New A3 Owner - Some Questions

yoda

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got a 2004 A3 2.0TDi Sport and I have a few questions.

1. I missed the cut off date for the interior light pack (map lights, footwell lights ect) can all or some of these be retro fitted ?

2. I had a Golf before the A3 and it had a 12V power socket in the boot, again can this be easily be put in?

Part numbers would be great and an idea of cost as well.

Cheers

Scott
PS Great Site :)

[ QUOTE ]
yoda said:
Hi,

I've got a 2004 A3 2.0TDi Sport and I have a few questions.

1. I missed the cut off date for the interior light pack (map lights, footwell lights ect) can all or some of these be retro fitted ?

2. I had a Golf before the A3 and it had a 12V power socket in the boot, again can this be easily be put in?

Part numbers would be great and an idea of cost as well.

Cheers

Scott
PS Great Site :)

[/ QUOTE ]

The second one can definatly be bought for VAGParts.

And I'm pretty sure the first is available from vagparts .. gambba will prolly supply you with the codes from ETKA /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

No Richy its been done without cutting the roof lining.

Ask Tommy35 on tt-forum.co.uk, I think thats his name anyway.

Dave

Well go to tt-forum then.

I'm not the one who has done it.....

DaveA3Turbo

Nobody called Tommy35 on the TT forum.

I'm not pulling you leg on this one.

Seriously someone has fitted an aftermarket 12v socket in the boot. NO joke

Dave

The 12v socket in the boot is easy it's the lights that are the problem.

So,

So, the 12V socket is fairly simple, get the socket from VAG Parts and then where do I get the power source from, is the boot already wired for a 12V socket is there a cable behind some trim?

On the map lights etc, not too fused about the vanity mirrors+light, which would require the headlining to be cut, just the map lights in the centre panel. I had a loan of an SE which had this and the panels look the same size. So surely it would be just a case of getting the replacement panel?

Anyone any ideas about the footwell lights?

Ta

Scott

Sounds like you will need to spend some time with the ETKA disk to see if the parts are compatible. Prices may be shocking as they quite often add up to several times the cost of the original option.

On the wiring front, have a poke around behind the panels to see which wires are running there, trace them back to fuse box to see if they are suitable. If you want to run a high current from the socket it may be worth running a wire from a spare socket in the fuse box.

I also picked up my A3 on Wed and I love it but in all fairness, what were Audi thinkin?? Putting vanity mirror lights and maps as an OPTIONAL EXTRA????

The lights that are standard are VERY bright granted but for Gods sake, Audis aren't cheap, why leave something so silly as an extra!

Ditto. I was specing up an A3 with everythin on and it came to £33K approx

WHo in the right mind would do that with body kit etc....

You can an S4 for only a few K more.

Dave

I had a similar problem with the 12V socket.....

I'd ordered it but the factory forgot to fit it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Still Audi UK Customer Servies came up trumps and sorted it out.....

It goes in on the right hand side trim in the boot.....
You can order a specific trim part withe the hole already cut and a colour matching socket...
or buy the socket and set about your existing trim with a stanley knife /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The more difficult bit is wiring it in..Cars made before week 48 of last year do not have any provision for it in their wiring loom....(like mine) so you have to manually find the correct wires and splice the socket onto them.....

Did you order the storage pack/luggage pack before Dec 03? if so there is a typo in the brochure that sayes the 12v socket is included. You could use this to twist Audi's arm and get them to fit it FOC!!! Worth a shot.....worked for me.

R

Robin,

I think mine had a build week of 6, I guess if I take the trim off in the boot I should find a spare connector that the 12V socket plugs into. Not too keen on cutting up my trim any ideas on the cost (and part no) for the trim and socket.

Unfortunately, I never went with the luggage/storage pack, so I can't use that to twist their arms. Besides I've not been too impressed with the level of customer service I have received from Audi (well the dealer), but that's another story.

Cheers

Scott