Anyone running a T28, GT28 or GT28RS?

excursion

Reaction score
Website
www.mwstewart.co.uk
Looking at S3's now instead of the 4. I love the 4, but i'm starting to think age has been kinder on the S3. Still not sure though...

I've been looking into the 1.8T again now, and want the same power as the stage 3+ kit I was going to import for the S4. Is anyone here running a T28, T3/4, or the one I'm looking at - the GT28RS. I've seena few 400BHP motors on the dyno and they sound awesome. Just want to know what driveability is like.

Cheers.

The conversion i have been quoted on by impossible performance uses a T28. He has quoted me 4 grand for the upgrade to 400bhp. Give Impossible performance a ring, see what he can do for you.

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
The conversion i have been quoted on by impossible performance uses a T28. He has quoted me 4 grand for the upgrade to 400bhp. Give Impossible performance a ring, see what he can do for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the AGU engine! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Blimey. I would trust it with 300+ let alone 400bhp! Must be some serious internal mods to safely run this power on this engine?

Rich

yep, new rods, pistons included in that price /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Oh that's a suprise, I was under the impression stock internals were OK were 400, providing the stock rev ceiling wasn't raised?

The kits in the US for the AEB and later DBW A4 engines do not alter stock internals (bear in mind the AEB dosent use the S3's low comp pistons). These kits put down 376BHP at the wheels on standard internals.

The rods tend to give after 320bhp, but seeing as they would be replaced anyway it seems logical to do the pistons while thats stripped down anyway. The T28 will easily take it to 400bhp, but for more you will need a T3/T4. I think 400bhp in an A3 will have the impreza and evo boys thinking twice before trying to beat ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
The rods tend to give after 320bhp,

[/ QUOTE ]

Not so...
The con rods bend through too much boost in the cylinder...too much torque, not power.
You are much more likely to bend con rod at 4000RPM than at 6500RPM.
Anything more than 320 ish lb-ft on an S3 is putting exessive strain on the standard conrods.

Pistons tend to give up at high power due to the higher revs and temperatures involved.

[ QUOTE ]

I think 400bhp in an A3 will have the impreza and evo boys thinking twice before trying to beat ya /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Except for the fact that the Impreza boys will have a dozen car lengths on you before you've managed to find any grip.
You'd need an LSD / traction control / both to even get close to an Impreza off the line.

And you'll need a bit of help from the big 'man' upstairs to play with the Evos.

400 BHP in a FWD car is great...but in the real world, it's not that great.

Well when I graduate I wanna have some fun before I plough a load of cash into a house. 400BHP in the S3 should give me the same performance as my Fiesta which is what I'm after, but have lots more grip and be nice and comfy.

I had no idea about the rods. The T3/4 is not an ideal turbo, the GT28RS flows a LOT more air than the T3/4. Will have to make some enquiries.

No it's not that bad...I was commenting more on the conversion on an A3, as Stuart was suggesting.

An S3 will handle 400 BHP / 350 lb-ft+...but I wouldn't go betting how long your Haldex will last under that sort of punishment if you abuse it.

Traction control will be taken care of, thats obvious. There is no way you could run 400bhp day in day out without some form of traction control really. In that price also included is an upgraded clutch too.

I should hope so! the standard clutch would last ABOOUT 30 seconds. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

For FWD, racelogic traction control is the way to go. From what i've heard, the more power you feed it, the better it gets!

Converting I see!

We will all be S3 owners in Bournemouth then!

[ QUOTE ]
S3 Mike said:
Converting I see!

We will all be S3 owners in Bournemouth then!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I think I am Mike /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm finding it hard to jusity spending 7k on tuning the v6, when the S3 can be at the same power for half that and will be ultimately quicker /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What about a Jabbasport conversion ie IHI alla scooby turbo,Mike Trulluck's new demo car IHI A3 quattro ,at present 350bhp hoping for 500 bhp?My mates got two IHI jabba cars a ibiza 345bhp and a golf iv 390 bhp.Both mental ,see at tracks days near you ?mid range accelleration destroys scoobys,evos etc and keeps up with ferrari's and porsche's.Cheers Andy

Oh yes! All this talk of 300+ is making me happy haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Do you know I did't think to check their prices first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just did....

One thing I'm not sure on is wheater not not the cat in included in the price. The turbo kit is '340-350' brake, yet the options include a 'sports catalyst (300+)' So what kind of cat is included?!

Other than that it's a fantastically priced kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
Oh yes! All this talk of 300+ is making me happy haha /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Do you know I did't think to check their prices first /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Just did....

One thing I'm not sure on is wheater not not the cat in included in the price. The turbo kit is '340-350' brake, yet the options include a 'sports catalyst (300+)' So what kind of cat is included?!

Other than that it's a fantastically priced kit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Jabbas prices are not very complete. You have to buy alot more than is in the kit. I.e, remap, exhaust, CAT, .etc Come out to be a fair amount more than the stated price. However, still pretty good prices.

Rich

big enough sig pic Mark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

gets a bit annoying once you seen it the first time, then keep seeing it 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 times down the page.

as for 400 bhp, i agree you would need quattro. In FWD thats just crazy

but then how much can the Haldex take in power and torque?

[ QUOTE ]
PaulS3 said:
as for 400 bhp, i agree you would need quattro. In FWD thats just crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah. Dont need quattro. Just bidget for a decent traction control system like racelogic. Can handle that power no problem.

Rich

Rich, I really wasnt sure if the cat came with the kit or not? As for the exhaust I was going to make that myself. Can you supply S3 exhausts, mate?

ATP have just bought out their GT28RS kit:
vvw123-c.jpg

It's £1300 for the the above, which makes the Jabbasport setup seems expensive now.

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
Can you supply S3 exhausts, mate?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Millteks and Magnex

thanks for the sig pic change Mark.

Nice RS4 front to the A4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LOL It got a little abrasvie after a while didn't it?

Rich, I've had Magnex before and I was very pleased. I'm not a fan of loud exhausts, would want something a bit deeper but not really any louder than stock. Tall order I know!

I have heard good things about Miltek too. What price am I looking at? Also can you get sports cat's? Thanks mate.

[ QUOTE ]
excursion said:
LOL It got a little abrasvie after a while didn't it?

Rich, I've had Magnex before and I was very pleased. I'm not a fan of loud exhausts, would want something a bit deeper but not really any louder than stock. Tall order I know!

I have heard good things about Miltek too. What price am I looking at? Also can you get sports cat's? Thanks mate.

[/ QUOTE ]

Milltek is the one if your looking fior sports cats too...

System price is £414.75+vat
CAT - £743.75+vat
-----------
Total: £1158.5+vat
-----------

Altough you can -5% off of this /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bloomin hell, you would need a mortgage for one of those!! thats a lot of money for an exhaust, i have no doubts it is better made than my powerflow but for a 1/3rd of the price, it does the same job.