S3 Anti-roll bars

I shall watch this subject with interest as i have just bought a a3 quattro,am already impressed with grip on standard 16's and i don't want to ruin the ride(getting old) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifBut i would like to try some cheap mods such as these,how much of a difference would 17's make,cause my rims are curbed anyway.Had a vr6 mk2 jetta which was a handful ,changed to koni's (better),changed arb's to neuspeed items with a huge 28mm rear .The handling was transformed ,made trackdays much more fun ,but could still feel the extra weight in the front.Noise made it worth it though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gifAndy

Andy if you are impressed with the grip on 16s then you'll love 17s

I had upgraded the wheels 2 weeks before doing the suspension and going form a 205 to 225 made a massive difference and that was on knackered 96,000 mile shoks, it seemed to steer and brake much stronger and more precise.

I fitted the Koni adjustables and H&R springs as the shoks needed doing for the MOT and it has made cornering far more fun, the springs are progresive so you don't notice much difference arround town but the harder you fling it the harder they become.

haven't managed to adjust them yet, the key on the top of the struts doesn't want to turn, but i will get that sorted when it goes in for 4 wheel alignment.

However I do feel it's not quite perfect you do still get body roll when going arround roundabouts hard, I would hope this would be improved by a thicker ARB.

The problem is how stiff to go, I think the neuspeed is a bit over the top for me so I am torn between the 4motion and the R32 but I would still like to hear more feedback

Andy, another thing to look into is an upper strut brace /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've got a std S3 suspension and an S3 strut brace on my A3TQ and combined with the 17's it COMPLETELY transformed the handling of my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

[ QUOTE ]
ANDYTQ said:
Drill,excuse the pun when fitting the strut brace how does it fit on ,did you have to drill strut turrets and do you have a part no and price .Cheers Andy.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to drill 3 holes in each turret, which is not too difficult... just have to make sure its all lined up correctly otherwise it can be an expensive mistake!!! Make sure you use stainless steel bolts and use stainless nyloc nuts, and lock washers.

Rich

Thanks Rich, no 'net at the house and had yesterday off, so I didn't get to answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/beerchug.gif

Also Andy, when doing this, it's been recommended to put the front on jack stands and pull the tires so as to remove any weight on the front suspension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Thanks Rich, no 'net at the house and had yesterday off, so I didn't get to answer /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also Andy, when doing this, it's been recommended to put the front on jack stands and pull the tires so as to remove any weight on the front suspension /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

No worries!

One thing i would note is how much of a pain in the **** it is to tighten up the bolts... the suspension just gets in the way.

Rich

ps - after drilling the holes, remember to rust-proof the holes!

[ QUOTE ]
Drill said:
Andy, another thing to look into is an upper strut brace /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I've got a std S3 suspension and an S3 strut brace on my A3TQ and combined with the 17's it COMPLETELY transformed the handling of my car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goofy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]Drill just purchased shocks and springs off a s3,might also have sourced a 6 speed box,just got to get wheels and front brace. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gifAndy

Andy, cost-effective, and you'll notice an improvement /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/heart.gif Let me know how the 6-speed goes on /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

A3 97-R 1.8T: Which part number are you asking about.... the Strut Brace? If so, I'd recommend taking THAT number in to your dealer, then asking for whichever brace fitted the 1997 S3 just in case there were any small changes made /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wait a minute.... when did they start making the S3?? Anyway, my point was, when I go in to order parts, be they from a TT or a Golf or an S3 (I have parts from all 3 on my A3 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile_smoking.gif) I ask for the 2001 versions just to be safe /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif I'm pretty sure the 2001 S3 Strut brace will work on your 97 A3, but check into it a bit to be sure /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hope I didn't confuse you as much as I confused myself /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

The 8L9-805-629-A strut brace was used on all S3's since the start of production, so i would think that the question is more likely to be if there were any changes in or around the strut towers on the A3 at the time of facelift.....and I think the answer is no....but I could be wrong.

