broken spring whilst on holiday :-(

btmotorsport

Soon be christmas!!!!!!!!!!
Reaction score
well, whilst trying to enjoy a holiday in northern scotland one of my front springs decided to snap. great. Found local garage and he has replaced the o/s spring and top mount (£180!!!!!!! ouch). I wanted to do both sides but cant afford it at the mo. I did tell him that it was a sport model and thus has slightly lower suspension. Picked the car up this morning and surprise surprise it isnt sitting right. The o/s seems to be about 10mm higher. I also noticed that the n/s top mount is sitting higher than the other (ie its protruding more from the turret). This doesnt seem right at all. The car feels ok although i cant test in on a dual carridgeway or motorway until i get home. I did hear the guy quote the reg when he ordered the parts (non gen). I think its the wrong spring. Will it settle at all? Have driven about 35 miles today with no change. Please can anyone shed some light on this?????

Cheers for reading!

checked out the mounts this morning and the new one is gen and is correct. does anyone know if i can expect the car to settle or could the ride height be due to a worn top mount????

the top mount do squash down over time. someone on here changed their mount and gained about 10mm per side. so you could change the other one and bring it in line but they will both be higher than before! i believe the springs will settle a little but will prob be uneven if you dont change them both

cheers dude! hopefully, as you say it'll settle a bit. only time will tell. I'm prob gonna lower it when i put some bigger wheels on so i guess it's not the end of the world

when I changed top mounts I went UP 15mm per side! the old ones were VERY squished in comparison to the brand new ones.

Give it a few weeks, and it'll settle a bit, but nowhere near as much as the other side I wouldnt think. You really need to do both.

yeah they should wear in, if you wanted them sitting the same you should of replaced both sides.

Cheers for the input troops! I would have done both sides if i was at home but i'm about 400 miles away! Seems better every time i drive it, think i was just being a bit parnoid!!!!! Thanks again for everyones help. Just gotta sell the mk2 at ultimate dubs then i can stuck into the audi, woohoo :icon_thumright: