BEST TYRE SIZE??

s3 al

Reaction score
Putting sum new rubber on my newly powder coated standard avus wheels and need to know what the best size of tyre to put on them, ie - 215 or 225's? Cheers.

225 45 17 are standard fit , why change it unless you want a stretched look

Rob

the rims are 225 you cant change the width of the tyre surely ?, only the profile size

Yeah am sure u can put 215s on them mate, not that iam going to tho. Thanks, just wanted to check the correct size as i didnt get tyres on them when i bought them.

rims are 71/2 inchs wide you could put 215 tires on but 215 x45 x17 would have a lower rolling radus than 225 45 17 so may be 215 50 17 would be ok

Rob

Go for the 225/45/17, thats what they come with....

Also have you got any pics of your wheels and what colour is yuor car, as im thinking of doing this soon....(the alloys i mean, not changing the tyres..lol)

A friend of mine has 215 width tyres on his avus wheels. He says it gives more feel and he seems to prefer them.

They will give more feel, but less grip...

Swings and roundabouts

also, bear in mind that low profile tyres on the 17's may look good on a mk3 golf or something, but the 17's are already fairly small on the S3, so fitting lower profile tyres may just make it look stupid.

also, bear in mind that low profile tyres on the 17's may look good on a mk3 golf or something, but the 17's are already fairly small on the S3, so fitting lower profile tyres may just make it look stupid.

Exactly what i thot, 225's are orderd cant wait to get them on. Car seems to sit pretty high just now with the shity 18's on it, so hopefully it'l sit a lot better too...

s3 al, have you got a pic of the alloys please???

s3 al, have you got a pic of the alloys please???

Yeah mate, pics off my phone tho.

11878_200_150b.jpg

11874_200_150b.jpg

Im pretty happy with them.

Also worth bearing mind is that if you fit 215's your insurance company might have an issue with this if you have to claim. 215's will obviously offer less grip than the 225's so they could argue that they were a contributing factor in any claim you might make. Obviously you could just let them know that you have fitted different spec tyres to standard (made a modification). I would deffinately stick with the 225's on an S3 mate.