Steering play

mareksio

Reaction score
Hi all
My girlfriend is planning to buy a '97 1.6 Sport at the moment, and we have found one that seems prety decent, except for one thing - if the car is stationary and switched off and you wiggle the steering wheel, there is a small amount of play accompanied by a clunk. It's not the first car we've looked at with this trait, and i'm sure it cannot be a good thing? The car has done 74k with a full audi history.
Has anyone come across this? If it's a problem with the track rod ends or bushes, I should be able to get the dealer to sort them out before the sale; but could it be a worn rack signalling expensive repairs??

Any advice would be much appreciated,

Marek

no, when the key is in the 1 position so the steering lock off. It is also the same when the engine is running, but a little harder to detect since the power steering is on.
Just wondering if this is a common thing among a3s?

i see a lot of worn track rod ends worn on A4's on mot's giving play on steering wheel and at road wheel's not sure about A3's only mot'ed one, they have the same setup get someone to rock the steering while you check the end's ,if there is play in the rack you change the tie arm's it's a lot cheaper then the hole rack

My cars in today for more or less this reason. The car pulls to the left so it having a full alignment check. There is quite a bit of play in the steering wheel before the turning happens and I suspect is bent somewhere.

Ok, cheers - i'll see if the dealer will get it sorted before purchase

Cars alignment has been sorted now. Its more or less runs dead straight on the motorway, plus steering wheel is straight as well /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. Theres still a bit of play but I'm not overly worried about this.