Different turbo without remap

HTC

Reaction score
Website
www.b3ta.com
I have been offered a KO3 sport turbo at a good price. I'm assuming that this is a direct swap for my KO3 that I have on my 150bhp A3.

I'm a mechanic so I can fit it myself, but would the car be drivable without a remap, or would the ECU complain?

I'm planning to get the map sorted, but obviously I need to drive the car to wherever I choose to get it chipped.

Also, is this a worthy swap. How much extra would I get over a remaped standard turbo engine?

Thanks.

[ QUOTE ]
HTC said:
I have been offered a KO3 sport turbo at a good price. I'm assuming that this is a direct swap for my KO3 that I have on my 150bhp A3.

I'm a mechanic so I can fit it myself, but would the car be drivable without a remap, or would the ECU complain?

I'm planning to get the map sorted, but obviously I need to drive the car to wherever I choose to get it chipped.

Also, is this a worthy swap. How much extra would I get over a remaped standard turbo engine?

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

The turbo *may* not be a straight swap, as the exhaust side is from a K04, so maybe different to the standard K03. Also, it wouldnt be a great idea to run a different turbo on a map that wasnt meant for it.

Rich

I wouldn't be driving for long. 2 hrs max. Basically, fit the turbo, and then straight to the tuning centre.

If its gonna cause damage, then I'll have to get it there on a trailer as there is no point in me spending extra on the fitting as I do all that myself (unless the fitting is cheaper than the trailer of course!!)

I didn't realise the exhaust side was different. I'll look into that one.

I don't see any problem in fitting a larger turbo on a standard remap, and expect that you will see very little difference between the two once fitted...you just will not be making the most of the K03S.

I would of thought the housings are the same, which is why they are in the K03 category rather than the K04, but that's just a guess.

Well I've just sent 3K an e-mail to see if they can confirm the dimensions and any thoughts on running the K03S on a standard K03 map....so we'll wait and see.

Superb, thanks for doing that Gambba /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Just to confirm, would the K03 sport on an AGU engine make more power? I assume it must, unless I'm missing other important info. Looking at Jabbasport's webpage, they quote approx 20-30 extra BHP for the K03 equipped engines after a remap.

I'm thinking that the K03S' are getting around 10 extra hp out of remaps. I just found out I have a K03S in my ARX TQ and I only got 210 from 150 with my Oettinger remap when SOME Skoda/Seat guys with the same engine have apparently approached 230-240 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

That said, new turbo or not, you'll see a big improvement out of the remap anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

The gains will come from the remap, with the limiting factor of the map being the turbo (amongst other things) and the amount of air you can get through it.

It could well be that you'd see a slight increase in performance just by fitting the turbo, but I have asked Borg Warner (3K) if the characteristics of the two are similar and how the standard K03 map would run a K03S. Obvioulsy the characteristics question can be answered by them but as for the map, well they may have an idea but no real facts.....

Hmm, just thought of something though, isn't the "Limit" on the K03 about 200hp, due to the fact that at those levels the turbo can't safely spin any faster? If so, then the K03S would have pretty much the same problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Or am smoking the /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

200hp is the limit set by 3K on turbo, but definately not the maximum capability of the turbo.

I think the realistic limits of the K03 turbo are around the 230-250hp mark.

Just received a positive response saying that the 3K engineer is looking into my e-mail. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Two of my mates have swapped their turbos to k03s ,both seat ibiza cupras,both have fmic ,cai, full milltek,4bar fpr and Jabba remaps.Cars same spec apart from one has a autotechnics turbo intake pipe.One got 249bhp and 274 lbft and other got 240 bhp and 260 lb ft.Driven one and the difference from standard car with revo is amazing,midrange is really good.Jabba said injectors were at their limit though,so an bigger set would be better.Should have some performance figures soon from a test session at brunty for Golf magazine at which 2 IHI ibizas attended(1 jabba,1 badger5)Mate is also selling new and secondhand light use turbos ko3,ko3s and ko4 see seatcupra.net for details.Will be trying simular mods on my car ie fmic ,cai,S3 milltek,high flow cat ,but with bigger injectors and maybe K04?.Watch this space /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gifCheers Andy.