similar quality systems.

why do most people go for milltec over supersprint? Also on my mates m3 we cut open his back box and pulled out loads of the baffles! You think it would work on the milltec not that im thinking of doing it!

i've just got a milltek resonated exhaust fitted to my car yesterday and its alot bigger than the standard one and the centre pipe was bigger too......it sounds very nice cause its not too loud its only slightly deeper but nice.;)

my back box is small as the miltek was so heavy.

26012007647.jpg

Image018.jpg

hahahah

just had a listen, and IMO it#s maybe a bit too loud!

Sounds really loud! Sounds good, but doesnt really match the 1.8 inside the car!

why do most people go for milltec over supersprint?

Probably down to marketing mate, Milltek spend alot of money on advertising on VAG forums and publications, Supersprint dont seem to bother with much advertising they can sell pretty much as many exhausts as they can make purely through word of mouth and on the back of there reputation. Supersprint are also an Italian based company where as Miltek are British so you may well find a different story if polled Italian Audi owners.

I had a supersprint on my old s3 and that spat flames...loud as f**k though!

what would be the best option for best power gains but without the exhaust being much louder? any ideas? or is it pretty much impossible to upgrade the exhaust without it becoming louder? is decat worth doing?

what would be the best option for best power gains but without the exhaust being much louder?

From my experience, you aren't going to get much of a power gain - if any - from ANY exhaust.
Especially if the car is still on a standard turbo.

It can be as loud as you like...but if the standard exhaust isn't restrictive (it's not) then you won't get a gain.

I never got anything worthwhile from my Milltek exhaust & Cats (1-2 BHP and maybe a couple more lb-ft when the boost was cranked up...but that's on a good day) - dyno proven.

any ideas? or is it pretty much impossible to upgrade the exhaust without it becoming louder?

If you want to upgrade to get more power...it's a waste of money.

If you want to upgrade to get a better sound...then obviously you'll get more noise. Both the Supersprint and Milltek sound good, and don't drone.

is decat worth doing?

Not if you are looking for power gains.
The standard Cats aren't restrictive at around 270 BHP or less.
Perhaps above that, you may see a bit more...but I have my doubts.

My mate actually had one of the race systems on his old S3 and it was from the Cat back. So perfectly suitable for the road, the biggest difference between there road and race systems is the pipe bore (63mm for the road and 70mm for the race systems iirc).

Ah ok, I am thinking of my Civic and the race system inc the decat