EM TuningAH Fabrications

Thread: VAG Results

5th Gear

Status

VAG Results

here we go (couple of replies from people already - many thanx to them!) thought others may like to see what came up, as I'm new to it, other beginners might also find it helpful. hopefully a few screen grabs follow beneath [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status

Re: VAG Results

ok - so the pics are small on here - right click them, then properties and copy the address, paste it into a new browser window and u can read it all better - or u cud save them and open in an application - how can i add more pics?

5th Gear

Status

another - hopefully last one

2nd Gear

Status

throttle control - I had that fault code had to replace the whole throttle body and stepper motor. Not the cheapest thing to do.

5th Gear

Status

Recomdos,

Ok the codes taken from the central locking can be forgotten about, there not really important unless you are having problems with the key, and if serious enough will show up again later after you've cleared them.

On the Engine ECU codes, both of these are related to initial setting of the ECU in my mind, so I would disconnect the battery for a short period (a few minutes), then switch on ignition and wait 30 seconds and then start the car and leave the car to idle for a couple of minutes. During the intial switch on and idle do not touch the throttle pedal. By the way the second code refers to incorrect idle adjustment.

On the ABS side of things, the first code is obvious, so you will need to take a look at the speed sensor down at the wheel, which is fixed to the back plate of the brake/hub, follow the wiring. Clean the end of it (They really get caked up) and make sure the electrical connector is good. The other fault is a communication fault on the data bus, and may well be just a loose or dirty connection, but I would focus on the sensor and then clear the faults and see how it goes.

Not going to be able to assist for the next week or so, as I'll be freezing my nuts off in Iceland [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img] so hope you get it sorted.

5th Gear

Status

fanx guys - i will have a bash at it all myself - is there anythin major that i can break? I'm not gonna touch the throttle thingy - stuart - how much did that cost if u don't mind me asking (sounds scary, what will happen if i ignore it?) i don't want this hassle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

gambba, with regards to disconectinmg the battery (no probs there) leave 4 a few mins, then put on ignition - u mean the first click (to where it does the self check?) THEN wait 30 secs, then click to start the engine? and then leave for a few mins without touching anything.

should i wipe all these faults prior to disconecting the battery? (I'd imagine so) with the idle thingy - wot can i do there? I didn't imagine all these results, but then I imagine it could be a lot worse? (well I'll see when stuart replies with a price on the throttle control) would any of these affect fuel consumption?

fanx again guys - good stuff! have fun in Iceland Gambba, will keep you posted with my results (assuming I can get it to all work fine and dandy) heh cheers

2nd Gear

Status

Right, lets see what i can do.

Basically, i had 2 fault codes come up on mine.

Idle speed and throttle control (stepper motor)

Unfortunately, you cannot purchase the stepper motor seperate so its a whole new throttle body. I got mine from VAG parts and cost about 200 quid including a new gasket for fitting. Obviously once this is on it needs to be set up properly. Before going and buying one, id confirm that fault code and make sure that it definately is the stepper motor. The problem we had was we were not getting full throttle, and therefore not full boost. PTS in Luton got the fault code and then fitted the new parts for me, car runs like a dream now.

As for fuel consumption, i didnt notice any change. Good luck mate.

Stuart

5th Gear

Status

Right - ok, well yeah I'll double check the code. I don't even know what the throttle body is! heh, and where to take it if I need to buy the parts :S but I'll keep you posted - fanx for the pricing (and yes - you're right it is expensive - yikes [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] )

2nd Gear

Status

hmm, just a thought, do you have a throttle cable in your engine bay or is it fly by wire?

2nd Gear

Status

this is the throttle body :

5th Gear

Status

mine is a 98 - R reg, so I'm believe it's not the fly by wire model - lol and there is no way I'm [censored] with that thing there! heh