Monster MotorsportEM Tuning
    A3 - 1.8Ts

Status

Is this bad or good luck!!!

Popped into a supermarket today, and when I came back out my licence plate is off and an old guy is standing writing his insurance details on some paper and about to place it on my car.

I looked down to see some large and small scratch marks all over the front (mostly passenger side bumper) ..Now I was going to get the bumper resprayed anyway, but will the bodyshop respray the whole bumper now or not....

(I would say that the some scratches are between 1 to 60 cms in length, some could be buffed out but 4 or 5 have defo taken off the paint with a small dent also)

The old guy was great for staying and admitted that it was his fault, but what a fiasco just to make a claim through my insurance!!! A thousand questions....

Any thoughts...

2. # ADS
    ADS

5th Gear

Status
    More than likely they will respray the whole lot. Though with further investigation you may get a new bumper and crash barrier that sits behind. If there has been impact enough to dent it then you should.

I guess it's not really good luck, but a scenario that has worked to your advantage (kind of). Furthermore well done that old man! It's rare people will hang around for such honesty these days.

I would claim off their insurance and not pay the excess on yours. As it is possible to claim on your insurance, paying the excess and then you may have to wait a long time to get the excess back. If it all goes straight through it should be repaired in no time. Ensure you force for Audi or one of their approved bodyshops (which will be the case anyway) to carry out the work, and that job should have a 3 year warranty.

Hope that helps.

rob

A3 - 1.8Ts

Status
    Cheers, even the Insurance company were amazed he stuck around...They have referred me to a company called Auto techniques in Bray (near maidenhead). They warranty the work for 5 years apparently.

5th Gear

Status
    Why not just ask the old guy to pay for it? He may not want to lose his NCB?
    Just a thought..
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

Status
    Quote Originally Posted by ash_s3
    Why not just ask the old guy to pay for it? He may not want to lose his NCB?
    Just a thought..
    I agree thats a good shout
    my mate had an xr3i back in the day and was ran into by someone and was in the process of waiting for it to be repaired and he was pranged again,he claimed again and got it

VAG HUNTER

Status
    that is lucky,at my work we have quite a small car park for roughly 15 cars,my car got hit by someone and it knocked the front bumper which is now slighly offset,and no one owned up to it,and these 15 spaces are all used by people who i have been working with for over 5yrs.im pretty sure it is the old woman upstairs who keeps givin me a false smile as if she's guilty.lol
    A4 TDI S-LINE

A3 - 1.8Ts

Status
    Never thought of that...TBH the old guy was a wee bit nervous, just polished the car and when he saw my face drop walking back to the car he must have though the worst, especially wi me Dundee accent..lol

Hey, he stuck around and that is good enough for me. If I asked him for cash chances are his son etc may have got wind of it, think to himself it may be a set up and before I know it he blames me for the accident....Karma and all that.

Status
    you can but ask,it isn't thousands is it?

5th Gear

Status
    Your bumper respray will probably cost about 250- 300 from an audi approved body centre. His insurance could go up by that much after a claim, and hes bound to have an excess he will have to pay

Worth asking, its helping the old guy out if anything, it makes no difference to you
    2001 Audi S3 l MTM Remap l 252.7bhp 432.4Nm l Forge 007P l ECS Porsche Stage 2v2 Front Brake Set-up l ECS Stage 1 Rear Brake Set-up l 18" RS4 Alloy Wheels

A3 - 1.8Ts

Status
    Then the rental car on top of that..etc. etc...For me, it is about getting the job done with the least amount of hassle. I am just glad he stuck around. If he was younger it would maybe be worth asking but he is dirt old and it just does not feel right asking him to part with 300. IMO he should not be driving anyway...