Suspension mods

Woodster

Welcome to my world...
Reaction score
Website
woodys-tvr.blogspot.com
Hi

I think it's now time to look at the suspension on the S3. I'm not really wanting to lower the machine (loads of crap roads and speed humps where I live /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif) but I want to liven it up a bit...I'm thinking new rear (and maybe front) ARB's and a better set of shocks.

I think I know what ARBs I need thanks to duncs post on the subject but what's everyones thoughts on the shocks?

I also have a problem that sometimes when I go over a pot hole the ESP kicks in!?! I don't know if anyone else has this problem? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Rich

[ QUOTE ]
Woody_S3 said:

I also have a problem that sometimes when I go over a pot hole the ESP kicks in!?! I don't know if anyone else has this problem? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think this is a problem. I suspect that when you go over the pothole one of the wheels is going 'light' the ESP thinks its losing traction so kicks the ESP in.

I'm in the same situation as Woody, am consdiering upgrading my suspension but don't want to lower the car as there are too many speed bumps on my most travelled routes (no way to avoid them). Also, my front suspension creaks badly although this could just be the bushes.

Quattro GmbH suspension?

I have this fitted from factory.

20mm lower and stiffer/uprated

fine with speedbumps round here.

AmD can retro fit it.

I have H&K coilovers on my S3. These are adjustable and I have them set to maximum ground clearence, which results in a drop of about 25 millimetres compared to the standard S3. It is the best thing I have had done for my S3, giving vastly improved road maners when both driving spiritedly and round town. Plus speed bumps aren't a problem if you take them at a reasonable speed.

Dan

Leave the springs alone...they are fine if you are happy with the look.

Fit a set of Bilstein or Koni dampers (only suggest those as I've personal experience with them...there will be others that are good - but of those two go for the Billsteins!)

Fit a set of Neuspeed uprated ARBs or the R32 F+R set.

You can TRY to add a bit of front negative camber to add a bit of front end bite...but you are going to struggle on standard springs as negative gets added as you lower...you may get -0.5 degrees per side if you are lucky. Every little helps.

That would leave you with a neutral handling car that feels much tighter in the corners, with standard ground clearance and that feels hardly any stiffer over potholes etc.

It's not going to be cheap to do it properly though...

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for that, can you recommend any places to get them fitted "up North"? I'm in Leeds..

Are Awesome-GTI ok? They're not that far away...wrong side of the pennines but it'd be worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Ess_Three said:
Leave the springs alone...they are fine if you are happy with the look.

Fit a set of Bilstein or Koni dampers (only suggest those as I've personal experience with them...there will be others that are good - but of those two go for the Billsteins!)

Fit a set of Neuspeed uprated ARBs or the R32 F+R set.

You can TRY to add a bit of front negative camber to add a bit of front end bite...but you are going to struggle on standard springs as negative gets added as you lower...you may get -0.5 degrees per side if you are lucky. Every little helps.

That would leave you with a neutral handling car that feels much tighter in the corners, with standard ground clearance and that feels hardly any stiffer over potholes etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Woody_S3 said:
Thanks for that, can you recommend any places to get them fitted "up North"? I'm in Leeds..

Are Awesome-GTI ok? They're not that far away...wrong side of the pennines but it'd be worth it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Awesome will be spot on.
It was with Awesome that I sussed out the NMuespeed ARB combinations some time ago...so they'll be able to get / fit them for you...I would bet on about £400-500 supplied, fitted and set up.

I'm sure Awesome can also supply and fit Bilsteins or Konis, but it's probably worth asking for their recommendation on that subject.
I just can't see past the Bilsteins...so that'd be mine.

Awesome are also good at eeking out a bit of negative camber...they know the score, they've done enough to know how to get it, and how much to add.

Hightly recommended.

...and yes, it'd be worth it.

[ QUOTE ]
Woody_S3 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Happened to me at local roadworks a few weeks back, I was only doing about 20MPH at the time. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Funny bit of rutted road and it got well confused for a second /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I'm considering getting Bilsteins on my standard springs at some point. I did it with my A4 and it wasn't even sports springs. Made a big difference.

I can recommend Awesome too. They've done all my mods and are really professional, friendly and knowledgable.

And they're the right side of the Pennines /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Dan

Thanks for all the help lads, I'll give them a call for a quote when I get some cash, hopefully in the next 2 weeks

I'll see what they quote me for both the R32 and Neuspeed ARBs and what there thoughts are on the shocks to compliment them

...and I'll have to dig out my passport for the drive across the M62 into the unknown... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Rich

I have Koni shocks and H&R springs, in terms of handling it is better than when my car was stock - i think personally the car inspires more confidence as turn in is vastly improved - but - after 6 months + with them I would say they are just too hard for the road IMO - great on a circuit which is ultra smooth but can really start to grate when driving to and from work - so if you get the chance to try some out first - that would be worthwhile.

PS - Regarding the whole R32 roll bar setup - AMD recommended this to me but I was unsure as the front bar is 24mm and the rear 19mm

Dunc