New Mitsubishi EvolutionX - That quick??

ash_s3

Reaction score
Just raced a white 08 plate evoX, never even seen one before!
Saw him in the rear view mirror overtake the car behind me, so i dropped it and booted it so he couldnt overtake, took him ages to get past me, seemed like there wasnt much in it. I was able to follow him pretty closely and it was only because he was driving like an idiot that he got away! (overtaking on corners)

It really stank tho i wonder if there was something up with it or whether the power was limited for running the engine in or something..

Just seemed very weird..
Maybe he wasn't trying, definetly looked like he was though! Didnt look happy when i floored it!

:idea: Well its not prob not even run in yet(being 08 reg) so that could have someting to do with it?

A guy in a Ford Focus ST tried his hand on me yesterday....it got wasted:blow: .

Mike

Are the 08's not out tomorrow?

Probably a delivery driver taking it somewhere

Perhaps been told there's no way he's to take it over 5,000 revs or something.

I'd expect it to be much quicker than an 8l S3 going by the way any std Sti or evo V-IV destroys them( as standard) - perhaps not an 8P tho, probably a much closer thing.

treblesykes said:
who cares as the evo is pig ugly

wow have u not seen the new one? the most mad styling ever seen out of japan!

just a volvo x laguna mongrel with halfords bits nailed on

Id never seen one before, looked like a concept car!
If he was a delivery driver id be pretty ******-off if it was my car, was kicking up chippings and all sorts, as for the smell - could have been my clutch! Its ******! being done tomorrow though

the evo x is less powerful that the evo 9. and its not a terribly light car, so anything is possible

im sure it must be to do with running the engine in or something. theres no way that an evo x fully run in would have any difficulty taking over an s3

S3 Rav said:
im sure it must be to do with running the engine in or something. theres no way that an evo x fully run in would have any difficulty taking over an s3

I totally agree...these cars are normally impreza beaters...... and we all know how the S3 fairs up against them things....

ash_s3 said:
Just raced a white 08 plate evoX, never even seen one before!
Saw him in the rear view mirror overtake the car behind me, so i dropped it and booted it so he couldnt overtake, took him ages to get past me, seemed like there wasnt much in it. I was able to follow him pretty closely and it was only because he was driving like an idiot that he got away! (overtaking on corners)

It really stank tho i wonder if there was something up with it or whether the power was limited for running the engine in or something..

Just seemed very weird..
Maybe he wasn't trying, definetly looked like he was though! Didnt look happy when i floored it!

If this is a single carriage road we're talking about, and he had to overtake you using the contraflowing lane, then I was think that the EvoX was much more powerful.

It requires more power than you think to overtake another car on a single carriage road, when the car you're overtaking is flooring it.

Though having said that, it's more down to the driver in single carriage overtaking contests.

I managed to overtake hot hatches etc and leave them behind in overtaking maneovers when I use to drive a nissan micra. The micra only had 80bhp...:rockwoot:

Conversley, I've been overtaken by people and left for dead who drive much more modest cars. It all depends how mad you are in overtaking....

All this talk of Evo, Impreza vs S3 is all just theoritical, because in practice the guy or gal behind the wheel makes about 90% of the difference on the road.

true but if uv got an evo x and an s3 both putin there foot down the evo would leave it surely.

The Evo wouldnt take as much driver 'effort' to beat an S3 IMO, although i agree with what Glen is saying..... I took a 225 TT in my 150 1.8T on a straight....he probably had no idea how to use his 6speed box...as i didnt when i got the S3 lol.

So many varying factors.......

I really hope that wasn't on a single carrigeway, if you'd done that and I was trying to overtake you I'd be pretty ****** off as well.

The differences between cars are very hard to tell on the road unless you actually know the other person IMO, otherwise there's just too many don't knows.

It cant possibly be run in and whoever owns it has either had it for 5 mins or its some salesman driving it around.

Who cares what it looks like, IMO its a piece of fantastic engineering on wheels

I think the Evo x looks awesome! Far better than the old model. I wish they had kept is as per the concept,though, although it is pretty close.
Wait til there are a few kicking about wiht some big moody dark wheels on!! Oh the interior is a amssive improvement too.

Got to say, despite what the magazines say/claim on performance figures, out on the road is a different matter! Evo's main advantage is the trick 4wd system(AYC-Active Yaw Control) which allows the car to use every last BHP to the maximum, which on a straight road doesn't do much really. Even in a rolling start drag race, yes the evo will pull away, but not in a supercar type of pullaway, just one that means it's faster than your car if you get what I mean...

