Engine Conversions.

Stuart_A3_Turbo

Reaction score
Right, before i head anywhere near Impossible performance later this year for big BHP conversion, i wanna know one thing. Is it possible in theory, or has it been done :

Putting the 2.7 twin turbo engine from the RS4 or the 4.2 twin turbo engine from the RS6 into the A3. Im sure ive seen pics of one on here and would like to know who did it, what was needed for it.

I believe i will need......

Engine, loom, gearbox, driveshafts

What else? All help and ideas welcome and before anyone asks, yes i have got loads of money to play with /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

money wont be a problem, sourcing the engine etc will be though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

thing is why buy just an engine.. a friend of a friend of a friend can get you any car u want for under 3k...

except porsche etc..

although not legal.. but if u want it for parts then im sure thats right up your alley.. lol..

no, im praying some poor sod is gonna stack his RS4/RS6 and write it off (not getting hurt in the process, wouldnt wish that on anyone) so i can have the engine etc from the scrappy /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Yeah, there is that MTM S3 thats got the 2.7 bi-turbo.

If money isn't an object, I'd get and S3 or A3 quattro with a dodgy engine for the base.

You're gonna want 4WD

right, i would prefer 4wd, shouldnt be too hard to get it converted etc with the right gearbox driveshafts etc. I may give them a ring and ask about it.

[ QUOTE ]
Stuart_A3_Turbo said:
right, i would prefer 4wd, shouldnt be too hard to get it converted etc with the right gearbox driveshafts etc. I may give them a ring and ask about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bit harder than you may think. completely rubuild the rear end, and the whole floor pan to accomodate the driveshaft. definately easier and cheaper to buy a T quattro.

The RS4/S4 2.7T JUST fits in, but cost would be in excess of £15k, and MTM used a steering rack from a Ford festa to get it to fit. Its not an easy or straight forward job, and most probably would be able to do it.

Why not consider a VR6 engine, and whack a big F*** off supercharger on it, or get THAT twin turbo'd? there is a HGP V6 4 motion golf is Germany pushing out 550bhp from the 2.8VR6. A very tidy installation aswell. This would be a much better conversion and SOOO much cheaper. The work would be a millino times easier as it would be a pretty much straight swap.

Rich

Rich

The fact is Stuart, everything is possible.

Thanks Rich, im just looking into alternative options, i may have money but i dont quite have more than 15k. If i had that much, id have a skyline GTR by now! I have so many plans, i just dont know what to do /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Oh well, 4 grand for 400bhp is starting to look like a very good prospect /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

The HGP twin turbo VR6 does 0-60 in 4.2 seconds /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jawdrop.gif

There was an (IIRC) A!Avantgarde A3 with either the 4.2 or 2.7T (I forget which) but they had to extend the front end just a bit, AND fit the engine longitudinal, forsaking the front wheel drive bits and making it RWD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
There was an (IIRC) A!Avantgarde A3 with either the 4.2 or 2.7T (I forget which) but they had to extend the front end just a bit, AND fit the engine longitudinal, forsaking the front wheel drive bits and making it RWD /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what i would do if I was considering major changes, RWD!! Probably put the engine back there as well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Yup, RWD 4.2 V8 A3
Avantgarde_S_4.2_L_V8_2002-08.jpg

Avantgarde_S_4.2_L_V8_2002-07.jpg

But can't seem to find any info, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif just pics /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Avantgarde_S_4.2_L_V8_2002-08.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

What an intersting prospect:
Take one of the class's worst, most dead and understeering chassis...and add an extra 150Kgs above, and in front of, the front wheel line.

If A3s understeered before...what'll it be like with that monster in the engine bay?

Oh yeah...if you can stop the front ploughing straight on at every conceivable opportunity, it'll snap sidewards under the merest hint of any throttle. Bravo.

What a wonderful conversion...the product of a 'care in the community' programme methinks.

I want a shot, though! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey now, he aked about engine conversions /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

But I think Gambba's idea of planting the engine in the rear would help solve your problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
But I think Gambba's idea of planting the engine in the rear would help solve your problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah...that engine just behind the driver...that'd do it.
Plenty of room up front for radiators and intercoolers too!

You know, you think about it as rationally as ya want, but the IDEA itself of jamming a V8 into an A3 is just...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh_roll.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Hows about planting the engine in the back, and the haldex in the front, therefore making a rear biased 4wd A3 with 500+bhp and a 4,2 V8 twin turbo!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

IIRC the problem with the Haldex was that it was designed for transverse engines, but the V8 is too long to fit in the A3 chassis that way /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif So (once again IIRC) what they did on the V8 above is, modified a torsen setup, and simply excluded the front diff/axle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Do you have a website, Drill? I am so keen to see it....
Actually, there is a european guy who stay here in Bangkok, Thailand, did the conversion like that but I havent seen it. It was my friend who told me that.

Not sure to believe him or not.

I know it is not yours dude. Just want to have more detail. but thanks anyway. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh, whoops
smashfreakB.gif
my bad dude /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

I looked, but couldn't find anything but pics, sorry /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Kim Collins has a S3 (450bhp) with a 2.7 bi-turbo from the RS4 he also took the RS4's 4 wheel drive system too so its real 4 wheel drive, have a search of the forums its in one of them somewhere. When u say cost dosnt matter i think he was quoting 50k to do it again. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue_out.gif

I took the pics at Castle Coombe.

warning these are HUGE some are 2MB, seemed a shame to shrink them for the web.

view actual size for greater detail.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif

450 BHP RS4 powered S3.

my god that car is fantastic!!!

I would sell my left lung and right kidney to have that!!!!!

Shaaaaa-wing!!!!!!!
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/1luvu.gif