handling question

Ryanc

Reaction score
Hi, i was wondering why the s3 has handling which is described as "wooden" but the r32 is the journos favourite,we are both running the haldex system on the same platform so what are the differences??Also i noticed on my s3 (1999) model does not have a front strut bar i have noticed this on other 1999 model s3's don't seem to have it.There is apparently a lower strut bar aswell although i have not investigated to see if thats there yet,regards Ryan

Ryan,

You are right, I have seen other 99 S3s without front strut bar also.

R32 - well here you go:

quicker steering rack
(I think) Bilstein shocks and uprated springs

Its enough to make a difference, I've driven the R32 and out of the box it feels much better than a standard S3

Dunc

cheers dunc,
how many strut braces does a s3 have??is there a rear one?I've heard of the upper and lower,although never seen a lower yet?I could order a front strut brace but i don't have the holes pre-drilled so i'd have to drill them myself.regards Ryan

[ QUOTE ]
DuncS3 said:
R32 - well here you go:

quicker steering rack
(I think) Bilstein shocks and uprated springs

Its enough to make a difference, I've driven the R32 and out of the box it feels much better than a standard S3

[/ QUOTE ]

Dunc,
Don't forget the 18" wheels and smaller sidewalls...thet help tighten up the chassis feel too.

The main difference for me, is in the ARBs and springs / dampers.

Even with that heavy VR6 high up over the front axle, it still feels sharper than a standard S3...but add similar ARBs and spring / damper combinations to the S3 and it comes alive.