Just for the record. Im not at all saying i beat an Evo or anything like that!
My dad used to have a 2003 Impreza STi prodrive 310bhp and it was seriously rapid, would beat my S3 hands down.
Just saying ive never seen one before and when one tried to overtake me he seemed to struggle, im 99% sure it was down to a **** driver, even a non-run in engine should rinse an S3 all day long.

BTW. It was on a single carrige road, at night, on a long straight about 4miles from my house, so could see there was nothing coming. I dont make a habit of booting it when someone ties to overtake me, im not an idiot.

I dont think any1 was suggesting you are mate lol

It makes more sense tho if he was trying to overtake you coming from behind, pulling out and getting past then in again if you were both flooring it. It probably wasn't run in and he was probably somebody with no experience of the car either.

I'd like to see one, look quite good from the mag shoots but nothing compares to seeing a car in real life really.

My previous car was a PPP'd STI which are 305bhp from a generic map. Incidently it has been pointed out on certain Impreza forums that the cars rarely made the claimed figures on rolling roads.

I have to agree that the Impreza would crucify the S3 and even in standard 265bhp form it would comfortably pull away.
Evo's are proven to be quicker than Impreza's so i'm fairly sure your encounter was with a crap driver, running in or simply just wasn't trying.
Evo's are in a different league to S3's which in my opinion are very tame.
Nik.

ash_s3 said:
Just for the record. Im not at all saying i beat an Evo or anything like that!
My dad used to have a 2003 Impreza STi prodrive 310bhp and it was seriously rapid, would beat my S3 hands down.
Just saying ive never seen one before and when one tried to overtake me he seemed to struggle, im 99% sure it was down to a **** driver, even a non-run in engine should rinse an S3 all day long.

BTW. It was on a single carrige road, at night, on a long straight about 4miles from my house, so could see there was nothing coming. I dont make a habit of booting it when someone ties to overtake me, im not an idiot.

S3 NIK said:
Evo's are in a different league to S3's which in my opinion are very tame.
Nik.

We all know that S3s are just an executive family hatchback with a small 1800 engine with a turbo bolted on

Blimey, Another lets slag the S3 thread:blush: cmon you lot surely you didnt buy your S3 to be the fastest car on the road! we all know evos are faster most jap cars are but the all round package is no where near the S3, My mate has an Evo 1v 276 bhp and ive driven it several times and on the same roads whilst i know its quicker and feels more planted but the diference is not massive! I wouldn`t call it an executive family hatch or luke warm hot hatch that could be outpaced by a fiesta st like somoene wrote on here! And as regards the evo being pig ugly Yeah Damn right it is:aggressive: cos its as hard as nails!!! i will put my tin hat on now!

ideal scenario is an S3 and an Evo for me..agressive weekend car thats mental..... as for the Evo(;o), na i love the Evo, but call me an old man (at 28), i love the all round package you get with the S3..... no regrets

6070703.002.1M.jpg

this a personal opinion of mine, wots so special about this one i think it looks c**t to be honest. S3 anyday.

S3ren said:
6070703.002.1M.jpg

this a personal opinion of mine, wots so special about this one i think it looks c**t to be honest. S3 anyday.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, it's not a looker for me, but it looks hard, and you would move over quickly if you saw one in your rear view mirror.

To me Evo's look pretty good and imagine one would be a hoot to drive but there a bit 'look at me I think im a rally driver' kind of car ;)

I prefer the understated look of the S3 anyday :)

Thats it , it all depends what you want out of your car , ive never driven a Evo or decent Scooby , but i'd imagine the handling and grip is stunning and the speed would be mental!

I just don't like the look of them , and the intierior is a matter of taste.

I wanted a car i like the look of, great build , fantastic intierior , and fast-ish STD, and in time spend 1-2k to get 350bhp, and a set of decent springs or coilovers! that will do me.

p

Very much agreed, I couldnt have a car like a performance evo or scooby simply because I dont fancy scum team busting into the house for the keys, opportunist chav ripping me out of it at the lights and every muppet and his dog trying to race me when I just want some milk.

I love evo's and scoobies, I would never own one though, each to there own yet again. I prefer a sleeper car that gets no attention.

the last 3 statements sum up entirely my thoughts.... i love the Evo.... its a shame where the stereotypical impreza driver is at the moment....

In summary, these cars have their uses... however, they are never going to be subtle

Damn nice that new Evo.... ;o)

There's an evo for sale in the classifieds, looks wicked to me, i'd have that all day long.

Remember this?
[ytv]8TWEiXR3Cf4[/ytv]

S3 would have NO chance.