[ QUOTE ]
Gambba said:
The 8L9-805-629-A strut brace was used on all S3's since the start of production, so i would think that the question is more likely to be if there were any changes in or around the strut towers on the A3 at the time of facelift.....and I think the answer is no....but I could be wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a face lift 2001 model and Rich and I fitted the S3 strut straight on, no problems. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/groovy.gif

getting back to the subject of anti roll bars.

I have just orderd a 23mm ARB from Vagparts £38.45 + VAT apparently mine has a 21MM as standard so a 2 mm increase.

Pre 2001 1.8T has a 20MM and the 1.8T Sport has 21mm

post 2000 have a 19MM

I asked about the rear but was told I don't have one! it is only fitted to Quattro or S3.

I also asked abut the strut brace and yes it is the same for all and is only £33.94 + vat.

however it was said that you would only really notice it if you were really hammering it on a track or you have a diesel.

it should arrive next week so I will update with my findings

It does on fwd cars ,rear upgrade arb fits onto rear beam on brackets with links to rear shock bolts so you have 2 arb's on the back.Quattro rear arbs will not fit fwd cars ,totally different suspension ie multilink .Cheers Andy.P.S. Any updates Rich?

Rich, now that you've had some time with the new setup, how do you find it in the wet?

Also, there seems to be a bit of confusion on this thread about increasing the rear ABR resulting in less rear end grip rather than more front end grip? Given that the R32 has (I'm told) better handling than the S3 with it's much thicker bars (and dampers to cope), I'm assuming that the rear 1mm increase doesn't necessarily decrease rear grip.

Rich,any updates please as i am about to fit the S3 shocks,springs ,strut braces and will order the arb if its working ok on your car.Strut braces were very cheap £41 for the upper ,£13 for the lower, many thanks guys .Cheers Andy.

is that me? I'm Neil!

The Roll Bar is absolutley excellent, I can now hug the inside of roundabouts without under steering off into the outside curb.

The Neuspeed bar has 3 varying stiffness settings, I have it on the middle at the moment and have not noticed any adverse overteer in the wet and ice we've had recently, I am tempted to give it a whirl on the hardest setting just to see what happens.

you notice that the car doesn't load up at the front so much when cornering hard, the steering feels more precise (you can change lanes on the motorway like a switch) and body roll is majorly reduced.

I haven't got round to fitting the 23MM front one and to be honest I don't think I'll bother, it's amaizing that changing the rear makes such a difference to the front of the car.

the only funny thing I have noticed is when you jack up the front of the car the back now follows so its easy to access the whole side /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/lol.gif

Simon, thanks for the heads up, it was on the rear bar I was considering for now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Drill, good to know it's made a difference.

BTW, I tried to post this earlier and the sites up/down nature is making things a pain.

Did you change the camber settings at the front and if so did it feel better.Also have ordered rear arb 16mm.Strut brace does not fit though "YET" ,the bonnet lifter is in the way,now where was that disc cutter!I must have ordered wrong no for year ,i'm sure i can get it to fit though.Happy days,cheers Andy.

Andy, that's the right number, but confirm that it's the same number on the brace itself, just to be safe. Also, any chance you can put up a pic of your brace? It SHOULD fit, so if it doesn't I'm very curious as to why not /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

I really think you'll be happy with the S3 suspension. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif Naturally it's not as good as an aftermarket setup, but cost vs improvement, I think getting the S3 suspension under MY TQ is the 2nd best thing I've done to it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Getting back onto the rear ARB issue, my 99 S3 runs on 19" alloys. Will the 1 mm increase in rear ARB thickness and camber/toe in adjustment have the same effect on my car, or are there other issuesinvolved? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
GBH

Thanks Drill i did have wrong brace in the right packaging,it has been reported to audi main warehouse now after 3 attempts by dealer.Fitted S3 shocks and springs ,much better,fitted rear arb 16mm ,seems better but not as much of a difference as the shocks made,lower brace on and when weather is better i shall fit top one.S3 exhaust next to go on will then buy some decent wheels and tyres.Cheers Andy

I had a good look at possible camber increase but not much adjustment on a3 quattro,has anyone fitted S3 wishbones on one of these cars to get the extra adjustment?Also someone said that if the camber is adjusted on the lower arms/ball joint the castor will be altered is this true and what affect will this have?Thanks Andy.